prapplicant

Jan 25, 2010
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Sep-2011
Hi,

I have a US GC but want to apply Canada PR as well under CEC. Will they take away my GC if i travel to Canada on a PR temporarily. I dont intent to shift to Canada but just want to keep a PR for personal reasons. Will stay in the US only on GC but occasionally visit Canada.

Please guide.

Thanks

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Don't forget the residency requirements for keeping the, PR in Canada. You can't just 'get' PR. You have to use it to keep it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you only plan to visit Canada occasionally and live in the US - there is no point applying for PR. To keep your PR status you must live in Canada for two out of every five years.

seton

Jun 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
Med's Request
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
prapplicant said:
Hi,

I have a US GC but want to apply Canada PR as well under CEC. Will they take away my GC if i travel to Canada on a PR temporarily. I dont intent to shift to Canada but just want to keep a PR for personal reasons. Will stay in the US only on GC but occasionally visit Canada.

Please guide.

Thanks
Some have tried, but it is difficult to maintain the eligibility requirements on both sides. The US has a specific clause that says that you must not intend to "Move to another country to live there permanently."

Applying for a Canadian PR could be seen as a violation of the above, and result in a loss of your GC.

In my opinion, it's not worth it (unless you intend to move to Canada) as it could jeapordize your US status. After your US naturalization, then maybe it is worth trying.

prapplicant

Jan 25, 2010
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Sep-2011
No ill intention folks. I need canada PR to get and OHIP refund of about 13K paid for my wifes delivery. I now have a US GC and I am eligible in CEC. OHIP said we will refund if you apply PR. So I want my 13k back but dont want to risk my GC for that.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prapplicant said:
No ill intention folks. I need canada PR to get and OHIP refund of about 13K paid for my wifes delivery. I now have a US GC and I am eligible in CEC. OHIP said we will refund if you apply PR. So I want my 13k back but dont want to risk my GC for that.
Are you kidding?

prapplicant

Jan 25, 2010
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Sep-2011
nope. I am serious. why do you say that. you want me to ignore the 13K?

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prapplicant said:
nope. I am serious. why do you say that. you want me to ignore the 13K?
Personally I think it's morally wrong.

1) You aren't entitled the the refund, and that's why you haven't got it to date.
2) You are a US green card holder, and you intend to reside in the US - you have no intentions of residing in Canada permanently.
3) The PR process wasn't designed for people to claim back money they were obliged to pay for health care.

Basically, you intend to reside in the US as a permanent resident and you are talking about applying for Canadian PR in order for the Canadian tax payers to fund your hospital bills - that is simply wrong.

It baffles me that some people don't really get the issues... The sense of peoples entitlement is unreal...

prapplicant

Jan 25, 2010
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Sep-2011
how is this. I am entitled but because of poor extension policies , I paid out of my pocket. Paid taxes for 3 years in Canada. They want me in canada to claim refund even tho i am entitled to it

if you are really interested,I can run the story here. Infact if I give up the money, it would be a wrong on OHIP and me, both

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prapplicant said:
how is this. I am entitled but because of poor extension policies , I paid out of my pocket. Paid taxes for 3 years in Canada. They want me in canada to claim refund even tho i am entitled to it

if you are really interested,I can run the story here. Infact if I give up the money, it would be a wrong on OHIP and me, both
What do you mean poor extension policies? Did this happen in the US???

prapplicant

Jan 25, 2010
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Sep-2011
Give me time and I will explain the whole goof up. In a day or two

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
jsm0085 said:
What do you mean poor extension policies? Did this happen in the US???
If I were to guess, he had OHIP, valid with the same schedule as his work permit. Work permit expired and so did OHIP. During that period he incurred expenses. If you are on implied status, you pay out of your pocket and once health card is renewed, OHIP will refund the expenses. Of course that is only if the card is renewed. They do this so people aren't scared of getting medical care due to expenses.

CEC AOR itself is one avenue you can get OHIP. Basically he has to apply for CEC and then once he gets the AOR he can apply for OHIP and then once he gets the card he can ask for refund by providing the medical bills. If he has a new work permit he can use that but I doubt it since he's looking into CEC instead.

Again, I'm guessing here about his condition but the refund thing is real if you don't have OHIP for a short period between two periods of eligibility.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thisisauser said:
If I were to guess, he had OHIP, valid with the same schedule as his work permit. Work permit expired and so did OHIP. During that period he incurred expenses. If you are on implied status, you pay out of your pocket and once health card is renewed, OHIP will refund the expenses. Of course that is only if the card is renewed. They do this so people aren't scared of getting medical care due to expenses.

Again, I'm guessing here about his condition but the refund thing is real if you don't have OHIP for a short period between two periods of eligibility.
For sure, but I imagine it's for people who intend then to be in Canada having renewed their status, not those who then choose to go to the US?

thisisauser

Nov 23, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
jsm0085 said:
For sure, but I imagine it's for people who intend then to be in Canada having renewed their status, not those who then choose to go to the US?
Sorry, I edited quickly but you responded even faster.

I'm not sure what he wants to do with Canadian PR, but CEC AOR is enough to renew OHIP and recover his medical expenses. If he was paying taxes here at the time then I think it's fair that OHIP pays for those regardless of his future intentions. It's not like he's coming over every once in a while to (ab)use OHIP, he just wants it for past expenses.

IMMI_123

Star Member
Jun 11, 2012
Hello thisisauser,

Hey I didn't know CEC AOR is enough to extend OHIP...How long they renew for CEC AOR? One year?

I was in the same situation as 'prapplicant' twice when my work permit was getting extended...I need to pay from my pocket to the clinic..unfortunately that's the time we had huge medical expenses. The worst part of it, the clinic did not pay me the full amount though the health ministry paid them ( say I paid $65 for my each visit to the clinic , but the clinic paid only $30 back to me since that's what they get it from ministry)..When I called the ministry they said, they can not control the clinics...I almost lost more than $800 due to that. I always wonder why OHIP is not covered during the implied status when we are legally allowed to stay/work and pay taxes. :(