+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

# Have you previously been married?

jay31

Jun 27, 2020
Hello members! I have received an ITA 2 weeks ago, I am a CEC inland applicant and my CRS is 490. My question is regarding marriage.

I did court marriage in India in 2015 and due to some personal reasons, I cancelled (annulled) the marriage by visiting the same court and by cancelling the marriage certificate from the same jurisdiction. I did not live together as she flown to abroad after marriage and that's how our frictions occurred. However, she came back to the country after 5 months and we finally got it cancelled in the court. The court took the certificate and did not give anything in return, I do not have any detail about the certificate and her whereabouts (not my business). in 2017, I got married with all customs and traditions and I am living happily with my wife.

I landed in Canada on a visitor visa, My agent (who filed my visitor visa application)did not ask me this question and I did not bother to tell him about my previous marriage. We (me and my wife) got Work permits, in the same application I again did not mention about previous marriage (was totally not aware of it). Now, this question came up again. I am confused. Please help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello members! I have received an ITA 2 weeks ago, I am a CEC inland applicant and my CRS is 490. My question is regarding marriage.

I did court marriage in India in 2015 and due to some personal reasons, I cancelled (annulled) the marriage by visiting the same court and by cancelling the marriage certificate from the same jurisdiction. I did not live together as she flown to abroad after marriage and that's how our frictions occurred. However, she came back to the country after 5 months and we finally got it cancelled in the court. The court took the certificate and did not give anything in return, I do not have any detail about the certificate and her whereabouts (not my business). in 2017, I got married with all customs and traditions and I am living happily with my wife.

I landed in Canada on a visitor visa, My agent (who filed my visitor visa application)did not ask me this question and I did not bother to tell him about my previous marriage. We (me and my wife) got Work permits, in the same application I again did not mention about previous marriage (was totally not aware of it). Now, this question came up again. I am confused. Please help.
Yes you needed to give all the details and your records of your first marriage. Your agent is giving you bad advice. You should come clean and provide all the infirmation including marriage certificate and copy of annulment document. Would explain because the marriage was annulled you didn’t consider it a previous marriage. You now realize your error.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......

Firstly, getting married with customs and traditions, completely irrelevant.

I would say it depends. If your marriage was annulled then it didn't actually happen, that is why it is called an annulment. Technically.

I would suggest looking into IRCC's definitions and checking whether they'd consider annulled marriages as marriages (I would guess not)

Also, I think this will be completely irrelevant to your application. The fact that you had or not a previous marriage is really irrelevant.

Lastly, yes, you are responsible for your applications. If you hire an agent, I really don't get why people do that when doing it yourself is extremely easy, your application is your responsibility.

shannonxtreme

Aug 25, 2018
Markham, ON
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Markham
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-06-2019
AOR Received.
22-06-2019
Med's Done....
30-07-2019
Passport Req..
12-02-2020
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2020
LANDED..........
13-03-2020
Various guides on CIC's website (see links below) mention annulled marriage as a type of marriage separate to Single. While I don't see anything specific to CEC or Express Entry, it looks to me like they consider it a type of marital status. I would ask to be sure.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5772-application-sponsor-parents-grandparents.html#etat

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5746-applying-refugee-protection-within-canada.html#etat

Reactions: canuck78