+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have you experienced immigrant regret?

annievets

May 6, 2018
I'm a journalist working on a feature story for the Globe and Mail about the regrets of immigrants in Canada, particularly those who've chosen to move back to their home countries after a certain point (or who have seriously considered it). Specifically, I'm hoping to interview people who entered Canada as skilled workers.

If this sounds like you or someone you know, I'd appreciate it very much if you would either write a short post here or send me a private message.

Many thanks in advance,

Anne-Marie Vettorel

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I am always curious what is the motivation behind projecting such stories. Is it to expose realities or some special interests want this to be published? I came across one article where people who where educated/experienced in sociology, teaching, civil engineering were picked and projected that immigrants don't get jobs in Canada. People who belong to regulated professions like teaching, engineering know beforehand that they need to clear exams to be able to work, and when they are not able to clear it, they start blaming the immigration system and Canadian government. And in professions like sociology, even natives have a tough time getting job, and it is more or less the case for non STEM fields in any country including US. Why would someone cherry pick such cases and project things in negative light?

annievets

May 6, 2018
I am always curious what is the motivation behind projecting such stories. Is it to expose realities or some special interests want this to be published? I came across one article where people who where educated/experienced in sociology, teaching, civil engineering were picked and projected that immigrants don't get jobs in Canada. People who belong to regulated professions like teaching, engineering know beforehand that they need to clear exams to be able to work, and when they are not able to clear it, they start blaming the immigration system and Canadian government. And in professions like sociology, even natives have a tough time getting job, and it is more or less the case for non STEM fields in any country including US. Why would someone cherry pick such cases and project things in negative light?
Hi DEEPCUR,

Thanks for your comment. I'm personally interested in this story because it's my mother's story (she lived 30 years in Canada before moving back to Latin America), and over the years I've heard other stories like hers. While it might not be what everyone experiences after moving to Canada (or not even the majority of people), it's still a valid perspective, and something I want to honour and explore. Professional regrets like the ones you mention are certainly part of the story, but even if someone does find work, they can struggle with culture, language, weather and community to the extent that they feel the choice to immigrate wasn't worth it. It's not always the case — immigration stories are often incredible success stories. But I'm curious about the other side, and I have the sense that my mother isn't alone in her feeling that moving to Canada wasn't necessarily something she'd do again.

Anne-Marie

Last edited:

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hi DEEPCUR,

Thanks for your comment. I'm personally interested in this story because it's my mother's story (she lived 30 years in Canada before moving back to Latin America), and over the years I've heard other stories like hers. While it might not be what everyone experiences after moving to Canada (or not even the majority of people), it's still a valid perspective, and something I want to honour and explore. Professional regrets like the ones you mention are certainly part of the story, but even if someone does find work, they can struggle with culture, language, weather and community to the extent that they feel the choice to immigrate wasn't worth it. It's not always the case — immigration stories are often incredible success stories. But I'm curious about the other side, and I have the sense that my mother isn't alone in her feeling that moving to Canada wasn't necessarily something she'd do again.

Anne-Marie
Got it.. But moving back after 30 years doesn't sound like an immigrant regret. It's basically wanting to spend retirement at home which is a common thing among many first generation immigrants to western countries.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Reactions: qureishi

Arkom

May 15, 2019
I'm a journalist working on a feature story for the Globe and Mail about the regrets of immigrants in Canada, particularly those who've chosen to move back to their home countries after a certain point (or who have seriously considered it). Specifically, I'm hoping to interview people who entered Canada as skilled workers.

If this sounds like you or someone you know, I'd appreciate it very much if you would either write a short post here or send me a private message.

Many thanks in advance,

Anne-Marie Vettorel

Hi Anne,
I came across this post while doing some research and Wondering if you were able to complete your research and write something about it?
I just recently landed in Canada and I sense a lot of issues associated with this place that nobody really talks about. One has to do a lot of negative keyword search to look for those experiences and regrets. It would be great to learn from, if you came across anything during your research.
Thanks!