+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

have anyone travel to the states after getting AIP with a work permit

hazard

Star Member
Jul 22, 2013
I want to go to US for labour day weekend. Have anyone travelled to the US and was able to come back in with a work permit. I am not from a visa exempt country to canada. I have US visa. Will it be difficult to enter the state's since I overstayed my visa in canada

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The work permit isn't a re-entry permit. If you are non-visa exempt, you need a TRV if you're going to re-enter Canada.

hazard

Star Member
Jul 22, 2013
But cic website says that I can travel to US and st Pierre miquelon if I have valid work permit and re enter canada

frege

Jun 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
01-08-2012
Med's Done....
02-12-2011
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
28-11-2012 (copy only)
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
LANDED..........
15-12-2012
hazard said:
But cic website says that I can travel to US and st Pierre miquelon if I have valid work permit and re enter canada
I have no direct experience of this, so what I say below is based on information I've read in CIC literature.

As you point out, if your work permit is still valid, it should be okay, as long as you don't go anywhere besides the US.

Obviously though, you're taking a risk, because if you're not allowed back in, your whole inland application will be lost and you'll have to apply outland. It's a matter of evaluating how realistic the risk of refusal is.

Here is what Section 23.1 of Manual OP11 says. (This applies to applications for a TRV overseas, but presumably the same considerations would be taken into account by a border officer at a port of entry.)

Visa officers should verify by checking FOSS or CAIPS whether or not approval in principle (AIP—
first stage "approval in principle") has been granted on the in-Canada application.
If AIP has been granted (that is, the applicant meets the requirements of the class but is awaiting
screening on admissibility), and:
• there are no serious admissibility or eligibility concerns;
• there is no reason to think the applicant is likely to fall out of status during the finalization of
their application for PR within Canada; and
• it appears likely that the applicant will become a permanent resident during their authorized
stay in Canada (including any extensions) and would not stay in Canada illegally [i.e., meets
R179(b)];
then, if satisfied of the above, the visa officer should issue a TRV.
So if there is nothing at all that you think would be a particular problem for you (convictions, etc.), the risk of refusal seems low.

Personally, though, just for a weekend in the US, I wouldn't do it, because I'd prefer the peace of mind of not taking that small risk.