+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has anyone applied for spousal sponsorship while residing in another country?

Gemini1

Star Member
Apr 4, 2011
Hi all,
I am a Canadian citizen living in the UK. I was curious to know if anyone has ever applied for spousal sponsorship to Canada while living in another country? I moved to the UK in order to be closer to my husband and we are planning on moving to Canada as soon as his visa is approved.
Any input would be great :)

MDSB

Feb 16, 2011
Scotland
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-06-2011
AOR Received.
28-07-2011
File Transfer...
13-07-2011
Med's Done....
16-05-2011
Passport Req..
07-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
31-10-2011
Gemini1 said:
Hi all,
I am a Canadian citizen living in the UK. I was curious to know if anyone has ever applied for spousal sponsorship to Canada while living in another country? I moved to the UK in order to be closer to my husband and we are planning on moving to Canada as soon as his visa is approved.
Any input would be great :)
Yes, many of us have. Go through the Outland Sponsorship route... http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp Took around 5 months for me through London Office via Mississauga. Good luck.

essex0227

Apr 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4th August 2011
File Transfer...
12th October 2011
Med's Request
Received 17th October 2011
Med's Done....
2nd August 2011
Interview........
Waivered
Passport Req..
18th November 2011
VISA ISSUED...
6th December 2011
LANDED..........
14th June 2012
My husband is Canadian and he lives we me in the UK
At the minute things seem to be going fast through London.
All i can say is make sure you send everything they ask for and proof that you intend to move to Canada when you get your visa.
We found it quite straight forward.
Lots of people on here gave us great info so just ask if your unsure :)

Gemini1

Star Member
Apr 4, 2011
Thanks so much for your replies! I appreciate it :)
Can I ask what he submitted as proof je would return to Canada with you? I am having trouble with what to submit.
Thanks!

essex0227

Apr 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4th August 2011
File Transfer...
12th October 2011
Med's Request
Received 17th October 2011
Med's Done....
2nd August 2011
Interview........
Waivered
Passport Req..
18th November 2011
VISA ISSUED...
6th December 2011
LANDED..........
14th June 2012
We sent a letter from my husbands work stating that he had spoke to them about moving Canada once the Visa came through, letters from friends that we had spoke to them about are plans (from canada and the uk)
Then we wrote out a plan on how we would make the move.
E.g work and webpages we had looked at, info on places we had looked at online, school, doctors addresses.
Gave a ruff date on when we would like to be there for and that we had looked at flights.
Other then that we couldnt really think on anything else to send.
Hope this helps :)

easykiwi

Star Member
Oct 5, 2011
New Zealand
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-08-2011
AOR Received.
13-12-2011
File Transfer...
08-11-2011
Med's Done....
11-08-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2012
LANDED..........
24-02-2012
My partner got sponsorship approval a couple of weeks ago, and he (Canadian) lives with me here in NZ. We wrote a letter explaining that part of our motivation was to spend more time with his sick father, and family, showed that he had registered with local teaching agencies and the teaching board, and gave a rough date as to when he intended to move back to Canada. Where they asked for proof of income he gave his pay stubs, and while they asked for Option C he wrote a note explaining that he hadn't lived in Canada for 7 years so no Canadian income and therefore no tax info. He did send a copy of his most recent tax assessment from NZ Inland revenue Department though.

Really they just want to see a commitment by the sponsor to moving to Canada, even if it's dependent on the PR applicant being approved. What they don't want is a PR applicant getting approved and the sponsor not going.

And if I'm not mistaken Essex has recently received her passport request so is almost done the process, so she's a great example to follow.