+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has anyone on PR have experience using US GC as Commuter

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
As title thread suggest, I'm looking for real world examples of folks who are Canadian PR and live in a border town who also happen to have US GC and commute into US for work. According to my research there is Commuter type GC (C2 note on US Green card) which allows one to live in Canada but commute to US for work. This will be very helpful for me as I anticipate I'll get US GC prior to satisfying RO for applying for Canadian Citizenship. I would like to maintain my Canadian PR and thus obtain Citizenship but at same time not give up on US GC. Let me know if folks here have any experience with such scenario.

Jay Clayton

Jun 16, 2022
Hello Everyone if I can get feedback on this particular matter it would be greatly appreciated. If anyone can share their experience With expired COPR it will be appreciated. I’m from New York City & was sponsored by my spouse to come to Canada. I missed my landing date due to personal family circumstances & other issues. My Corp expired on March 3, 2022.
I reached out to IRCC via webform. A immigration agent responded telling me to reach out to the immigration office in New York & that she gave them my explanation letter including supporting documents. I emailed the Canadian visa office and received this response. I also reached out to the local MP in Canada. Any feedback would be appreciated. Would you guys say I’m in the clear?

Dear Sir,

The Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) has expired and, as a result, cannot be used for landing.

This office will request an extension of your medical result, which will in turn, extend the validity of the CoPR.

If a new medical exam is required, this office will advise you in the coming days.

Advise this office if you intend to remain in Canada for the near future as we may be able to coordinate with an IRCC office inland for in-Canada landing.

Kindly await further instructions.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Would you guys say I’m in the clear?
This office will request an extension of your medical result, which will in turn, extend the validity of the CoPR.

If a new medical exam is required, this office will advise you in the coming days.
You haven't specified what your question is exactly, but if by 'am I in the clear' you mean, does it look like IRCC will let me immigrate under my current file (and not consider the file lapsed), then I would say yes, it does look like that.

Jay Clayton

Jun 16, 2022
Thanks for responding to my question armoured. I’ll specify so my medical expired & I reached out to the immigration office in New York City where I’m originally from. They said they’ll request a extension to validate my COPR. My question is if IRCC would still allow me to have Permanent residence status based off the emailed response. When they extend your medical do you get a new COPR Document? Btw you can ignore my direct message I just read your profile.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My question is if IRCC would still allow me to have Permanent residence status based off the emailed response. When they extend your medical do you get a new COPR Document?
Only based on their response, yes, and yes. Obviously we don't know for certain but that's what it sounds like. I don't think you should worry, they're going to figure out how to do it (either by approval of existing medical exam or a new one).

Their response is not well-written, but I don't think the question of whether they 'extend the validity' of the one that expired or issue you a new one (with a new validity) matters at all.

Our situation was somewhat different* but in substance similar - in the end we resubmitted our passports and they simply issued new visas and coprs.

*The difference was that it was during covid when they were still making it explicit that those who could not travel within validity of COPR [because covid] could write and make arrangements. So we didn't have any real concern that our request would be refused. Otherwise was technically I guess the same although we didn't ahve any correspondence about the medicals, I guess they resolved that internally.

Jay Clayton

Jun 16, 2022
Hey Armoured thanks for the information you provided me with. I got correspondence from IRCC I was requested to submit a new medical exam. I already completed it so I’m assuming I’m almost through.

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey Armoured thanks for the information you provided me with. I got correspondence from IRCC I was requested to submit a new medical exam. I already completed it so I’m assuming I’m almost through.
[/QUOT

Normally not possible but due to Covid you will likely get lucky. Getting medicals extended in this situation would have been pretty abnormal. As long as you and your spouse can prove that you will be resettling in Canada as soon as your get PR you should be fine.

Jay Clayton

Jun 16, 2022
Thanks for your feedback armoured. I’m actually physically in Canada. I got invited to do a virtual landing after I submitted my new updated medical. So IRCC resolved the situation. I’d say I’m lucky due to covid-19. I was asked by IRCC to provide my Canadian Address.

Reactions: armoured