+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Having a baby when sponsorship application in process

al_girl

Feb 19, 2010
Hi to everyone,
I would be extremely grateful if someone here could help me out.

I'm a Canadian citizen and I'm sponsoring my husband outside of Canada. While the sponsorship application is in process (outland), we had a baby last month. I called CIC to inform them, that our situation has changed and what documents do they need in order to update the case. I got two different opinions from two different officers and obviously I'm confused. I've been told that if I call them too many times they will put a note on my application to delay the case. In my country there's no Canadian Embassy it's only a consulate who does not deal with any immigration issue. The visa office does not answer on the phone (it's an automated answering service). I send them last month an e-mail and I did not get any answer from them.

Please has anyone was/is on the same situation and know excatly what we need to do? we would really really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

C

cowtown gal

Hi there,

I looked into this 'just in case' during our application. Are you a citizen by birth or naturalisation? If either of those, your child will be citizen by descent and you don't need to sponsor the baby, just get them a certificate of citizenship and canadian passport - I would think the consulate would be able to do that - services for Canadian citizens (but not 100% sure). Your husband still needs to notify your CIC office of the change of family structure but when they request his passport he should get form to update his family details - I think then the baby could be included on that (but your baby would not be included in the application for PR).

If you are a citizen by descent yourself, I don't think the baby is automatically a citizen, so it would then need to be added to the PR application and sponsored by you (but I'm pretty sure there is still no finanical requirement still). If you need this route, I don't know much about this, but hopefully someone will be along soon who can tell you more.

Congratuations on the new arrival by the way!!! :)

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Unbelievable that they would tell you that if you call too often they'll put a note on your file to delay your case. This is something you're required and instructed to report - how can someone say that to you? Did you get a name? Honestly, they never cease to amaze me with the incompetence!

As far as what cowtowngal says, I agree. You mentioned that you're a Canadian citizen, but you weren't clear about where you are now and where your child was born. If s/he was born in Canada, obviously s/he is a Canadian citizen. If s/he was born overseas, citizenship depends on whether you were born in Canada, etc.

There is no financial requirement for sponsoring a child - but if, for some reason, your child is not a Canadian citizen, s/he would HAVE to be added to your husband's PR application and sponsored along with him . . . not sponsored later on. That's why people who have applications in process are required to report any changes to family composition. Whoever you talked to should be reported for threatening you instead of giving you the potentially vital information you were entitled to. Contact your MP and make a formal complaint.

fruittropics

Feb 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14 October 2009
File Transfer...
27 October 2009
Passport Req..
16 March 2010
VISA ISSUED...
24 March 2010
LANDED..........
10 April 2010
Hi al_girl

I should warn you.
Someone on this forum also has a rather similiar case where his wife in canada is sponsoring him.
He goes by the name Zain and recently while the PR is being processed, his wife who is in canada, gave birth.
He wrote an email to update and inform Singapore CHC where his outland application is processed.
And in return he got a letter requesting for DNA testing.
Apparently this will happen because they need to be sure that it is not a marriage of convenience.
And because of this, his application is delayed and unknown when news will be heard.
He was almost approaching the standard minimum waiting time to be approved and now he has to get tested and wait even longer.

Here is his post:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/singapore-timeline-t28993.75.html

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
my case is different (like the person mentioned above, my son was born in canada, the day after i submitted my application (planned it like this so he wouldn't need to officially be listed on the application, although we did mention my pregnancy in many spots and put him as "baby boy, edd oct 1" on the application)

we were not asked for DNA, in fact almost the opposite... our case was approved in less than 5m, which is VERY quick for the processing office we are working from (where 30% of the cases are processed in 6m or less)... the only thing we were required to produce was our son's b/c (which we had by the time they asked, i didn't want to delay the application until we got it, that's why i shipped it off the day before).. might have delayed our application a little, but it was still processed quickly..

so having a child will not necessarily be detrimental to your case at all... in fact i would think it would be the opposite for most, especially if the pregnancy was mentioned in the application...

i think you've gotten good advice too.. (you will likely have to produce the bc or the like, as i did), and i think you were given incorrect informaiton about calling too often as well... probably didn't hear that from a CIC person?

al_girl

Feb 19, 2010
Thanks for your opinions,

I'm a naturalized Canadian Citizen and living outside of Canada for the moment. My baby was born outside of Canada and based on the new law he is a Canadian citizen too, but my concern is about the sponsorship application for my husband.
I'm not sponsoring my baby because he is a Canadian. Do I need to send the visa office any document? If I send the birth certificate of my son, will that be enough to update the case?

Thanks again to everyone for your opinions and thanks cowtown gal for your wishes.

fruittropics

Feb 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14 October 2009
File Transfer...
27 October 2009
Passport Req..
16 March 2010
VISA ISSUED...
24 March 2010
LANDED..........
10 April 2010
Hi al_girl

An email or letter with your husband's case number or full name plus your identity no. and your child's birth certificate will be sufficient.

If you wish to go the extra mile to avoid delays and just to be safe, maybe you'd want to include a dna test for your husband and baby.

All the best. And congrats on being a mom. :)