+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Having PR, can i vist Canada for 1-2 weeks and retun to India

draviki

Star Member
Apr 24, 2015
Hello Everyone,

After, a person receives a PR, can he/she visit Canada for 1-2 weeks, complete the initial formalities and then return to India to wrap up things back home. or does a person need to stay 2-3 months in Canada before coming back.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
draviki said:
Hello Everyone,

After, a person receives a PR, can he/she visit Canada for 1-2 weeks, complete the initial formalities and then return to India to wrap up things back home. or does a person need to stay 2-3 months in Canada before coming back.
You can stay just a day in Canada if you want. Once you land and complete the formalities, you are only subject to regulations on how long permanent residents can stay away from Canada and retain their permanent residence. You can definitely be away for a few months following your landing to wrap things up and get ready to move.

cindy2006

Star Member
Mar 8, 2015
My lawyer suggest that we should not travel after landing until we receive the PR card. It's better to make sure because immigration regulations have changed a lot over the past few years.

cindy2006

Star Member
Mar 8, 2015
If you don't have a PR CARD, you need apply for the travel document for permanent resident to return to Canada . I think you should stay in Canada until you have your PR CARD as suggested by my lawyer. You may have trouble returning to Canada on your next entry.

caththisking

Nov 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Passport Req..
18-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-09-2015
LANDED..........
Planning in DEC 2015
draviki said:
Hello Everyone,

You can do that without any issues. Just make sure you provide any of your friend residence address for PR card and ask them to send it to you safely. You can travel with that card next time when you are ready to come(may be a year or 2 also fine no issues).
So many people have done this successfully and even I am planing to do landing this Christmas and will be back in 3 days. After 6months I will be going back to settle permanently.

caththisking

Nov 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-04-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Passport Req..
18-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-09-2015
LANDED..........
Planning in DEC 2015
cindy2006 said:
My lawyer suggest that we should not travel after landing until we receive the PR card. It's better to make sure because immigration regulations have changed a lot over the past few years.
Lawyers will play safe so that you won't blame them later. Once you are PR its not so easy to revoke involuntarily it unless they can prove something very dangerous on us. No issues.

jhutti

Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cindy2006 said:
Stick to ur lawyer advice. Else without PR card u cannot enter back to canada. Their is no guarantee that ur friend can post u PR card after 2-3 months. For reasons
1 Some time CIC ask for new photo update before issuing PR card. New photo needs to be taken in canada
2. Some times canada post postman return the PR card if he / she u r not living in address etc

If you are outside canada and want to return back with no PR card in hand. U have to apply for visa. If visa received good else bye bye to canadian PR

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jhutti said:
Stick to ur lawyer advice. Else without PR card u cannot enter back to canada. Their is no guarantee that ur friend can post u PR card after 2-3 months. For reasons
1 Some time CIC ask for new photo update before issuing PR card. New photo needs to be taken in canada
2. Some times canada post postman return the PR card if he / she u r not living in address etc

If you are outside canada and want to return back with no PR card in hand. U have to apply for visa. If visa received good else bye bye to canadian PR
Everyone can ignore this.

A PR outside of Canada without a PR card can apply for a PRTD. For a new PR, this is a very easy process because there is no question of not meeting the RO; the PRTD would not be refused.

shirebikes

Star Member
Oct 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
16th April
No in essense - you need to get your PR card which is currently running at 12 weeks to obtain. You can apply for a temp one, but they ask for a 'genuine reason' before they issue it, which i gather is such things like funerals etc.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:

A PR outside of Canada without a PR card can apply for a PRTD. For a new PR, this is a very easy process because there is no question of not meeting the RO; the PRTD would not be refused.
This is absolutely correct. Do you guys think they don't have computers to tell them who is a PR and who is not?? They will give you the travel document outside to return with. Then you can either pick up your PR card at that point, or you can do as someone else suggested and have it sent to a friend in Canada who can send it safely on to you.

jhutti

Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:

Ha ha. Everyone can ignore and receive whatever they like or understand. It is imp that person can do so with knowlege of repulculsions. I have seen both cases where people loose PR status since they cannot get hold of PR card being outside canada. And on other hand people get PRTD within 5 working days of applying. Best of luck everyone with thier adventure

anttor

Star Member
Mar 8, 2015
from CIC - As of March 15, 2016, permanent residents returning to Canada by airplane will be verified before boarding to ensure they hold a valid permanent resident card (PR card) or travel document. Don’t delay – get your PR card today. This card is official proof that you are a permanent resident of Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
anttor said:
from CIC - As of March 15, 2016, permanent residents returning to Canada by airplane will be verified before boarding to ensure they hold a valid permanent resident card (PR card) or travel document. Don't delay – get your PR card today. This card is official proof that you are a permanent resident of Canada.
As others have said, you don't have to wait for a PR card before leaving Canada. If you leave Canada without your PR card, you can obtain a Travel Document from outside of Canada that will allow you to return.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jhutti said:
Ha ha. Everyone can ignore and receive whatever they like or understand. It is imp that person can do so with knowlege of repulculsions. I have seen both cases where people loose PR status since they cannot get hold of PR card being outside canada. And on other hand people get PRTD within 5 working days of applying. Best of luck everyone with thier adventure
If a person was refused a PRTD and lost their PR status, then they didn't meet the RO and had their status rightfully revoked.

Those who meet the RO or will be able to meet the RO, such as new PRs, will not be refused a PRTD.