Have WES results ever been inaccurate?

ParulB

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
App. Filed.......
08-06-2017
AOR Received.
08-06-2017
I have two educational qualifications; a bachelor degree from India and a full year Post Graduate Certificate from St. Mary University London. It is a recognized university and all. I didn't miss any major number of classes or have any other bad record. In fact I passed with distinction. I went to UK specially for this program so even my Visa is proof of the duration which was only approved from day of program start to end.

The trouble is WES has accepted my bachelor as bachelor - 3 year equivalent but for some reason they have accepted my PGC (which is of minimum duration 1 year, no less) as "half year" course and given it equivalency of "PG Diploma - one semester". My IELTS score is high so I'm getting maximum points for all categories in language - English. If I had received full equivalency for my education, my score was coming to 470+, but now it coming to 441 which is extremely big difference as far as pool ranking goes. I do not understand why this was the case, I am also trying to understand from WES if they by chance got wrong dates from university about the course. But they seem completely unresponsive. Throughout my evaluation process, they didn't respond to any of my tickets (I raised 7-8 in total) and now I raised query for the results, again no response.

I am seeing some of my friends from India are getting full equivalency for diplomas or courses done in India even in distance learning, I find it hard to believe that UK and Canada education system are so different that a year of study in UK only equals half a year in Canada. It's no unknown university either!

So my question is - does anyone here in forum remember any case where WES evaluation was wrong? I am considering to get my PGC evaluated from a different source, but if they do the evaluation exactly the same way as WES then there will be no point. Is this a lost cause? :( I cannot believe scoring high is IELTS has not amounted to much thanks to last moment issue with WES report. At the very least they could respond and clarify considering how much they charge for the evaluation. Feeling very let down by the service.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Bachelors degree in India = 3 years
Bachelors degree in Canada = 4 years

You are missing 1 year. Therefore, you are facing this issue.

People who have done masters degrees in India, do not get assessed as a masters degree.
Masters degree in India = 2 years
Masters degree in Canada = 2 years.

Indian masters person has 5 years after 12
Canadian masters person has 6 years after 12

ParulB

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
App. Filed.......
08-06-2017
AOR Received.
08-06-2017
I do not understand, what has my bachelor got to do with my PGC evaluation? My Bachelor already received full weightage. I wasn't aiming for masters, I was aiming for "one year certificate course in a university" over and above bachelor.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Your 1 year PG certificate has been consolidated along with your Bachelors since you are missing one year in your bachelors degree.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
wannabecanuck89 said:
I have a 3 year Bachelor's degree from India and a 1 year Master's degree from Australia and I got an equivalency of a Master's degree.
That's because your masters degree was from Australia. If that same degree was from India, it would have not been considered as a masters degree. WES tends to discriminate when it comes to Asian degrees. If the OP had a masters, the Indian bachelor's degree of 3 years would have been disregarded.

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
There is a difference between a Masters Degree, Post Graduate Diploma and Post Graduate Certificate in UK.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/postgraduate-study/postgraduate-diplomas-and-certificates

Masters degree has more credits (180 credits according to above website) and is a one year course.
PGD has 120 credits and is for two terms.
PGC has 90 credits and is for 1 term.

If you go with the number of credits required to complete a course, then the above ECA report makes sense.

ParulB

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
App. Filed.......
08-06-2017
AOR Received.
08-06-2017
Maverick28 said:
There is a difference between a Masters Degree, Post Graduate Diploma and Post Graduate Certificate in UK.

Masters degree has more credits (180 credits according to above website) and is a one year course.
PGD has 120 credits and is for two terms.
PGC has 90 credits and is for 1 term.

If you go with the number of credits required to complete a course, then the above ECA report makes sense.
So it is not the actual duration but credit that makes sense? I still don't think they consolidated my report because they gave me two individual reports, one for each course. But the credits thing makes sense, because my credits are indeed 60 even though the official duration is mentioned as one year and FHEQ Level as 7. This is the only plausible explanation in that case and re-evaluation will not help. Oh well.

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
ParulB said:
So it is not the actual duration but credit that makes sense? I still don't think they consolidated my report because they gave me two individual reports, one for each course. But the credits thing makes sense, because my credits are indeed 60 even though the official duration is mentioned as one year and FHEQ Level as 7. This is the only plausible explanation in that case and re-evaluation will not help. Oh well.
You have a CRS of 441 so you can expect an ITA soon. You don't need to worry much.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
xpressentry said:

You are missing 1 year. Therefore, you are facing this issue.

People who have done masters degrees in India, do not get assessed as a masters degree.
Masters degree in India = 2 years
Masters degree in Canada = 2 years.

Indian masters person has 5 years after 12
Canadian masters person has 6 years after 12
This is not true. I have 5 years after 12 from India and I got Master's evaluation. I know plenty of them who got that too. Unless it is not a correspondence degree or open university degree or from a unheard university, they do evaluate 5 years education from India as Masters.

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Seems I am not only the victim, that's what recently WES did in ECA for me and my wife. Applied in Sept-2016, received ECA in March, 2017 with discrepancy in results.

WIFE's ECA:
--------------
1. BS(IT) 4 Yrs = 3 years Bachelors
2. MBA (Banking) 2 Yrs = 4 Years Bachelors (how come MBA=4 Yrs Bachelors after 4 yrs BS(IT)??)
Summary: Bachelors (3 years and Bachelors 4 Years)
My ECA:
---------
1. BS(IT) 4 Yrs = 3 years Bachelors
2. MS (IT) 2 Yrs (with Research Thesis & Publications) = 4 Years Bachelors (how come MS(IT)=4 Yrs Bachelors after 4 yrs BS(IT)??)
3. PhD(IT) 3 Yrs = Earned Doctorate
Summary: Earned Doctorate (so as per WES, it seems I have finished my PhD without MS/Masters/Postgraduate degree, directly after 4 yrs canadian bachelors) :D :D :D
---------
Have emailed them, since 10 days ago, No response yet! Fingers crossed! :(

ParulB

Star Member
Mar 27, 2017
App. Filed.......
08-06-2017
AOR Received.
08-06-2017
To be honest, I am not entirely sure if I got the one term evaluation simply because the credit information was available. My Bachelor's university provides NO information on number of hours studied, credits etc and still got full weightage. Then again, it seems a lot of people from my Uni apply to WES so they have pretty standardized approach for it. I even got my evaluation done in a one week straight after documents delivery.

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
If your uni is listed in WES authorized institutions, then they have detailed info. about credit hours and standard parameters for equivalence, yet they make such stupid mistakes, like they did in mine and my wife's ECA.
I don't know when they will respond and resolve this discrepancy, check equivalence tool of WES and IQAS website (as they have also provided glossary for each degree).
My biggest mistake was to choose WES over IQAS, and now suffering!

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Indian universities do not have "credits"

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
xpressentry said:
Indian universities do not have "credits"
Not entirely true. Some of them do have it. Its just we do not notice it because the syllabus is already prescribed to us and we are not allowed to choose our subjects during a course. So the credit requirement is already fulfilled by the students.