Waived
Passport Req..
22-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2014
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
screech339 said:
When we had baby delivered in US, if we didn't have insurance, it would cost us 50 grand, by C-section. But because we had work insurance, we only had to pay about 2000. So it is not a good idea to have a baby in US unless you have insurance that will cover the cost in US.

So the question is, is it worth 50 grand to deliver the baby in US so the baby have US citizenship?

Screech339
The cost of a baby delivery in Canada especially if you're not insured can be very costly. That's why my wife and I decided to have the baby in the US since she has employment insurance and it would cost us $3000 max out of pocket for the delivery. There is also the option of medical assistance depending on the state you live in.

WAKHO

Apr 1, 2014
Try use open work permit to apply health card. coverage is upto 1 year start from the issue date of the work permit
If there is AIP

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
WAKHO said:
Try use open work permit to apply health card. coverage is upto 1 year start from the issue date of the work permit
If there is AIP
would she get owp if she is a potential PR as her spouse is PR

WAKHO

Apr 1, 2014
ramkris said:
would she get owp if she is a potential PR as her spouse is PR
the condition is that she needs to be in process of inland PR application. and at least the sponsor DM is received. then she would be eligible to apply OWP, which is available online. The processing time is about 6 weeks. usually it is 1 -2 years . For example OHIP would give 1 year regardless of the OWP is 1 or 2 yrs. Good part is OWP no need of proof of employment.

ramkris

Apr 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Aug-2013
File Transfer...
13-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
1-Aug-2013
Passport Req..
26-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2014
LANDED..........
soon
WAKHO said:
the condition is that she needs to be in process of inland PR application. and at least the sponsor DM is received. then she would be eligible to apply OWP, which is available online. The processing time is about 6 weeks. usually it is 1 -2 years . For example OHIP would give 1 year regardless of the OWP is 1 or 2 yrs. Good part is OWP no need of proof of employment.
this is again complicated as for inland application she has to be in TRP and as potential PR she wont be given TRP/TRV in most cases.if this condition works for outland that would be perfect

steerpike

Nov 1, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
LANDED..........
03-04-2014
Another option that one couple tried was to have the baby with a midwife in a hotel room across the street from the hosputal. Then in the event of anything going wrong they would be close to the hospital. But if everything went well then it would be cheap birth.

Here is a news story about it: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mom-without-medicare-gives-birth-in-hotel-1.1197532

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ramkris said:
this is again complicated as for inland application she has to be in TRP and as potential PR she wont be given TRP/TRV in most cases.if this condition works for outland that would be perfect
OP did not indicate any inland app was in process let alone having AIP/stage 1 approval, so I'm pretty sure OWP is out of the question. And there is no OWP associated with outland apps.

If OP lived in a province like Alberta, there is a chance the wife would qualify for health care even as a visitor, based on being spouse/dependent of a resident there.

steerpike said:
Another option that one couple tried was to have the baby with a midwife in a hotel room across the street from the hosputal. Then in the event of anything going wrong they would be close to the hospital. But if everything went well then it would be cheap birth.
Midwife is the best (almost free) option for any person giving birth with no health care, but as I stated above unless you attempt to get one the second you become pregnant, you may be out of luck as wait times for them are quite long.

Venitile

Mar 19, 2014
We were faced with the same dilemma. My common law partner is from Quebec. We moved in together in 2010. In order to apply for PR we had to be living together for one year before applying. Our inland application was received in Sept 2011. By which time I was already 6 months pregnant. No doctor was willing to take me on as a patient because I only had private insurance which does not cover pregnancy. No travel health insurance covers pregnancy. The hospital told us it would cost 10.000$ a day not including complications. You can only apply for Canadian health insurance once you receive the eligibility letter which we did not receive until January 2013. Having a home birth with a midwife was out of the question because I almost lost my own life giving birth to my oldest child in Germany in a hospital.
We took an immigration lawyer who put in a refugee claim which I was eligible for due to my initial reason for leaving Germany. With the refugee claim I received immediate coverage.
If you have a hard time finding a midwife and feel confident enough to try a home birth check for Doulas.
Good luck!
P.S. We are still waiting for our PR to come through almost 3 years later.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Regardless of what nationality the applicant is, American or otherwise, having a baby in US can also be a hassle. You would not be able to re-enter Canada with newborn until you at least get original US birth certificate. So you could end up waiting another 4-6 weeks before getting birth certificate even if it was sent to a Canadian address. The husband/partner would have to go retrieve it on the Canadian border (assuming the state allow you to mail the birth certificate to a foreign address) before coming back into US to come back with newborn into Canada.

Screech339