+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Having baby abroad after having landed in Canada - how to proceed?

michelle1977

Oct 30, 2010
My husband and I have applied for permanent residence in Canada. We now have received an email requesting our passports for visa issuance.

We plan to land in Canada in a few months, but will leave shortly after to return to our home country and will not be actually moving to Canada until 6 months later.

In the meantime I am pregnant and plan to have my baby outside of Canada.

What steps do we have to take to ensure our baby also gets permanent residence in Canada?

I have read the forums and there is quite a lot of conflicting information. So far, I have gathered that you can apply for a temporary residence and then start the actual application for a PR when in Canada. But looking at the CIC website it's not clear to me which process we should use, as it will be regarding a dependant child which is already in Canada. I've read that you need to apply on H&C grounds, but that seems so complicated. My questions as as follows:

- we are from the Netherlands and our baby will be born here. Do we still need a temporary visa for the baby when we enter Canada since the Netherlands are seen as a visa exempt country? Or can we just enter the baby as a visitor and do some border hopping after 6 months if the PR hasn't come through at that time?

- which application process should we use to apply for a PR for a baby born to Permanent Residents abroad? We will start the process once we are living in Canada and the baby will be with us. A link to the appropriate section on the CIC website would be appreciated.

- what are the costs invloved for the PR application for the baby? And is there any chance that it will be denied?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michelle

arron

Star Member
Oct 27, 2010
Why would you not just have the baby in Canada and save yourself the trouble altogether?? Anyone born in Canada has automatic citizenship and medical coverage, sure it may cost you some with no health insurance but might save you money and a lot of time and hassle in the long run.

michelle1977

Oct 30, 2010
Thanks for your reply. I went over all the options, but believe me, having the baby outside of Canada seems the slightly easier option.

So if anybody could advise me regarding the questions above, it would be much appreciated.

Michelle

arron

Star Member
Oct 27, 2010
OK, I think what you should do is apply for permanent residence for your baby as soon as he/she is born under the regular family class - dependant stream. An Outland application is probably your best bet, just follow the regular procedures and you should be OK. You can apply as soon as the child is born and you have the birth certificate.

The problem here is, when you move to canada with your baby, you will not have provincial health coverage for your baby.

Don't see why you would need to apply on H&C grounds, that is only really for someone who does not qualify under any other stream, in this case you would qualify under the family class stream.

I understand you wish to have your baby born in the netherlands, but the reason I am saying, deliver your baby in Canada, is you cannot guarantee anything with immigration, your application might get tied up, or denied on a technicality, you never know. Would you want to be in the situation where you and your husband have permanent residence status in Canada, but your child has not?

I don't know... I just don't see how anyone who has been through the hassle of a permanent residence application would want to do another one, if they didn't have to. :eek:

But good luck to you :)

michelle1977

Oct 30, 2010
Thanks for your advice arron, I'll take it into consideration. Maybe having the baby in Canada is easier after all.

Michelle

angiepeaches

Nov 1, 2010
my SON was born in Canad? my husband and I would like to living in canada

Can someone please let me know how my husband and i can apply to living in canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How old is your son? If he is 21 or over and meets LICO requirements (low income cut off) - then he can sponsor you. This process can take 5 or more years.

If your son is younger than 21, then you will have to qualify for immigration independently (e.g. by applying through the experience/skilled worker class).