+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has anyone received help from their MP in getting IRCC to do their jobs?

Spielo

Star Member
May 21, 2016
It's been 18 months now and I'm just sick of this. IRCC are useless.

It is the job of Members of Parliament to help people with their problems with the federal government. When I lived in Toronto, I contacted my MP for help to move IRCC along, and they did absolutely nothing to help. Just ignored me.

I've now moved to Ottawa and have tried complaining to my new MP, waiting for a reply.

Both MPs are in safe Liberal seats, so have absolutely no incentive to help their constituents with anything. I'd call this a failure of our voting system, but we can't even vote!

Has anyone had any success in getting their MP to help with their application. I'm done waiting for IRCC. Pandemic or no pandemic, it's not hard to do paperwork working from home. Covid is no excuse. It's absolutely shameful that it took them a year to figure out how to conduct an utterly pointless citizenship test online. This is just not good enough. Pathetic even.

I have been utterly failed by IRCC. We all have.

Reactions: Manj96

Spielo

Star Member
May 21, 2016
I know it won't make any difference, but I've also just written to the minister to tell him that his ministry is failing us and it's unacceptable.

The federal government is a joke.

Moustafa33918

Jun 29, 2021
I asked my MP also, they simply asked me to fill a consent form and they ghosted after that. I have been waiting for my test for two years now! Absolutely disappointing timeline.

Anford

Oct 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Vancouver, BC
I contacted my MP three times in the past 6 or so months... Filled the form once and then their email answer (from my MP's personal assistant) was basically only "you must be patient, there is covid-19 but IRCC is working on your application". I doubt anybody has received any real help, they just want to check it out as "done" by responding to your email and that's the job done for them.

Spielo

Star Member
May 21, 2016
I honestly don't know why we have MPs. They claim that they are your "local representative" is demonstrably untrue. They are there to cheerlead their precious political party and nothing else.

Reactions: Rondee and Tina461

Spielo

Star Member
May 21, 2016
Astonishingly, I got a prompt reply from the office of my new MP, and they're actually going to try and help. I actually can't believe it. It might not make any difference, but at least they're trying.

My new MP is Mona Fortier (MP for Vanier), and I'm genuinely impressed that someone from her office responded to me within 1 business day. My previous MP (Julie Dzerowicz) didn't get back to me for weeks, gave a one line reply, then ghosted me when I tried to follow up. I wasn't surprised though, Dzerowicz is little more than a stock photo in her constituency, and does nothing for the people she's supposed to represent. He's resolutely focused on bolstering her own career and nothing else.

Spielo

Star Member
May 21, 2016
My MP's office contacted IRCC, who confirmed that the application is "in progress and awaiting citizenship test", this is news to me, because the online service for checking the status shows "language skills", "physical presence", and "prohibitions" all still "In progress". My assumption is that these three components are in fact complete, but they won't be marked as such until a test appointment is made available to me.

This is very frustrating, and somewhat defeats the purpose of the new online status system, but it's reassuring to know that behind the scenes it seems I'm actually now just awaiting a test invite.

I requested urgent processing for my application, and it seems pretty clear at this point that it hasn't been treated with any urgency whatsoever (everyone else in the March 2019 cohort who requested urgent processing is now finished).

IRCC really needs to sort itself out.

Moustafa33918

Jun 29, 2021
My MP's office contacted IRCC, who confirmed that the application is "in progress and awaiting citizenship test", this is news to me, because the online service for checking the status shows "language skills", "physical presence", and "prohibitions" all still "In progress". My assumption is that these three components are in fact complete, but they won't be marked as such until a test appointment is made available to me.

This is very frustrating, and somewhat defeats the purpose of the new online status system, but it's reassuring to know that behind the scenes it seems I'm actually now just awaiting a test invite.

I requested urgent processing for my application, and it seems pretty clear at this point that it hasn't been treated with any urgency whatsoever (everyone else in the March 2019 cohort who requested urgent processing is now finished).

@Spielo I am exactly in the same boat. Let me guess, did you apply slightly after the 1095 days required timeframe? And did you said you moved to ottawa which is a change in address. I did the same thing, submitted 1109 days and move to a new city (ottawa). Last time i checked they told me my file is now moved to Hamilton. Maybe once you do this, you re-start in the queue. I have no clue what is a priority for them or how they manage applications. I feel you and me have now a non-routine applications which is weird. We didn’t nothing wrong but I guess they don’t like if you submit just little over the 1095 needed. I feel you do more background check on these cases. Also, you might be like me who traveled every year in the last 6 years, so maybe this is also a slowdown thing for them. Anyways, I am not happy with how IRCC work but our hands are tight.

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto

Those three components will STAY as in progress until after your test is validated and if an interview or more documents is required. Once these steps are completed those three components will move to “completed”.

MrChazz

May 4, 2021

The online tracker is not very useful. When it was initialized they put everything (other than "test" and "oath") to "in progress". in fact GCMS notes will show that some "in progress" things have actually not been started. The GCMS notes will also tell you if indeed your case is "test ready".

Spielo

Star Member
May 21, 2016
@Spielo I am exactly in the same boat. Let me guess, did you apply slightly after the 1095 days required timeframe? And did you said you moved to ottawa which is a change in address. I did the same thing, submitted 1109 days and move to a new city (ottawa).
This is 100% my situation. The incompetence of IRCC is simply astonishing.

Spielo

Star Member
May 21, 2016
Those three components will STAY as in progress until after your test is validated and if an interview or more documents is required. Once these steps are completed those three components will move to “completed”.
Thanks for explaining this. What a pathetic state of affairs. What's the point of developing a fancy new online system to provide status information if it can't even provide accurate information?

The federal civil service is spectacularly mismanaged, and is in desperate need of reform.

Spielo

Star Member
May 21, 2016
Cutting it close is always a risk… and moving to a new city dramatically slows down the process - no idea why. Know a friend moved from the Maritimes to the GTA, they waited for more than half a year for their oath invitations to arrive.
Neither of these things _should_ be a risk though. It doesn't matter one bit if you're 2 days over the requirement or 2000 days, you meet the requirement. Likewise, moving house shouldn't delay the application by more than the two minutes required to update an address.

It's just a shameful level of inefficiency.

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
Neither of these things _should_ be a risk though. It doesn't matter one bit if you're 2 days over the requirement or 2000 days, you meet the requirement. Likewise, moving house shouldn't delay the application by more than the two minutes required to update an address.

It's just a shameful level of inefficiency.
If you are moving with in the same area - the delay should be minimal. But if you move from the GTA to Ottawa for example, that normally triggers a file transfer to the new office (based on assumption) - I think that is what's causing the delay.

Spielo

Star Member
May 21, 2016
If you are moving with in the same area - the delay should be minimal. But if you move from the GTA to Ottawa for example, that normally triggers a file transfer to the new office (based on assumption) - I think that is what's causing the delay.
I expect you're right, but it's still an extremely stupid problem which should not exist.