+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have PR and living abroad

ahalaa

Sep 26, 2014
Hi,

I have PR and did landing end of 2012, I stayed 3 weeks where I opened a bank account and issued a driving license. But we as a family travelled back abroad, from then I regurlary transferd money to my bank account , each time less than 10,000CAD. I didn't report any tax! I had that thought as long as I not resident so it is not obligatory to do that specially I donot get any benefits such as health insurance. My question is is there any penalties FOR missing to report tax and secondly I have properties before the landing and I did not report them, so how can I register them in my profile, I am planning to settle in Canada summer 2015, shall I do the reporting now or I can stay till I settle. Sorry for the long question and appreciate in advance your reply

Regards,

Amadan123

Star Member
Dec 2, 2013
Hello Ahalaa,

Based on the facts provided, it does not seem that you were even a resident of Canada for tax purposes in 2012 and thereafter. This is because:

1) You or your family did not stay for more 183 days, and
2) You or your family didn't establish primary ties to Canada, like settling in a home.

As such, based on the facts given, you don't seem to have any reporting or tax payment obligations in 2012 and thereafter.

The drivers license and bank account are minor, secondary ties to Canada.

If you are unsure about your residency in 2012 and thereafter, you can file a NR73 with the CRA in the link below, and the CRA will tell you what they've determined based on the facts. Since the NR73 form is quite long and takes a while to process, you should just have a conversation with a CRA rep, and they'll be able to tell you what they think over the phone (that opinion over the phone, though, will not be authoritative or binding, but it will be helpful!). The CRA's number is 1-800-959-8281.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/nr73/nr73-12e.pdf

Madan Chartered Accountant team
www.madanca.com

ahalaa

Sep 26, 2014
Thanks a lot for your comprehensive reply, would you please advice regarding money transfers and how to register my outside properties?