+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has anybody traveled to Canada recently with passport expiring in less than 6mth

harneet463

Apr 22, 2015
Has anybody traveled to Canada recently with passport expiring in less than 6 months from India ?
As far as I know canada does not require the 6 months validity rule for entry, were there any other issues encountered during boarding etc.

Regards,
Harneet

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Harneet,

Your visit is months before your passport expires.

Board the flight..... there won't be any problems...... don't stress about this :)

Cheers

Rupinder1308

Jun 4, 2015
Hi
There will be no problem u can enter canada even if your passport is valid for 2 month BUT certain airlines require validity of passport at least 6 month to board.

Another option is renew your passport before your trip if u can.
My uncle visit us in canada he has visa on his old passport that was still valid and use new passport for entry.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Rupinder1308 said:
There will be no problem u can enter canada even if your passport is valid for 2 month BUT certain airlines require validity of passport at least 6 month to board.
Also CBSA would give a max stay up to the date of validity of the passport.

harneet463

Apr 22, 2015
Rupinder can you please let me know till when when was his visa and old passport valid and when did be renew his old passport.

Thanks

@bryanna i am not worried about canada immigration office..but about boarding the flight as rupinder said..even I have read that airline may deny boarding so i am stressed up high level.

I can visit passport office and get the passport renewed but I want to be sure that my old visa in old passport will still be valid.
Thanks
Harneet

Reactions: DavEd

Rupinder1308

Jun 4, 2015
Hello harneet
canada multiple visa issued nov 2013 till nov 2014
Passport expiry date -first week dec 2014

He renewed his passport in July 2014 (it take around 20-21days to renew your passport and 20-21 days u will receive it at your home address)

My uncle visit us in August 2014
U have two options while renewing your passport ( that was around year ago please check for new rules if any) u can surrender your pasport that passport office will destroy on their own OR u can keep your passport with u new as well as old.
My uncle kept both passports and staples both together so that it will be easy for him as well as for officials at airport. So he got entry without any problem.

There is one more solution u can simply sumbit your new passport with old passport with valid visa and explaination letter to canadian embassy to transfer your visa to new passport. I know US embassy do that check with canadian emabssy I am sure they too do it.
When your visa and passport is expiring ?

harneet463

Apr 22, 2015
My visa and passport expire dec 2015.
I would be travelling june 18-july 19.
Just spoke to air india guys and they are fine with me boarding the plane.
Not sure if someone at london my transit point would create an issue out of it.
I can go for tatkaal passport renewal and wud get it in a couple of days.
But I am confused.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Harneet,

There will be absolutely no problems at London Heathrow. You'll be in-transit.

I would be more concerned about AI's on-time record/connection time than worrying about traveling on a passport which is valid for 5 months :)

Do ensure you have sufficient time to change from Terminal 4 (Air India) to Terminal 2 (Air Canada) if you're flying AI

Cheers :)

Rupinder1308

Jun 4, 2015
Oh your passport expires in December

No need to worry u r fine u can travel without any tension.no need to make new passport as u r going back in July.
Have a safe trip.

harneet463

Apr 22, 2015
Ok so here is the latest update.

I walked into the Air India office on saturday and they checked it on the system and as per them I am fine boarding the flight.
And since they would be issuing the boarding passes for Air Canada as well, they seemed to be confident that I should not be having any issues.

@bryanna: Thanks again for being there to sooth out the nerves.
I have around 3 hours to change the terminals and online support from Heathrow says that It should take around 1.2 hours for the same, so I guess it should be fine keeping in view the time taken to embark from plane and all stuff.
It would be tight but I should be able to pull it off.

The first thing I would be doing after I return from this trip is renew my Passport :)
Have had enough stress from it then I had from all of my previous trips together.

In case I run into any issue, which I hope i do not.
I will keep you all posted.

Now I am running to pull off routine jobs like arranging the forex, taxi to airport etc. as only 10 days are left for the trip and and I am way way behind the schedule.

Take care guys.

See you all soon.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Harneet,

Connection time between Terminal 4 and Terminal 2 will be about 1.5 hours.... so you'll have to run from the moment you disembark from the DEL-LHR flight.

It's a very long walk to the lower level where you'll take the airport bus to Terminal 2.... do follow the purple signs for Flight Connections to Terminal 2..... buses are punctual.

When you reach Terminal 2, you'll have to go through another Security Check (your cabin baggage only)..... after which you'll exit to the departure area (restaurants/shops, etc)

So please keep running.... and do ensure you reach the departure gate with about 30-40 minutes to spare

Now, please don't stress about all this when you're on the flight..... the pilot cannot fly the plane any faster LOL

Have a good trip :) :)

Wildswan

Mar 19, 2018
hello, I realize this thread is old. 2015 the last post. I need to know if I can travel to Canada this july 2018 if my passport is expiring in November 2018. I have been asking around and everyone is telling me about the 6 month validity rule and some are saying Canada is an exception but you can never tell what kind of immigration officer you get to give you a hard time. I really want to visit Canada in July. I have already applied for my new passport but they are taking forever to process it and I don't think I will get it in time.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
hello, I realize this thread is old. 2015 the last post. I need to know if I can travel to Canada this july 2018 if my passport is expiring in November 2018. I have been asking around and everyone is telling me about the 6 month validity rule and some are saying Canada is an exception but you can never tell what kind of immigration officer you get to give you a hard time. I really want to visit Canada in July. I have already applied for my new passport but they are taking forever to process it and I don't think I will get it in time.
No problems. You can travel with your current passport. You would, however, need to check with the airlines i.e. if they will allow you to board.

That said, if you don't get your new passport before you leave, the immigration officer at the POE may limit your stay to the expiry date of your current passport. You will not be a 6 months' stay

Last edited: