+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B with big package moving to Canada in hope of better life

sdgmits

Nov 27, 2019
Should an H1B visa holder (i140 approved and sole breadwinner of a family of 4) leave his USD 150K salary package, and move to Canada on CAD 95k, in hope of PR and better life ahead in Canada?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Not really a question anyone else can answer for you. You need to weigh the massive drop in salary (150kUSD > ~72K USD) against all the other things that may be important to you.

I know someone who gave up a 200k+ USD salary to move to Canada and is happy (started own business, feels more free, makes even more money - but this person is somewhat of a unicorn, not your average joe), and I know people who simply cannot imagine giving up their USD salary to move to Canada.

This is deeply personal - your definition of a "better life" is entirely your own.

However, with a family of 4 to support and you're the only breadwinner... I would lean towards saying no, don't move. Not until you have a clear plan on how you would replace your current salary.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agree there are lots of considerations. Is your spouse wanting to return to work. Most Canadian families have 2 working parents out of necessity. Where would you be moving? The cost of living varies dramatically between cities. Why are you moving to Canada and what are you expecting? Given the exchange rate it is a significant difference in salary.

RIS

Sep 12, 2015
Not sure why you are posting this question? Why have you even applied to immigrate to Canada? It seems you have a pretty decent life where you are....