+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B Stamping Dropbox in Canada

JustBal

Feb 27, 2021
Hi all,
I’m Canada PR, but travel to US on AVR once each month and return same day.
In July last year 2023, I paid fees for H1B stamping and got mailing instructions email.
however, due to some reasons I did not send the documents back then.
Now, I want to send documents for stamping. I know that the fees paid is valid for 1 year. I did some travels after that to US, hence I need to create a new DS160, since I could not update old one as it’s submitted.

I still see option to update DS160, on the site I applied for stamping. It says”send documents”.
But the email I received says my old DS160 and printout of the email is one of the docs I need to send. Will it cause any issues..?

what is the best way to do this. All help appreciated.

Last edited:

saveurbuck23

Jan 19, 2024
Sharing my renewal timelines from (Toronto)

Dec 21: Application Submitted - In Virtual Waiting queue
Jan 10: Received mailing instructions
Jan 15: Sent via Canada Post -- (Postal Clerk scanned the second page which I received in "courier_in_receipt.pdf")
Jan 16: Delivered to Consulate (Canada Post tracking - delivered to mailroom)
Jan 18: Application Received
Jan 21: Issued
Jan 22: Tracking Details shared - Canada Post
Jan 25: Passport Picked from Canada Post

maverick1982

Oct 4, 2018
Canadian PR Applied for H1 Dropbox in Ottawa. Here are my details.
Jan 16- submitted visa fee and filled ds160. Placed on queue
Jan 17 received instructions. Sent documents same day
Jan 18 documents delivered to Consulate
Jan 23 application created and shows documents received
Jan 24 approved
Jan 26 Issued
Waiting for tracking information.

Last edited:

maverick1982

Oct 4, 2018
Sharing my renewal timelines from (Toronto)

Dec 21: Application Submitted - In Virtual Waiting queue
Jan 10: Received mailing instructions
Jan 15: Sent via Canada Post -- (Postal Clerk scanned the second page which I received in "courier_in_receipt.pdf")
Jan 16: Delivered to Consulate (Canada Post tracking - delivered to mailroom)
Jan 18: Application Received
Jan 21: Issued
Jan 22: Tracking Details shared - Canada Post
Jan 25: Passport Picked from Canada Post
Did you request premium delivery or regular? Thanks

canada_Sp

Jan 19, 2024
Timelines for H1b (first-time stamping) at the Toronto US Consulate
My Status: Canada PR (with visitor visa taken from Toronto US consulate with in-person interview 3 years ago). Even though its first time stamping, I had worked in US on an H1b for 1 year in the past but never stamped an H1b in my passport, moved to Canada as a PR, and started working for a new employer (applied for US B1/B2 visa). Got hired by a new employer in Nov 2023 and technically this is an H1b transfer.

19 Dec 2023 – 4 PM: Submitted the DS160 and Scheduled an appointment with the US consulate on AIS website for Canada.
Note 1: AIS website for Canada visa appointment: https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv/users/sign_in
Note 2: Once I applied, I was added to the virtual queue with a wait time of 5 weeks.
Note 3: Soon you get your H1b approval apply to AIS website, don’t wait!
No updates for 3-4 weeks (Christmas holidays and huge backlog)

10 Jan 2024: around 12:30 Request to send documents email arrived with instructions. The status on AIS website changed to “Send documents”
10 Jan 2024: Sent document around 1:50 PM via Canada Post

Note 1: I had all the necessary documents labelled and photographs taken ready to be sent waiting on the shipping label only at this time
Note 2: If you send the courier before 5 PM, generally all Canada Post send the document within 1 business day which is the next business day (11th Jan in my case)
Note 3: Documents submitted:
  • Passport old (with B1/B2 visa stamp)
  • Current passport
  • Form DS 160 Confirmation page
  • Email Instructions (pdf) printed. “GDIT/United States DoS Nonimmigrant VisaInstructions” (4 pages document)
  • 3rd page from the Courier in instructions (which clearly states at the bottom in bold “Include this page in the courier envelope that contains your required visa application documents”)
  • One 5 x 5 cm (2 x 2 inches) color photo
  • Copy of PR Card
  • Offer letter (optional not required but still sent)
  • LCA (this is not required for H1b but still sent)

11 Jan 2024 (Thursday around 12:40 PM): Documents were delivered to the consulate and received confirmation via Canada Post.

12 Jan 2024 (Friday, around 12:30 PM): The status on CEAC website (https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx) changed to “Application received”
15th Jan (Monday) was a US holiday
Note 1: The “AIS” website (where you scheduled an appointment for Toronto) will have 'send documents' as your status until your return shipping label is created. so check your visa status via your DS-160 (https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx)
Note 2: The statuses go this way on CEAC. Case created -> Case approved -> Issued

18 Jan 2024 (Thursday around 10:40 AM): Case approved

22 Jan 2024 (Around 12:30 PM): Status changed to “Issued”

23 Jan 2024 (Around 10:30 AM): Email with subject “U.S. DoS Visa system return travel document shipment notice” Label created for shipping and Passport ready for Purolator pick up

23 Jan 2024 (Around 2:30 PM): The passport was picked up by Purolator

24 Jan 2024:
Out for delivery by 8:40 AM and delivered by 12:35 PM at the door since I chose the premium delivery option instead of pick-up

Note I am not an immigration expert/attorney, this is purely my personal experience. Please reach out to your immigration lawyer for lawful advice.

maverick1982

Oct 4, 2018
Canadian PR Applied for H1 Dropbox in Ottawa. Here are my details.
Jan 16- submitted visa fee and filled ds160. Placed on queue
Jan 17 received instructions. Sent documents same day
Jan 18 documents delivered to Consulate
Jan 23 application created and shows documents received
Jan 24 approved
Jan 26 Issued
Waiting for tracking information.
Jan 30 Received email that passport was ready for pickup around noon. I had used non premium , pickup at BLS. No tracking number when it was sent. A tracking/reference number to collect the passport when it was ready for pickup

JustBal

Feb 27, 2021
Sharing my timeline:

Canadian PR, applying for new H1B stamp.
Previous visa stamp expired in 2019.

26 Jan: Docs submitted to Canada post
29 Jan: Canada post says delivered.
31 Jan: CEAC site says application received
2 Feb: CEAC site says Issued.

Reactions: swan0206

maverick1982

Oct 4, 2018
Sharing my timeline:

Canadian PR, applying for new H1B stamp.
Previous visa stamp expired in 2019.

26 Jan: Docs submitted to Canada post
29 Jan: Canada post says delivered.
31 Jan: CEAC site says application received
2 Feb: CEAC site says Issued.
Congrats. Which consulate?

rvs23

Nov 8, 2018
Hi,
I am trying to schedule a visa appointment in Canada. currently in US and also have Canadian PR. current stamping appointments are way too longer. Is there any way to get a quicker appointment?. I have valid h1 stamping till feb 29th 2024 and the next stamping is also with the same employer.