+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have received a letter of authorization, but it expires before we are able to travel - is it wise to ask for another extension now or later or at all?

MrSnoobs

Aug 5, 2019
Due to employment and residence related contractual obligations, we are unable to travel to Canada before the letter of authorisation expires (mid-April). The letter states "If you are unable to travel before the expiration date of this letter on 2021/04/19, IRCC will leave your PR application open and you will have to go through this CoPR and PRV re-issuance process again when you are able to travel to Canada."

This, I assume, is just the same as replying to the first message we recieved to confirm that the COPR was extended to October, and if we could travel to Canada "soon", and to respond in ten days. That was vague enough that we responded to say that we could travel soon (and gave our dates in the message), but our letter of authorisation expires over a month before we can realistically travel. I guess I am asking what people recommend our next steps should be assuming we can only travel in mid to late May. I don't know how much automation is in the responses from CIC, and don't want to get another letter of authorisation that also expires too early for us.

Thanks in advance.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Due to employment and residence related contractual obligations, we are unable to travel to Canada before the letter of authorisation expires (mid-April). The letter states "If you are unable to travel before the expiration date of this letter on 2021/04/19, IRCC will leave your PR application open and you will have to go through this CoPR and PRV re-issuance process again when you are able to travel to Canada."

This, I assume, is just the same as replying to the first message we recieved to confirm that the COPR was extended to October, and if we could travel to Canada "soon", and to respond in ten days. That was vague enough that we responded to say that we could travel soon (and gave our dates in the message), but our letter of authorisation expires over a month before we can realistically travel. I guess I am asking what people recommend our next steps should be assuming we can only travel in mid to late May. I don't know how much automation is in the responses from CIC, and don't want to get another letter of authorisation that also expires too early for us.

Thanks in advance.
I think it is pretty self explanatory, reply explaining that you can't meet that time line and give them the specific first date that you are able to travel. Hopefully they will give you a window after that time.

dw33

Champion Member
Dec 28, 2020
Reasons like this is exactly why they ask for PROOF OF INTENT TO IMMIGRATE. They better not pull that card on me. Unreal.

Lift48

Oct 14, 2017
Category........
NOC Code......
8232 / 2145
Pre-Assessed..
Yes

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

I’m in same situation. My family’s CoPRs and visas were expired in Oct 2020, and then, in Feb 2021, they received authorization letters to travel before April 4th 2021. But there are still no flights from/to our country, so my family won’t be able to make it on time.

What were your next steps? Did you request another authorization letter?

Thanks.

MrSnoobs

Aug 5, 2019
I did request one, but they responded that since these can only be issued sixty days in advance at the most, they told me I should either get a new medical before sending my passport to get a full reissued visa valid another year, or send the passport now and get a reissued document valid until the extension date, which for me is October. We chose the second option, but we're waiting to hear back with instructions now.

Lift48

Oct 14, 2017
Category........
NOC Code......
8232 / 2145
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
I did request one, but they responded that since these can only be issued sixty days in advance at the most, they told me I should either get a new medical before sending my passport to get a full reissued visa valid another year, or send the passport now and get a reissued document valid until the extension date, which for me is October. We chose the second option, but we're waiting to hear back with instructions now.
Thanks for the soonest answer. Appreciate that.

1. How did you request another letter? Through webform or email? Could you please share the details of that process?

2. How your extension date is October 2021? Were your medicals done in April 2020?

3. For the first option, only re-medical is required and nothing else? No need for new police certs?

Thank you!

MrSnoobs

Aug 5, 2019
Thanks for the soonest answer. Appreciate that.

1. How did you request another letter? Through webform or email? Could you please share the details of that process?

2. How your extension date is October 2021? Were your medicals done in April 2020?

3. For the first option, only re-medical is required and nothing else? No need for new police certs?

Thank you!
Bit late for this, sorry. I requested another letter through the email chain but it wasn't possible since they would only be valid 60 days.

My medicals expired December 2020 but I understand that has been waived in favor of the general extension of validity. To that end, instead of a letter of authorization, we are applying for the copr to be reissued with the validity of the extension, ie October. That said, we're still waiting for them to confirm this and tell us our next steps, which has been well over two weeks now.

rodrigo.1985

May 12, 2021
I am so glad I found this forum. I am struggling with the same situation.

What did they tell you in the end?

I have the same situation. I got my CoPR and PR Visa approved before March 2020, but due to covid I could not travel to Canada and my documents expired in September 2020.
In early February this year I received an email with the subject 'Action required – Are you able to travel to Canada soon?' I replied to that e-mail confirming I could travel by June 2021.
In late February I received a Letter of Authorization stating IRCC extended the validity of my CoPR and PR visa until July 30th, BUT that I should use that letter of Authorization BEFORE April 27th, otherwise 'IRCC will leave your PR application open and you will have to go through this CoPR and PRV re-issuance process again when you are able to travel to Canada.'
Unfortunately, due to work commitments and Covid travel restrictions in my country I could not travel to Canada in April, but I will be able to travel in June, a month prior to the new expiry date of my extended CoPR and PR Visa.

I already sent two inquiries through the web form in March and April, asking IRCC to re-issue the Authorization Letter, but have not received any response from them, and I really don't know what to do.

Bit late for this, sorry. I requested another letter through the email chain but it wasn't possible since they would only be valid 60 days.

My medicals expired December 2020 but I understand that has been waived in favor of the general extension of validity. To that end, instead of a letter of authorization, we are applying for the copr to be reissued with the validity of the extension, ie October. That said, we're still waiting for them to confirm this and tell us our next steps, which has been well over two weeks now.

MrSnoobs

Aug 5, 2019
So, we ended up going for the re-issuing route, so I replied to their email about our intent to request the re-issue. That took about three weeks for them to get back to us, but they did get back to us eventually by virtue of our CIC account being re-activated, and them asking for documents, namely a copy of my Passport (as previously supplied...) and two passport photos as previously supplied. It was basically the same as the initial letter you receive that asks for these items.

So, I went back to the photography studio (again) and got my professionally taken and stamped photos done. I printed out the whole letter plus the appendix that asks for any changes to eye colours/height etc and checked if any documents were pending to be sent on the portal document upload section (there was one request for us). These I then couriered to the VFS Global site in London (your destination will be domestic most likely) and paid for a return courier to return the completed documents to me (cost approximately £20 in total if I remember correctly). Of course, if you are not from a visa exempt country, you will need to send your passport in for a valid counterfoil; this was not required for me.

A few weeks later, the documents were reissued and now we are good to go once more, with documents that don't expire until October! Do note that this extension would be the very last - if you let them lapse again, you are back to square one. In truth, the whole process took about a month - though it felt longer!

Reactions: armoured

Jairo

Jul 23, 2019
So, we ended up going for the re-issuing route, so I replied to their email about our intent to request the re-issue. That took about three weeks for them to get back to us, but they did get back to us eventually by virtue of our CIC account being re-activated, and them asking for documents, namely a copy of my Passport (as previously supplied...) and two passport photos as previously supplied. It was basically the same as the initial letter you receive that asks for these items.

So, I went back to the photography studio (again) and got my professionally taken and stamped photos done. I printed out the whole letter plus the appendix that asks for any changes to eye colours/height etc and checked if any documents were pending to be sent on the portal document upload section (there was one request for us). These I then couriered to the VFS Global site in London (your destination will be domestic most likely) and paid for a return courier to return the completed documents to me (cost approximately £20 in total if I remember correctly). Of course, if you are not from a visa exempt country, you will need to send your passport in for a valid counterfoil; this was not required for me.

A few weeks later, the documents were reissued and now we are good to go once more, with documents that don't expire until October! Do note that this extension would be the very last - if you let them lapse again, you are back to square one. In truth, the whole process took about a month - though it felt longer!
Did you reply to the original email asking if you are now ready to travel or did you respond to the email with the Letter of Authorization?

My Letter also expired and I am trying to determine nexts steps to travel.

rodrigo.1985

May 12, 2021
Did you reply to the original email asking if you are now ready to travel or did you respond to the email with the Letter of Authorization?

My Letter also expired and I am trying to determine nexts steps to travel.
In the end I replied to the same e-mail containing the letter of Authorization and after 2 weeks I received an email giving 2 options: 1. Retake the medical check up, or 2. Confirm I can travel before the expiring date of my extended CoPR. I chose option 2 and within a week I received a new Authorization Letter

Jairo

Jul 23, 2019
Thanks. I ultimately replied to the email containing authorization. Hopefully they respond soon.