+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has anyone got FBI Report done via a CHANNELER instead of directly through FBI

do_not_reply

Jun 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
FBI report directly takes approximately 12 to 15 weeks but we get the hard copy with FBI Seal and Watermark

Via Channeler it can be done in a WEEK , difference is we don't get hard copy , it will be electronic without SEAL and without WATERMARK..everything else is same in the report as hard copy.

Has anyone submitted such electronic report to CIC and if it was acceptable ??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Channeler reports aren't accepted by CIC. You need to get the FBI version.

MooseNBooze

Nov 6, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2016
Doc's Request.
22-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
22-01-2016
Passport Req..
22-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-05-2016
LANDED..........
25-12-2016
do_not_reply said:
FBI report directly takes approximately 12 to 15 weeks but we get the hard copy with FBI Seal and Watermark

Via Channeler it can be done in a WEEK , difference is we don't get hard copy , it will be electronic without SEAL and without WATERMARK..everything else is same in the report as hard copy.

Great question. As you're surely aware, CIC explicitly says it won't accept third-party private party reports (i.e., using channelers) - "Citizenship and Immigration Canada does not accept FBI police certificates issued by FBI-approved third party private companies. Only police certificates issued directly by the FBI will be accepted." source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp

Yes, there have been some posters who've tried uploading Channeler-generated reports. And CIC has rejected their reports. I don't recall the posters who've been through this but it's been discussed quite extensively in the massive FBI PCC thread.

This is the thread -
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/fbi-pcc-t247817.0.html

If you dig through it, you will come across the discussion. I believe the posters attempted it back in the day when they used to issue apostilled and/or "blue sheet" reports (official) versus the plain paper reports. I believe some channelers claim that their reports are printed on the same paper (with similar watermarks etc.) that FBI uses. I don't know if anyone has tried uploading a report by such channelers.

Let us know what else you find on this topic. That will be helpful to many folks. Best wishes.

P.S. edit: btw, only US citizens and permanent residents can use the channeler option, per FBI's rules/regulations, so this option isn't even on the table for the vast majority of folks on this forum, I suspect.

Reactions: saylorgunn

Canadaistheway

Dec 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
do_not_reply said:

That's huge risk of having the application refused after wasting several weeks. And their wait is 16+ weeks plus transit currently.

jamdon24

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
So I'm a little confused.....when I called the FBI channeler, their response was that they obtain the same background check from the FBI that you would obtain going directly through the FBI. When I called CIC, the gentleman told me that as long as the background check comes directly from the FBI, it doesn't matter if a third party obtains it for you (ie; FBI Channeler). I've sent prints off to a Channeler & to FBI directly to be safe, but my understanding was that the report obtained from the Channeler would be accepted? Thoughts?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
do_not_reply said:

Surely the clue here is NO SEAL and NO WATERMARK therefore not accepted by CIC ! The wait time is what it is and a small time to wait to get the end result. So many people want to get PR in days or a few weeks when there are processes in place for a purpose and there a lot of 3rd party companies out there promising fastpath immigration processing for a fee, buyer beware seems to apply.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
jamdon24 said:
So I'm a little confused.....when I called the FBI channeler, their response was that they obtain the same background check from the FBI that you would obtain going directly through the FBI. Whene I called CIC, the gentleman told me that as long as the background check comes directly from the FBI, it doesn't matter if a third party obtains it for you (ie; FBI Channeler). I've sent prints off to a Channeler & to FBI directly to be safe, but my understanding was that the report obtained from the Channeler would be accepted? Thoughts?
Not sure what there is to be confused about. Channeler reports aren't accepted. It's pretty black and white.

FYI - CIC help desk gives out wrong answers all of the time. Don't believe anything they say.

jamdon24

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
scylla said:
Not sure what there is to be confused about. Channeler reports aren't accepted. It's pretty black and white.

FYI - CIC help desk gives out wrong answers all of the time. Don't believe anything they say.
Alright....thanks for reply. The confusing part is the fact that channeler reports were accepted in 2015 and that I was advised by the CIC that it was acceptable. I was merely asking a question as it wasn't black and white from the information and answers I had received.

J3N05

Mar 23, 2016
Okay, so when I read the thread from 2015 about CIC accepting FBI approved third channels, CIC website was down so I couldn't double check. Could I have called? Yes. But I didn't so I used and approved third party and am awaiting the documents in the mail. I did however read this article after CIC changed it, article from balglobal, and im not allowed to post the link for some reason, but it says:

What is the change? Canada is requiring police clearances directly from the FBI in certain cases where officials previously accepted clearances from third-party FBI-approved channelers.
What does the change mean? FBI clearances will likely be required for U.S. and other nationals filing at Canadian consulates in the U.S. Those applying for permits at a point of entry most likely can still rely on FBI channelers. Non-U.S. nationals who have lived in the U.S., or U.S. nationals with a criminal record, should be prepared to provide police clearances issued directly by the FBI; channelers will not be accepted in these instances.
Implementation time frame: Ongoing.
Visas/permits affected: Work permits and other permits or visas for which FBI police clearances are required.
Who is affected: Foreign nationals in need of FBI police clearances to enter Canada.
Impact on processing times: Obtaining a police clearance directly from the FBI takes between two and three months, significantly longer than obtaining a police clearance from third-party channelers.
Business impact: Businesses should factor the change into their timelines for employees in need of FBI police clearances.
Background: Earlier this year, Canada stopped accepting police clearances from FBI-approved channelers in certain cases. Citizenship and Immigration Canada did not publicly announce any changes in policy, and the rules are not perfectly clear. However, U.S. nationals applying for work permits or other permits or visas requiring police clearances at a U.S. consulate should be prepared to provide FBI clearances. Those applying at a point of entry can most likely rely on FBI channelers. The change does not affect non-U.S. nationals who have lived in the U.S. or nationals of any country who have a criminal record; such applicants are required to obtain police clearances directly from the FBI.

So I am taking my boyfriend to port of entry as they now do immigration cases, however he has had 2 D.U.I's so I think I am just going to try and see what happens, and in the mean time send his second set of fingerprints to the F.B.I however they are so backed up that will take at least 6 months...i am so frustrated and anxious, I feel like I am jumping through hoops :(