+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have Canadian PR , never lived in Canada

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
Hi everyone, years ago we applied for PR in Canada and landed for few days. We were planning to return to Canada the following year and spent considerable amount of time applying for jobs, but after sending hundreds of resumes didn't receive a mere invitation to an interview (for comparison: if we sent 10 resumes in the US, we would get at least one invitation to an interview, and possibly land a job). Anyhow, we decided to stay in US and not risk going to Canada to spend our life savings while looking for a job.

It seems like we are still permanent residents of Canada (although in breach of residency requirement). As of now, we are not planning to move to Canada. And, to be honest, it doesn't matter much if we eventually (formally) loose our permanent residency. So, this thread and questions is more out of curiosity:

If we were to some day cross Canadian border as American citizens, what would be chances of being reported/stopped at border for being Canadian permanent residents? How strictly the requirement is being enforced?

P.S. Do not get emotional and do not lecture me about laws and requirements of Canada, I am aware of both as it relates to PR obligation. Mind your own business and don't teach me morals. I am just curious, as to what the chances of retaining PR are, should I ever decide to come to Canada. I am asking for ANECDOTAL evidence (not statistics per se, but personal experiences of individuals in similar circumstances). I am US Citizen with above average income and stable job in professional field, and at the end of the day I couldn't care less about any pontification from "holier than though" types. I look for a simple, unemotional reflection on a true state of affairs at the border, as it relates to individuals who landed but never lived in Canada for 5 to 10 years. Thank you for your understanding.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone, years ago we applied for PR in Canada and landed for few days. We were planning to return to Canada the following year and spent considerable amount of time applying for jobs, but after sending hundreds of resumes didn't receive a mere invitation to an interview (for comparison: if we sent 10 resumes in the US, we would get at least one invitation to an interview, and possibly land a job). Anyhow, we decided to stay in US and not risk going to Canada to spend our life savings while looking for a job.

It seems like we are still permanent residents of Canada (although in breach of residency requirement). As of now, we are not planning to move to Canada. And, to be honest, it doesn't matter much if we eventually (formally) loose our permanent residency. So, this thread and questions is more out of curiosity:

If we were to some day cross Canadian border as American citizens, what would be chances of being reported/stopped at border for being Canadian permanent residents? How strictly the requirement is being enforced?

P.S. Do not get emotional and do not lecture me about laws and requirements of Canada, I am aware of both as it relates to PR obligation. Mind your own business and don't teach me morals. I am just curious, as to what the chances of retaining PR are, should I ever decide to come to Canada. I am asking for ANECDOTAL evidence (not statistics per se, but personal experiences of individuals in similar circumstances). I am US Citizen with above average income and stable job in professional field, and at the end of the day I couldn't care less about any pontification from "holier than though" types. I look for a simple, unemotional reflection on a true state of affairs at the border, as it relates to individuals who landed but never lived in Canada for 5 to 10 years. Thank you for your understanding.
No one can tell you the chances of being reported. You might be or you might not be. It will be a dice roll.

If you are reported, you won't be stopped from entering Canada. Being reported will simply trigger the process of officially revoking your PR status. It doesn't sound like you care about your PR status, so no real issue if that happens. You'll still be allowed to enter Canada (whether you are reported or not).

jakklondon

Oct 17, 2021
No one can tell you the chances of being reported. You might be or you might not be. It will be a dice roll.

If you are reported, you won't be stopped from entering Canada. Being reported will simply trigger the process of officially revoking your PR status. It doesn't sound like you care about your PR status, so no real issue if that happens. You'll still be allowed to enter Canada (whether you are reported or not).
Yes, I get it. By "stopped" I meant "sent to secondary inspection" (or detained for interrogation under whatever the protocol for reporting is) ,to report the failure to comply with PR obligation. I know as PR I will be let in and can formally appeal/ask to stop removal PR status, and stay in Canada while waiting for the outcome of the proceedings.

It's also true that I don't care much about PR status in Canada (having it is the same as not having it while staying out of Canada, and I don't have any incentives to leave US and move to Canada). I don't even know if I will ever visit Canada again. But I am curious as to what the odds of reporting at the border are. Are the border officers hard driven/highly motivated to report and keep out of Canada anyone who stayed out of Canada for years? Or is it more like what mood the individual officer is in, and most people sail through without any problems?

Reactions: CaBeaver

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, I get it. By "stopped" I meant "sent to secondary inspection" (or detained for interrogation under whatever the protocol for reporting is) ,to report the failure to comply with PR obligation. I know as PR I will be let in and can formally appeal/ask to stop removal PR status, and stay in Canada while waiting for the outcome of the proceedings.

It's also true that I don't care much about PR status in Canada (having it is the same as not having it while staying out of Canada, and I don't have any incentives to leave US and move to Canada). I don't even know if I will ever visit Canada again. But I am curious as to what the odds of reporting at the border are. Are the border officers hard driven/highly motivated to report and keep out of Canada anyone who stayed out of Canada for years? Or is it more like what mood the individual officer is in, and most people sail through without any problems?
The longer you remain out of Canada the higher the chance of being reported. Lack of time already spent in Canada and reason you haven’t met RO would also be a factor and a factor to retain your PR if you appealed. Better job opportunities would not be an accepted reason for not meeting your RO. There is some luck involved. Some CBSA agents don’t enjoy doing the paperwork. If you manage to enter unreported you may also run into other obstacles like not being able to work (apparently now you need to show a valid PR card to reactivate your SIN# which would be dormant), access healthcare, sponsor anyone for 2-3 years until you are back in compliance with your PR card, etc.

Reactions: BadGamer6

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

I would say it's somewhere between the two. It's per procedure for CBSA to verify this when it seems necessary but how closely the officer looks is a bit up to chance. I would say that the odds also increase that you will be reported the longer you are out / the greater the lack of RO compliance.

One other thing to consider is that this is how things work now. That may not be the case 5-10 years from now. There's been talk about Canada strengthening its enforcement of RO. This could potentially mean going the direction of the US which has very strict enforcement. Or maybe nothing will happen. Obviously impossible to say.

Last edited:

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
To everyone other than the OP: sorry. This will be something of a rant, from the soapbox one might say. Please skip.

Otherwise it appears the OP will not be offended since the OP has definitively declared they "couldn't care less about any pontification." They might not want to hear it, but of course what gets posted here in response to queries is not the OP's choice. So, in light of the OP's other rather gratuitous comments, most notably insinuations about Canadian bureaucrats engaging in "vigilantism," with a sigh . . .

My guess, just a guess, you will not like my response. Trolling tends to get me emotional. The soapbox beckons. So let me say upfront, if I may be allowed, thank you for your understanding.

And if this response does not drip with Canadian-politeness, my excuse is that I am an immigrant here and one with deep roots in my old country, with some deeply entrenched and hard-to-shake rather unpleasant habits and attitudes, or perhaps, as some might say, handicapped, the product of a bad start in a bad place.

Thing is, you could have answered the question yourself, as best you could, however you might, if you did not want answers you do not want to see or hear. I will not accuse you of being a fool, you seem to very well know what you are doing, but I will express some suspicion that you are at the least disingenuous. You posted, in an open forum on the internet, rather obviously aware that your query was likely to invite some responses you do not want to see or hear. And, moreover, you went to some pain to derisively describe those whose responses you did not want to see, before they so much as had a chance to respond, painting them, inter alia, as "'holier than though' types," and did this in your very first post here (at least while using a mutation of the White Fang author's name).

The more obvious targets of your derision are easily identified. It's true they rather often intrude with precepts rooted in the-rules-are-the-rules and should be enforced postures, except their version of what the rules are tends to be more strict than the actual rules, and quite a lot more strict than actual practice in how the rules are applied and enforced. I tend to disagree with them often. Sure, one might suspect, some are motivated by moralizing. But there is no need to go there. Usually. Targeting motives is usually a distraction, and ad hominem. Addressing how things actually work, as best we can discern, usually works, or at least is the best we can do.

But sometimes the motive is the message.

So, let's be clear, your "P.S." demand, your lecture to forum participants about how they can or cannot respond, tells the tale well enough. Never mind the internal contradictions in what you claim to be asking. After all, anecdotal experiences can only reflect what sometimes happens and without context or reliable statistics, will not ordinarily let alone necessarily reflect or indicate what is common, let alone what is the norm, let alone "a true state of affairs." Never mind the blatant fishing expedition, raising a question about just what it is you are fishing for, since you so explicitly make it clear you really have no reason to be interested in living in Canada, or even much if any interest in visiting Canada.

Forgive me if I am wrong apprehending your "curiosity" to be a pretense, and thank you for your understanding.

In that case, I will offer a summary of what you could have easily learned from just perusing a few threads in this forum about this subject.

Port-of-Entry Examination of PRs as to Residency Obligation Compliance, for PRs Returning to Canada After an Absence of Three Plus Years:

Most PRs are NOT questioned much if at all about RO compliance upon arrival at a PoE (I never was, not in many dozens of crossings while I was a PR).

While the query asked about coming here after being gone five years, which would typically mean the PR is arriving at the PoE without a valid PR card, if the absence has been for more than three years, even if the PR presents a valid PR card it is more or less obvious there is a RO compliance question, since it is impossible to meet the RO (without some exception applying) if the PR was last in Canada more than three years ago.

So, at the PIL (Primary Inspection Line) the screening official will ordinarily, but not always, recognize there is, potentially, a RO compliance issue if a PR applying for entry into Canada (such application is made by just showing up at the PIL) has either been outside Canada more than three years or does not present a currently valid PR card. It is not the PIL officer's job to conduct further screening, but rather to refer the traveler to Immigration Secondary. If the referral to Secondary is specifically about RO compliance questions, obviously that results in more extensive questioning about RO compliance.

There are other reasons why a PR might be referred to Immigration Secondary (in contrast to a referral to Secondary for merely customs screening) . But if there is such a referral, there is a significant risk that will include questions about RO compliance; might even be that with any referral to Immigration Secondary, it is likely there will be at least some questions aimed at verifying RO compliance.

Other factors also may trigger a referral to Secondary by the PIL officer for questioning about RO compliance. Some PRs must be referred to Secondary (such as a PR carrying a one-year PR card).

In contrast, anecdotal reports suggest that on more than a few occasions a PR who is in breach of the RO, including some way in breach, are just waived into Canada by the PIL officer. This appears to be about PRs carrying a visa-exempt passport, and perhaps even more so those presenting a U.S. passport, and mostly PRs who do not say anything to the PIL officer about being a Canadian PR. More than a few PRs outside Canada long in breach of the RO, and without a PR card, will actually attempt a return to Canada this way, hoping to be waived through. If they succeed, they can FIX their RO problem by staying for two years, without leaving, before applying for a new PR card. Not so easily done as it might sound. But more than a few try.

So the PIL is the biggest fork in the path determining whether a PR faces a more or less strict RO compliance examination upon returning to Canada. If the PIL officer waives the PR through, no RO compliance examination, no 44(1) Report for Inadmissibility for a breach of the RO.

Most indications are that this is less and less likely going forward. Electronic scanning of passport by PIL will almost always (not always but almost) identify the traveler to be a Canadian PR.

Once a PR is referred to Secondary and is questioned about RO compliance, the PR who is for sure in breach, and by a lot, and who is not making a strong H&C case for keeping PR status, the odds of being issued the 44(1) Report are probably VERY HIGH.

A traveler with a U.S. passport, or even one carrying another visa-exempt passport, might be waived through if the examining officer is satisfied the individual is just visiting, not intending to stay. Could be because there is no reason to do all the paperwork since the traveler will be allowed into Canada anyway (either after renouncing PR status and allowed in as a visitor, or allowed in as a PR "under enforcement" subject to the right to appeal) and will soon be leaving . . . let some other officer do the paperwork, next time. This seems to have been common in the not-so-distant past but as the border screening process has gotten more formal over the years, it seems very likely even this will be less and less common going forward.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
(at least while using a mutation of the White Fang author's name).
Props for calling out White Fang.

White Fang > Call of the Wild

bedema

Mar 29, 2019
Chances of you getting pickup by the border officer should not be high since you are a US citizen. I myself have a visa exempt passport and I was simply greeted by the officer and waived be goodbye. Some people will tell you that you cannot get a job, medic care and all that...NOT TRUE. Once you are in, you are no difference than any other PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Chances of you getting pickup by the border officer should not be high since you are a US citizen. I myself have a visa exempt passport and I was simply greeted by the officer and waived be goodbye. Some people will tell you that you cannot get a job, medic care and all that...NOT TRUE. Once you are in, you are no difference than any other PR.
When did you re-enter Canada? Was this recent? If so, can you share your experiences in renewing or reactivating your SIN and health care since this may help others?

I would have agreed with you 2 -3 years ago. However over the last year / year and a half, it now seems like it's much more difficult to do this and people are running into challenges without a valid PR card.

bedema

Mar 29, 2019
I came in a little more than 2 years ago, and recently, a few of my friends came in via land border and airports. No problem at all.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I came in a little more than 2 years ago, and recently, a few of my friends came in via land border and airports. No problem at all.
Interesting. Can you share which provinces? That might help others. I'm going to try to find an tag users who've run into problems recently. I know there was one last week.

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
Can you share whether or not you and your friends disclosed being a PR at the border, or did you pretend to be a tourist/visitor?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should have been flagged as a PR even with your US passport. Not the first person that hasn’t been caught but the computer database but the databases are getting better and should get better at flagging people based on same name and birth date if they have PR and visa exempt passport (or various citizenships). You can’t count on getting through with a visa exempt passport and if you are discovered and didn’t declare your PR status that can create issues with CBSA.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Anecdotal reports ONLY reflect what has happened on SOME occasions, and are not a reliable indicator of what often happens, let alone what will usually happen, let alone what will actually happen to another person, UNLESS there is sufficient contextual information to make reasonable inferences. That is, anecdotal reports offer very little information about what is likely to happen, at least not absent some statistical guard rails, or consistency with known rules and practices, or at least a sample that in both nature and size suggests it illustrates at least a common pattern.

Same-situation in very general terms does not, not even close, equal same-outcome.

Not sure what you mean by "getting pickup by the border officer." A PR will be allowed, and by law must be allowed to proceed into Canada even if at a Port-of-Entry they are determined, by a border official, to be inadmissible for a breach of the PR Residency Obligation. So, upon arrival at the border, a PR has NO risk of being arrested (which is what I would ordinarily associate with getting picked up by law enforcement, including border officials) for being in breach of the PR Residency Obligation. And NO risk of being turned back.

Beyond that there are many, many individual factors which can influence how it goes for any particular PR. It would not be fair, not close, to suggest the risk of a RO examination resulting in a report for breach of RO, for a PR who is in breach by a lot, is anything less than substantial . . . and this is increasingly so even for PRs carrying and presenting a valid PR card.

U.S. citizens presenting a valid U.S. passport or alternative identification like certain enhanced drivers licenses (which can be used for road crossings) probably have the lowest risk of being referred to Immigration Secondary. But even among them, background, border crossing history, circumstances attendant that occasion for crossing the border, relation and status of accompanying travelers, and so on, can all have some influence in whether the PIL officer decides to refer the particular PR to Immigration Secondary.

We simply do not have anywhere near enough data to even guess what number of PRs who are U.S. citizens presenting a U.S. passport, or citizens of other visa-exempt countries presenting that country's passport, are referred to Secondary by PIL officers versus the number waived through.

We do know some things about some aspects of this. For example, there have been a sufficient number of anecdotal reports, in conjunction with official accounts (mostly IAD decisions) of actual cases, in conjunction with what we know about the law, the policies, the rules, and how they are enforced, to recognize:
-- as @canuck78 observed, all the trends are in the direction of increasing identification and enforcement for PRs in breach of the RO, so the odds of just getting waived through are almost certainly declining, and​
-- if referred to Secondary, there is a high risk of being issued a 44(1) Report if the PR's breach of the RO is by a lot and the PR does not have a good H&C case​

So as I previously noted, the biggest fork in the path for how things will go is whether or not the PIL officer waives the PR through (still happening, we just do not know what the numbers are, not even close). Versus making a referral to Secondary.

As @canuck78 put it, for PRs in breach of the RO arriving at the border to enter Canada: "You can’t count on getting through with a visa exempt passport." And it would imprudent to mislead anyone otherwise.

Moreover, it is especially NOT fair to assure a PR in breach of the RO, and without a valid PR card, that there are not potential problems with things like qualifying for medical care and other aspects of life in Canada. Some provinces pose more severe hurdles than others. BC, for example, as to health care and drivers licenses, appears to be a lot more severe than Ontario. The nature of the difficulties encountered, like the risk of being reported, will typically VARY depending on the individual's particular circumstances. An expired PR card might suffice in Ontario, for example, depending how how long ago it expired. Not so in some other provinces. PRs who have been outside Canada so long there has been no activity with their SIN# resulting in the SIN# being deactivated, which means that PR can face real problems getting employment and the PR does not have a PR card to submit with an application to have the SIN# reactivated.

And for the PR in breach of the RO, for as long as the PR remains in breach (which means two years for many) there are other big differences, from "any other PR," ranging from lack of eligibility to sponsor family to a prohibitively high risk for any travel outside Canada.

Bottom line, even though once waived through (with big emphasis on IF that is how it goes at the border) the PR in breach of the RO is mostly just another PR in Canada, the differences are enough it is no stroll in the park for most, and can be rather difficult for many.