+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have wage incomes in US and Canada, how to file tax?

J1visa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2009
Dear all,

I am a dual PR of the US and Canada. I have income in Canada (T4) and income in the US (W2). I stay entire year in the US (without any day in Canada). I also pre-pay taxes in the US and Canada. Do you know how could I file tax returns? Can I file tax return in Canada first as a Canadian resident and do not let Canada know my income in the US, and then file tax return in the US ( I have to let the US know my income in Canada, that is law)? I try to do that way but now I have to pay tax for my income in both Canada and the US. Do you guy know something about tax treaty?

It is really complicated. Thanks for your help.

tahsinmohammad

Sep 1, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Citizenship
J1visa said:
Dear all,

I am a dual PR of the US and Canada. I have income in Canada (T4) and income in the US (W2). I stay entire year in the US (without any day in Canada). I also pre-pay taxes in the US and Canada. Do you know how could I file tax returns? Can I file tax return in Canada first as a Canadian resident and do not let Canada know my income in the US, and then file tax return in the US ( I have to let the US know my income in Canada, that is law)? I try to do that way but now I have to pay tax for my income in both Canada and the US. Do you guy know something about tax treaty?

Hope this 2 links helps you...

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/International-Businesses/Canada---Tax-Treaty-Documents

http://www.fin.gc.ca/treaties-conventions/usa_-eng.asp

J1visa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2009
Thank you very much. I have read these link but still do not understand how to do with my case. It seems that I have to pay double tax in both country.

ronaldoyaronaldo

Aug 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow!

You asked the question 2 years in a row with no answer!

Come on people, help the gentleman!

seton

Jun 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
Med's Request
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
J1visa said:
Dear all,

Not enough information on your Canadian T4 income to answer of residency status (i.e. what type of employment to generate a T4 and nature of ties). At the least, on the US side, you can get foreign tax credits for any withholding taxes on your Canadian income. This will make your marginal tax rate on all income equal to the higher between the two, removing the double taxation effect.