+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Having problem provide all required evidence to prove our common-law .

pk8914

Sep 1, 2011
we are planing to apply CEC with sponsorship in Nov, we have been gathering information, but we realize that there are some documents we can't not provide. Seeking for help.

if you have a common-law partner, complete and include form entitled Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (IMM 5409) and provide evidence that you have cohabited with your partner for a period of at least 12 continuous months such as:
• copies of joint bank account statements • copies of leases • utility bills, etc.
Note: The evidence you submit should list both names.

all evidence but joint bank statement is not showing both our names, but we do have lots of bills and statement showing same address.
I try to add her name on my cellphone or cable , but most company will not allow two names appear on one account.
The fact is that we have been living together since May 2009 , but we didnt have joint bank account untill 2011 Feb.
we don't have rental leases either
we have our option-c showing we are common law.
we can provide statutory declaration- witness for common-law relationship two

are we in troubles? do i have to provide all this information or some. is any more information we will have to submit?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Bills that come to the same address, even if with only one name, can be used. For example, if the phone and electricity bill are in her name, and the cable and water bill are in his, but all with the same address, it is evidence you live together.
You can get an affidavit from your landlord stating you two have been living together since 2009.
If I were you, however, I would also wait and not submit the application until February 2012 - the one-year anniversary of the joint bank account, since it is the only 'perfect' evidence you have.

aerogurl87

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-02-13
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Med's Done....
23-04-2012
Interview........
WAIVED!!!! :)
Passport Req..
12-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
I agree with canadianwoman, I'd wait till February 2012 to submit your application since that's the one year anniversary of the joint account together. If you had an actual lease together with both of you on it, that would be strong evidence, but since you don't wait until your strongest evidence is 12 months long and submit it.

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
I think it could be done with the evidence you have now plus an something from your landlord stating you lived together, but it would be a lot safer if you waited until you had irrefutable proof. Don't forget to collect any other proof that you can if you do decide to wait, like any cards or letters addressed to you both at the same address, official papers of any kind (bank, school, work etc) that state your address, evidence of sharing household affairs (buying groceries, making household purchases w/ joint account) and things like that.

MDSB

Feb 16, 2011
Scotland
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-06-2011
AOR Received.
28-07-2011
File Transfer...
13-07-2011
Med's Done....
16-05-2011
Passport Req..
07-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
31-10-2011
If you are worried check this out for the types of evidence they are looking for - page 21... http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

I think your evidence sounds good to me...Copies of joint bank account statements, copies of leases, utility bills etc are examples of evidence but it is not a necessity to provide everything on the list... If you don't have all of these then provide anything else you have such as joint wedding invites, Christmas cards addressed to you both. Stat decs from friends and families. Photos. Letters from your doctor, bank manager etc. What about insurances policies? Gym membership? Also I think the length of time you have had the joint bank account is fine - I think this is a reasonable period of time. This will at least prove you are committed to one another. I wouldn't wait until Feb 2012.
I think a letter/stat dec from your landlord is a good idea confirming the date you moved in...

My advice is to look at the list in the manual and provide what you can. If they want more they will request it. Good luck

GetUsHome

Star Member
Mar 24, 2011
And what we found out the hard way is if you can't provide something then you need to give the reason why you can't provide it.

If only one name is allowed on utilities then say you tried to get your partner added but it is not allowed by your utility company. Get utility company policy stating this.

If you don't have wills explain you are 21 and still immortal and hadn't thought about it yet.

If you don't have car insurance together explain that you don't own a car, or only one of you drives. Or that you have two different cars that you had prior to relationship and she can't drive your giant truck and you don't drive her little car... oh, wait that was us. :)

We had to print our text messages out of our iphones and it was amazing how much proof that really was.

Good luck we are common-law and you do have to try a bit harder.