VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-04-17
jojee2k6 said:
Seems I am not only the victim, that's what recently WES did in ECA for me and my wife. Applied in Sept-2016, received ECA in March, 2017 with discrepancy in results.

WIFE's ECA:
--------------
1. BS(IT) 4 Yrs = 3 years Bachelors
2. MBA (Banking) 2 Yrs = 4 Years Bachelors (how come MBA=4 Yrs Bachelors after 4 yrs BS(IT)??)
Summary: Bachelors (3 years and Bachelors 4 Years)
My ECA:
---------
1. BS(IT) 4 Yrs = 3 years Bachelors
2. MS (IT) 2 Yrs (with Research Thesis & Publications) = 4 Years Bachelors (how come MS(IT)=4 Yrs Bachelors after 4 yrs BS(IT)??)
3. PhD(IT) 3 Yrs = Earned Doctorate
Summary: Earned Doctorate (so as per WES, it seems I have finished my PhD without MS/Masters/Postgraduate degree, directly after 4 yrs canadian bachelors) :D :D :D
---------
Have emailed them, since 10 days ago, No response yet! Fingers crossed! :(
What makes you think this is a mistake? They seem to be consistent in how they have assessed both you and your wife's credentials. One does not necessarily need an MS/Masters/Postgraduate degree to get a PhD.

I know it is a bit difficult to accept but WES simply assess how your credentials match up to Canadian credentials. So although you may have been awarded a Masters degree, it may not match up to Canadian standards.

I have not heard of any WES assessment being changed, but it would be interesting to see how they respond to you.

Please share once they reply.

All the best

TanakaM

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-04-17
Maverick28 said:
There is a difference between a Masters Degree, Post Graduate Diploma and Post Graduate Certificate in UK.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/postgraduate-study/postgraduate-diplomas-and-certificates

Masters degree has more credits (180 credits according to above website) and is a one year course.
PGD has 120 credits and is for two terms.
PGC has 90 credits and is for 1 term.

If you go with the number of credits required to complete a course, then the above ECA report makes sense.
Totally agree. It is indeed all about the credits with UK credentials. I completed a UK Undergraduate degree in 2 and a half years, but based on the credits I received it was given Canadian equivalency - Bachelor's degree (four years).

@ParulB - How many credits did the University give you?

ParulB

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
App. Filed.......
08-06-2017
AOR Received.
08-06-2017
TanakaM said:
Totally agree. It is indeed all about the credits with UK credentials. I completed a UK Undergraduate degree in 2 and a half years, but based on the credits I received it was given Canadian equivalency - Bachelor's degree (four years).

@ParulB - How many credits did the University give you?
Mine were 60 (20 per major), how many were yours in 2.5 years that got you 4yrs equivalency?

TanakaM

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-04-17
ParulB said:
Mine were 60 (20 per major), how many were yours in 2.5 years that got you 4yrs equivalency?
60 Credits is correct for a PG Certificate, so if WES has given you a PG Diploma it means a UK Certificate equates to a Canadian Diploma. This is actually good for you as it is a higher qualification.

Secondly, how does this affect you CRS points seeing as you still fall under the category of "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees."?
Therefore, whether WES call it a certificate or a diploma makes no difference. You should have the same number of CRS points.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

I got 360 credits for my undergrad degree and 180 for my masters degree.

ParulB

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
App. Filed.......
08-06-2017
AOR Received.
08-06-2017
TanakaM said:
60 Credits is correct for a PG Certificate, so if WES has given you a PG Diploma it means a UK Certificate equates to a Canadian Diploma. This is actually good for you as it is a higher qualification.

Secondly, how does this affect you CRS points seeing as you still fall under the category of "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees."?
Therefore, whether WES call it a certificate or a diploma makes no difference. You should have the same number of CRS points.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

I got 360 credits for my undergrad degree and 180 for my masters degree.
The problem is they gave it equivalency of one semester(half year), even though on my transcript clearly says 1 year course. Does 60 credits in UK equate to only only one semester (half year) in Canada? I don't believe I can claim "two or more degrees" based on my PGC marked by ECA as "PG Diploma (one semester)" or does duration of ECA not matter, and actual duration does? I did ask WES about it but they have not responded since 27th March.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
ParulB said:
The problem is they gave it equivalency of one semester(half year), even though on my transcript clearly says 1 year course. Does 60 credits in UK equate to only only one semester (half year) in Canada? I don't believe I can claim "two or more degrees" based on my PGC marked by ECA as "PG Diploma (one semester)" or does duration of ECA not matter, and actual duration does? I did ask WES about it but they have not responded since 27th March.
Add all your education that has ECA and the system will calculate automatically.

ParulB

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
App. Filed.......
08-06-2017
AOR Received.
08-06-2017
xpressentry said:
Add all your education that has ECA and the system will calculate automatically.
I did add the course and selected ECA done as Yes, there is one option that asks you how much ECA evaluated the education and there is no option lower than PG Diploma 1 year, so I selected "no marks or lower than secondary". I am assuming PG diploma 1 semester = no marks.

hamiltondreamer

Star Member
Mar 30, 2017
Nigeria
Category........
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-04-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
I really know about your degree and it's credits but I know that WES has an evaluation problem when it come to law degree. The CIC website clearly states that professional degrees. Such as Law should be same points as a master degree. However all the people whom I know who had their law degrees accessed by WES was assessed as a 4year degree course. Whereas IQAS gives it its full qualifications. Just my one cent , perhaps you can have another evaluation with IQAS they have a better return period 15 working days after receipt of documents

TanakaM

VIP Member
Dec 29, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-04-17
ParulB said:
I did add the course and selected ECA done as Yes, there is one option that asks you how much ECA evaluated the education and there is no option lower than PG Diploma 1 year, so I selected "no marks or lower than secondary". I am assuming PG diploma 1 semester = no marks.
Right, I see where your problem is. This is a tough 1.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
ParulB said:
I think if the course is less than a year, there are no points awarded because when you enter your education, you have a drop down list to select the number of years. It's a tough call. Sorry can't suggest anything better.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
hamiltondreamer said:
I really know about your degree and it's credits but I know that WES has an evaluation problem when it come to law degree. The CIC website clearly states that professional degrees. Such as Law should be same points as a master degree. However all the people whom I know who had their law degrees accessed by WES was assessed as a 4year degree course. Whereas IQAS gives it its full qualifications. Just my one cent , perhaps you can have another evaluation with IQAS they have a better return period 15 working days after receipt of documents
My wife's LLB degree was assessed by WES as Juris Doctor equivalent to 4 years. My wife selected masters or professional degree for that as it is a professional degree. My wife also has a masters degree. So in case, there is an issue with the LLB as supposed to be considered as a bachelors degree, she would have a masters anyway.

rahimpal

Star Member
Oct 21, 2013
China
NOC Code......
1. Credential

Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)

2. Credential

Canadian Equivalency: Postgraduate certificate (one semester)

can i claim two or more degrees or is it only one degree?

rahimpal

Star Member
Oct 21, 2013
China
NOC Code......
Any idea ?

can i select Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees.

my ECA report says this

Canadian Equivalency: *Bachelor's degree (four years )* + *Canadian Equivalency:*

*Postgraduate certificate (one semester).*