+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have COPR, is landing mandatory on next visit to Canada?

spacedementia

Nov 30, 2017
Hello!

I am a US citizen who has received his Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) in the mail recently (Express Entry, Federal Skilled Worker). The question: next time I fly to Canada, am I required to go through the landing process using COPR I received or can I still temporarily visit using my US passport?

Here is my situation: my application was processed rather expeditiously, so I still have over 8 months of COPR validity. Ideally, I'd like to pre-arrange employment in Canada before landing, so that once I arrive for good I start working and supporting myself ASAP. Job searches (in my experience at least) require in-person interviews, which, for a job at a Canadian location, would most likely have to be conducted in Canada. I'd like to get those done before I land (ideally having an offer on hand), but if landing is mandatory on my next visit to Canada, this might not work. I also have family in Canada, and I'd like to continue visiting them while preparing for my landing. In general, I'm unwilling to move immediately for various reasons; my target window is 4-6 months out (hard cutoff of about 8 months out due to COPR expiration). In addition to arranging employment in Canada, I would like to use this time to finalize some things in the US before picking up and moving for good.

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hopefully you realize that you don't have to move to Canada as soon as you land. Nothing stopping you from landing and then leaving immediately.

No - you don't have to land on your next entry to Canada. You can just visit if you wish and land later.

I would recommend landing and obtaining a SIN before seriously sitting down with any employers. Many employers aren't that familiar with immigration. If you are in an interview situation before you have landed and are asked if you're legally entitled to work in Canada - you'll have to answer no. Of course you can explain the fact that you can land immediately and be able to work - however this might confuse some. You are best positioned in an interview situation if you have already landed and have a SIN.

Reactions: Jakev

spacedementia

Nov 30, 2017
Thank you for your quick reply! Yes, I realize that I can land and leave immediately. If I do that, however, I can only subsequently enter Canada either using my PR card or by using a PR travel doc. PR card takes a while, and I have not researched how to apply for PRTD (do know that can do that from outside of Canada though). In addition, am currently experiencing application fatigue so filling out more applications seems daunting. I'm sure I'd get over it right quick if this turns out to be the best course of action though! :)

Your last point is a good one. No idea how employers would react to my situation. Will keep this in mind as I research this. Has anyone had any experience with this?

PS I found an additional thread on the same topic from 2014; it confirms what you said.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/entering-canada-without-landing-after-being-issued-copr.235792/

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you're a US passport holder then you can re-enter without a PR card or PRTD.

spacedementia

Nov 30, 2017
Do you know if this is an official policy, or do I just not tell them I am a permanent resident and use US passport to enter? If it's official, would you mind posting any citations to IRCC website or other official sources for my peace of mind? Please note that this assumes I do the land-and-leave thing we've discussed above and that I become a PR immediately after successfully "landing."

The reason I'm asking is because I see the PR card or PRTD as a requirement for Canadian permanent resident to enter Canada (or board the flight) pretty much everywhere I look:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas-all.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/am-I-pr.asp (see "you need to prove your PR status to enter Canada" in the second sentence).

Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Do you know if this is an official policy, or do I just not tell them I am a permanent resident and use US passport to enter? If it's official, would you mind posting any citations to IRCC website or other official sources for my peace of mind? Please note that this assumes I do the land-and-leave thing we've discussed above and that I become a PR immediately after successfully "landing."

The reason I'm asking is because I see the PR card or PRTD as a requirement for Canadian permanent resident to enter Canada (or board the flight) pretty much everywhere I look:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas-all.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/am-I-pr.asp (see "you need to prove your PR status to enter Canada" in the second sentence).

Thank you!
Don't mix up the requirements for travelling to Canada vs. the requirements for entering Canada. A PR card or PRTD is NOT required to enter Canada.

As Americans are eTA-exempt, you can board the plane on the strength of just your US passport; don't mention your PR status to airline staff. You would then enter Canada as a PR; the CBSA officer will be able to see your PR status in the system just by swiping your passport.

spacedementia

Nov 30, 2017
Ugh, I wish the IRCC language was clear, talked explicitly about US (or other non-eTA) citizens, and matched what you suggest is empirical reality. But I suppose you can't have everything, and for now it's confusing: first link I cited talks about entry requirements and lists PR card or PRTD as such. The second link only talks about boarding explicitly and is being vague about entry requirements. The third only talks about "proving" PR status upon entry and the "usual" way to do this (CBSA agent swiping US passport and seeing PR in the system should qualify as a proof in theory). Thank you all for replying!

Last edited:
R

rish888

Ugh, I wish the IRCC language was clear, talked explicitly about US (or other non-eTA) citizens, and matched what you suggest is empirical reality. But I suppose you can't have everything, and for now it's confusing: first link I cited talks about entry requirements and lists PR card or PRTD as such. The second link only talks about boarding explicitly and is being vague about entry requirements. The third only talks about "proving" PR status upon entry and the "usual" way to do this (CBSA agent swiping US passport and seeing PR in the system should qualify as a proof in theory). Thank you all for replying!
Key thing to note here is the difference between entry requirements and commercial carrier requirements.

As far as entry requirements go, no need for a PR card or PRTD. Once you are at a Canadian border check point they can tell you're a PR based on your passport info. No need for any other documents. (Though your landing papers make it easier.)

As far as the requirements for commercial carriers (airplane, bus, ferry, train) go, every PR needs either a PR card on PRTD. (Technically) The reality however is that if you have a U.S. passport, which means you have both visa free access and are eTA exempt, then you can board a commercial carrier as a US citizen TOURIST. Then of course you declare your PR status to Canadian immigration officers once in Canada.

The thing to notice is that even with a U.S. passport, you are not supposed to tell the commercial carrier that you are a PR. If you do then they are obliged to ask for a PR card/PRTD before allowing you to board.

However, the reality is that ask long as you don't tell that you are a PR the U.S. passport is good enough. Legal grey area but it works. (And do note that there is no penalty for using the U.S. passport to get on a commercial carrier even though you technically should give a PR card/PRTD)

In a sentence, you're U.S. passport is good enough, period.

smtele

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-12-2015
Passport Req..
05-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016
You would then enter Canada as a PR; the CBSA officer will be able to see your PR status in the system just by swiping your passport.
I am not sure about this. PR status is granted upon landing. OP is trying not to do the landing formalities.