+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?

Arinderrehal

Feb 14, 2019
Hi all, please help.

There's a section on IMM5257 asking:

2c) Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada?

For this section whether I should select "yes" or "No"

I am on study permit and applying for post graduation work permit for the first time from within Canada.

I never applied for extension of study permit and enter Canada originally and only one time on study visa Only

Omerbabiker6

Star Member
Apr 9, 2021
United Arab Emirates
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
03-03-2021
Med's Request
03-05-2020
Med's Done....
03-05-2020
SO YOU HAVE APPLIED TO ENTER CANADA THE FIRST TIME YOU GOT THE STUDY PERMIT/VISA.

IF YES THEN YOUR ANSWER SHOULD BE YES.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buletruck

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi all, please help.

I am on study permit and applying for post graduation work permit for the first time from within Canada.

I never applied for extension of study permit and enter Canada originally and only one time on study visa Only
It should be YES, YES

Kazmanowk

Star Member
Apr 6, 2020
Hi all, please help.

Is it compulsory to fill the imm5257 file when applying for pgwp?

aquarius1

Jan 20, 2014
Hello everyone,
I have same problem but I already submitted my application 2 days ago.
Q. Have you previously applied to enter / remain in Canada? Yes/No.
My answer is yes obviously but I am still confused for my explanation which I had to write in explaination.

I understood the question they are asking about which one was my previous application either enter or remain in Canada.
I did not write about my “enter to Canada “ application because I understood they were asking about latest previous application.

So, I written about “remain in Canada”i.e my answer was:
Yes, I applied for Post graduate work permit in Canada in 2017.

What can I do now??

It will be Ok or it is consider misrepresentation???
Because I was misunderstood the question.

For your information I applied first work permit / visa application together in 2012 and after then study permit and it’s visa separately in 2013 and its renewals in 2016 respectively after then PG work permit and work visa in 2017 so total my 7 application in the past.

However, I have attached passport document in which my all visa stamps there as we know that all visa comes after permit.

Please kindly help me . I am really worried about it . I canceled my biometrics appointment just because of this confusion.

I am waiting for your early response.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

ABMM

Star Member
May 6, 2021
Hello everyone,
My answer is yes obviously but I am still confused for my explanation which I had to write in explaination.

I understood the question which one was my previous application enter or remain in Canada.
I did not write about my “enter to Canada “ application because I understood they were asking about latest previous application.

So, I written about “remain in Canada “that is I applied for Post graduate work permit in Canada in 2017.

What can I do ??

However, I have attached passport document in which my all visa stamps there as we know that all visa comes after permit.

Please kindly help me . I am really worried about it . I canceled my biometrics appointment just because of this confusion.

Thanks everyone.
Oh, I'm sorry I'm not sure because I never about a case like yours, however I'm sure someone from this forum will reply and give you a clear answer.
However, if you said you applied for a PGWP, that implies that you already studied here because you can't get a PGWP without graduating from a DLI in canada, so I think you're okay.
You should still ask for a second opinion though.

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Hello everyone,

I understood the question they are asking about which one was my previous application either enter or remain in Canada.

So, I written about “remain in Canada”i.e my answer was:
Yes, I applied for Post graduate work permit in Canada in 2017.

What can I do now??

For your information I applied first work permit / visa application together in 2012 and after then study permit and it’s visa separately in 2013 and its renewals in 2016 respectively after then PG work permit and work visa in 2017 so total my 7 application in the past.

Thanks everyone.
What type of application are you filing?

I recently applied for PGWP extension (because of passport expiry and renewal). In the explanation box, I only provided my latest status document: document type, document number and effectivity. For some reason, I am limited to a certain number of character length. I also attached my visa counterfoil in my old passport. I got my extension approved.

Not sure about your case, though. But I think if you want to play it safe, attached a page detailing all your past applications and include it in your “additional client information”. (tip: when you are including multiple information in the client information, attach a simple table of contents. This whould give the VO a general idea on the contents and could lessen confusion)

aquarius1

Jan 20, 2014
What type of application are you filing?

I recently applied for PGWP extension (because of passport expiry and renewal). In the explanation box, I only provided my latest status document: document type, document number and effectivity. For some reason, I am limited to a certain number of character length. I also attached my visa counterfoil in my old passport. I got my extension approved.

Not sure about your case, though. But I think if you want to play it safe, attached a page detailing all your past applications and include it in your “additional client information”. (tip: when you are including multiple information in the client information, attach a simple table of contents. This whould give the VO a general idea on the contents and could lessen confusion)

I applied for study permit application 3 days ago from home country.

What can I do now after submitted application already?

I am again explaining in another time .

Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada ? Yes / No
I answered the question yes and written in the explanation
Yes, I applied for post graduate work permit in Canada in 2017 .

Detailed about My all application which I applied in the past from starting to end.

First I applied for work permit with visa to enter Canada in 2012 after then I applied study permit in 2013 August and visa in 2013 September after then I renew my study permit in 2016 July and renew my visa in 2016 September after then I applied for post graduate work permit in 2017 March and applied for work visa in 2017 May.

My question is what I supposed to write in the explanation?

Either about application for enter to Canada ?
Or About application for remain in Canada ?
Or my last application ?
Or my all previous application.

Thanks

Ridwan01@03

Jul 16, 2021
Hi Everyone, I'm new on this platform, I'm posting from Nigeria.

Please what is the implication of status changing from SUBMITTED to PROFILE UPDATED?, I applied on April 26th, biometrics on April 29th, they required me to upload IELTS and MyBankStatement on May 6th which I uploaded on June 3rd cuz I have to prepare for the IELTS exam which I fortunately passed.

Since then no response but all I noticed yesterday was status changing from submitted to profile updated.

Thanks. Anyone with similar case or anyone with such experience?

Ridwan01@03

Jul 16, 2021
Hi Everyone, I'm new on this platform, I'm posting from Nigeria.

Please what is the implication of status changing from SUBMITTED to PROFILE UPDATED?, I applied on April 26th, biometrics on April 29th, they required me to upload IELTS and MyBankStatement on May 6th which I uploaded on June 3rd cuz I have to prepare for the IELTS exam which I fortunately passed.

Since then no response but all I noticed yesterday was status changing from submitted to profile updated.

Thanks. Anyone with similar case or anyone with such experience?
Less I forget, Eligibility Review on the two June.
documents uploaded started on the 9th of june.

aquarius1

Jan 20, 2014
Oh, I'm sorry I'm not sure because I never about a case like yours, however I'm sure someone from this forum will reply and give you a clear answer.
However, if you said you applied for a PGWP, that implies that you already studied here because you can't get a PGWP without graduating from a DLI in canada, so I think you're okay.
You should still ask for a second opinion though.
Yes, I applied pgwp and approved after getting study permit and study visa offcourse but I got study permit and study visa in Canada because I came Canada on work permit with work visa which I applied from home country.

Total I applied 7 applications all of them got approved.
My last application was work visa in May 2017 which I applied from Canada.

I just could not understand the question what should I need to write about which application in the explanation???

Thanks

Last edited:

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Yes, I applied pgwp and approved after getting study permit and study visa offcourse but I got study permit and study visa in Canada because I came Canada on work permit with work visa which I applied from home country.

Total I applied 7 applications all of them got approved.
My last application was work visa in May 2017 which I applied from Canada.

I just could not understand the question what should I need to write about which application in the explanation???

Thanks
You said you already have 7 previous applications which were all approved. So, what did you write in your previous forms?

aquarius1

Jan 20, 2014
You said you already have 7 previous applications which were all approved. So, what did you write in your previous forms?
I don’t remember but I am 100 percent sure I did not write about all of them. I just written about one application don’t remember last one or first one