+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H4 visa holder trying to get study permit in canada

Dec 29, 2019
I am currently in the US in an h4 visa as a high school student. My dad is on h1b and since we moved recently we haven't gotten our green card yet. I am planning on doing college in Canada with a study permit. However, I'm afraid that I won't get a study permit since I won't be able to prove that I have ties to my home country (India). I have lived in the US with my family for the past 4 years. Will my chances of getting a study permit decrease because I don't have enough ties to my home country - India. The only ties I can think of are my grandparents live in India and we also have a house and a property there.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
I am currently in the US in an h4 visa as a high school student. My dad is on h1b and since we moved recently we haven't gotten our green card yet. I am planning on doing college in Canada with a study permit. However, I'm afraid that I won't get a study permit since I won't be able to prove that I have ties to my home country (India). I have lived in the US with my family for the past 4 years. Will my chances of getting a study permit decrease because I don't have enough ties to my home country - India. The only ties I can think of are my grandparents live in India and we also have a house and a property there.
Yes. It's going to be hard for you to get a study permit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think a study permit is possible if your parents can show strong financials and assuming you are planning on coming to Canada to study for a bachelor degree (rather than a diploma).

Your grandparents really aren't a tie to India - I wouldn't recommend listing them in your application. You can try using the house and property owned by your parents as a tie and also provide a SOP explaining what you plan to do once you complete your studies in Canada.

Dec 29, 2019
My parents are on a temporary visa - h1b. Should I explain that they will be returning to India once their h1b visa ends? Also, we own a house here in the US. I don't know if that will help since it's not in my home country.

I am sure there are a lot of h4 kids in my situation whose parents are h1b holders and are still in the process of getting a green card. Does anyone know where they pursue their higher education?

Dec 29, 2019
I think a study permit is possible if your parents can show strong financials and assuming you are planning on coming to Canada to study for a bachelor degree (rather than a diploma).

Your grandparents really aren't a tie to India - I wouldn't recommend listing them in your application. You can try using the house and property owned by your parents as a tie and also provide a SOP explaining what you plan to do once you complete your studies in Canada.
Thanks for the response. I'm going to pursue a degree over there not a diploma. Are there lots of people in my situation? I'm sure it's pretty common.
I'm really nervous about the application process since I have not applied to any colleges in India in case I fail to get a study permit. I probably have to take a gap year and re apply.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the response. I'm going to pursue a degree over there not a diploma. Are there lots of people in my situation? I'm sure it's pretty common.
I'm really nervous about the application process since I have not applied to any colleges in India in case I fail to get a study permit. I probably have to take a gap year and re apply.
I'm not sure it's that common. All you can really do is apply and hope for the best. Good luck.

Reactions: canuck78

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
May I ask why Canada? As a H4 visa holder you should qualify for in-state tuition in the US and not have to pay international fees which is probably one of the reasons why this is an uncommon move.

Dec 29, 2019
May I ask why Canada? As a H4 visa holder you should qualify for in-state tuition in the US and not have to pay international fees which is probably one of the reasons why this is an uncommon move.
If I'm on h4 visa I do qualify for in state tuition But once I turn 21 I have to switch to f1 visa. Then I'd have to get an h1b to work. I dont wanna be stuck with the same visa my dad is in. I'd rather move to another country like Canada where immigration is easier.

Reactions: pullelav

pullelav

May 17, 2020
If I'm on h4 visa I do qualify for in state tuition But once I turn 21 I have to switch to f1 visa. Then I'd have to get an h1b to work. I dont wanna be stuck with the same visa my dad is in. I'd rather move to another country like Canada where immigration is easier.
It is common situation as converting to F1 is difficult before age out (21 yrs). Even i am researching for Canada admissions and study permit.

GS77

Dec 2, 2020
Were you able to apply for this? Please let me know, will be in same situation next year

immif4t

Jan 11, 2021
Hello! I hope you did manage to get a study permit in Canada? kindly provide some insights about your process and some of the important items you did to get a study permit there!