+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Having child outside Canada

dinodn

Aug 22, 2016
Me and wife, both PR since less than 2 years, having our first baby in couple of months.
Now our situation is, there is no one here in city to take care of her except few friends. With time goes, I am sure she need more attention which I may or may not be able to provide due to office hours. Hence we discussed of sending her back to our home country, have baby there where she will be with her parents and relatives all the time. My plan is to then apply PR for baby and bring them back. Bringing parents here is not possible due to their health issues and long flight journey.
Has anyone went through similar phase? Please share your thoughts.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I think as long as you know that you have to remain in Canada while the sponsorship is ongoing, that sounds fine.

Reactions: dinodn

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If baby is born in Canada, it is already Canadian citizen. No need to sponsor him/her for PR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Me and wife, both PR since less than 2 years, having our first baby in couple of months.
Now our situation is, there is no one here in city to take care of her except few friends. With time goes, I am sure she need more attention which I may or may not be able to provide due to office hours. Hence we discussed of sending her back to our home country, have baby there where she will be with her parents and relatives all the time. My plan is to then apply PR for baby and bring them back. Bringing parents here is not possible due to their health issues and long flight journey.
Couples have baby’s all the time without parents help especially a first baby because you don’t need childcare when entering the hospital for other children. You are entitled to parental leave. Taking a week off maybe two if she has a c-section is pretty typical for Canadian fathers. Some fathers do take more parental leave. There isn’t a ton of attention your wife will need. You may need to help with some cooking or housework initially but women have given birth for centuries and often went back to working outdoors soon after. Given that the baby will need to be sponsored after that you could be separated from your child for 8 months. Has your wife been working? If she returns home will she meet the requirements for maternity leave payments? Babies don’t always come on their due date and some come early or women can end up on bed rest so waiting until late in yoyr pregnancy to relocate would not be ideal. If you are not familiar with the basics of caring for a newborn the nurses can teach you and your wife how to change a diaper, there are lactation consultants to help if she needs support to breastfed if that is what she wants to do, etc. You can take a class or ask a friend to practice on their child. For healthy babies it isn’t rocket science it is pretty intuitive.

kumar_ap

Feb 12, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
04-10-2018
AOR Received.
05-12-2018
File Transfer...
03-09-2019
Med's Request
07-01-2019
Med's Done....
23-01-2019
In my opinion, your wife should stay here and give birth to baby in Canada.
Positives-
Baby will be a Canadian citizen.
You can reimburse the medicals costs from OHIP/Insurance. Even vaccinations for newborn will be free.
No need to be separated from your wife/child till sponsorship application is done (which may take 1 year) in case you opt for birth outside Canada

At this critical time, your wife needs you first and looks for your support. Not parents/relatives. A nurse will guide your wife for things to take care of.
You just need to learn to change diapers and sleepless nights for the initial 3 months.

Opting parental leaves or even LWP are always open in any company. So you should not worry much about your office work. Give your family a priority over everything. I am sure you can manage the situation very well along with your friends and doctors here in Canada.

Best wishes.