+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has anyone got a TN Visa?NAFTA Visa for American with job offer in Canada.. Need some help!

LivLivLiv

Apr 24, 2016
Hello,

My inquiry is regarding my boyfriend's situation as he's looking to soon apply for a TN Visa to stay here in Canada for one more year. I'm mainly looking to find someone who has done this and knows what's required/some tips for us. He will go apply very soon and we want to make sure that he does indeed have the right qualifications/eligibility which he is highlighting. We are hoping that he has all of necessary qualifications

He is an American citizen. He grew up in between Argentina and the U.S. He then moved to Canada to study. He has been on a Work Visa here in Canada for the past two years, and prior to that he spent 3 years on a student visa studying in British Columbia. He then moved to Montreal after his graduation and continued on his current work visa.

He has a job offer letter from the company which he has worked a year with already, The company is a Montreal-based photography/photo-editing/graphic design company specializing in wedding and event photography/editing and production of print materials. They have offered him a promotion to Senior Graphic Designer with more responsibilities than he had in the first year. In this letter they have outlined his duties, salary, start date and date of which he needs to accept the offer by. (Start date: June 1st, requesting him to accept the offer by May 15th.) The job offer letter also made sure to outline that his background and work experience in Argentina and his fluency in Spanish have brought their company a new base of spanish-speaking clients which he does projects for, making his experience in Argentina integral to the job offer. Unfortunately this promotion is right before the end of his current work visa, which is set to be over on June 16th, 2016. So we looked into the TN Visa as a way for him to accept this job offer and stay one more year in Montreal.

He has a diploma in Music Composition & Sound Design/Engineering from a College in British Columbia. As well as a second diploma in Directed Studies in which he focused on Sound Design. Although the diploma isn't exactly titled "Graphic Design", he has amassed some years of experience in the field of graphic design, and he has connected sound engineering to branding and been given work which combines both graphic design and sound engineering. The current employer requests in the job offer that he does promotional video material employing his sound design knowledge so that brings the diploma into relevancy. I believe he has at least 3 years experience in the field of Graphic Design, as well: -One year at the current company,( in a more entry level position as graphic designer before he was offered this new job offer,) - and Two years working with a film production company on graphic design tasks in Argentina. He has also done projects for varying clients around Canada, and side projects since he has been here in Montreal, all in Graphic Design, which I hope would add to his experience base.

So, he is hoping to go to the Montreal Airport to submit his application to an officer. He will go with his identification/passport, cover letter (his own letter of intent to get the Visa), His CV outlining his experience and education, his original Diplomas, His job offer letter, a reference letter from that same employer by whom he was offered this job, as well as letters of reference proving of the experience he claims to have on his CV, and a letter of recommendation from a successful Graphic Design CEO based in Seattle whom he had as a mentor and a close contact. He also plans to bring a small sample of his works including a portfolio and designed photo books and print material which he'll be working on in the job.

Is this sufficient? What would you recommend to our situation? Are these qualifications valid for a NAFTA Visa? Are there any changes he should make to ensure success? Anybody been through the TN/Nafta process already and have some feedback for us?

Thank you very much (through my long-winded explanation) and I truly appreciate your time.

Best!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's one thing I can help with although it's not something you have specifically asked. If he's already in Canada, he cannot obtain the work permit from an airport. Obtaining a work permit from an airport is only possible if you are arriving in Canada on an international flight. He will have to go to a US / Canada land border, exit Canada and then re-enter (this is referred to as flagpoling).

LivLivLiv

Apr 24, 2016
scylla said:
There's one thing I can help with although it's not something you have specifically asked. If he's already in Canada, he cannot obtain the work permit from an airport. Obtaining a work permit from an airport is only possible if you are arriving in Canada on an international flight. He will have to go to a US / Canada land border, exit Canada and then re-enter (this is referred to as flagpoling).
Thanks for your reply ! Have you ever received a TN Visa yourself? He's already in Canada on his current valid work visa. So let's say he goes to the border, applies, and he is denied the TN Visa. Can he come back into the country to continue the current visa he has if it is denied? or will he be blocked? :( :eek:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately I've never gone through the process myself. Hopefully someone else will be able to assist with your further questions.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
LivLivLiv said:
Thanks for your reply ! Have you ever received a TN Visa yourself? He's already in Canada on his current valid work visa. So let's say he goes to the border, applies, and he is denied the TN Visa. Can he come back into the country to continue the current visa he has if it is denied? or will he be blocked? :( :eek:
No idea about NAFTA but as a general rule, if he's going to the border when current work permit still valid, he should be able to entry again if the new work permit is not issued, but better don't go to close to expiration date.

However, could be tricky, so better ask for a better advise.

Consider to apply online/paper within Canada if possible.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=171&top=17

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/port.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/international/nafta.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/free-trade.asp

LivLivLiv

Apr 24, 2016
Gregor.Samsa said:
No idea about NAFTA but as a general rule, if he's going to the border when current work permit still valid, he should be able to entry again if the new work permit is not issued, but better don't go to close to expiration date.

However, could be tricky, so better ask for a better advise.

Consider to apply online/paper within Canada if possible.
Wow, Thanks so much. Really helpful links. We are realizing now that to come into Canada, the process is Called International Mobility Program and not TN? I think we will be able to get his employer to fill submit this offer of employment with an LMIA exemption code under the International Mobility Program (NAFTA). Is TN the term used more for Canadians or Mexicans wanting to work in the United States? Maybe that's why I couldnt seem to find any information on "TN" for coming into Canada. Different terminologies...

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
LivLivLiv said:
Wow, Thanks so much. Really helpful links. We are realizing now that to come into Canada, the process is Called International Mobility Program and not TN? I think we will be able to get his employer to fill submit this offer of employment with an LMIA exemption code under the International Mobility Program (NAFTA). Is TN the term used more for Canadians or Mexicans wanting to work in the United States? Maybe that's why I couldnt seem to find any information on "TN" for coming into Canada. Different terminologies...
I never heard about TN, so probably it's a different terminology used in US.