Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
I have my PR card validity till Dec 2023,so is that my PR validity or does it count from the day I did my soft landing?
You can come in just before that you still have time. The 2 out of 5 years is very misleading information that people interpret. But frankly Canada is not same as US nothing even close to it.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
This is wrong information. You can move anytime before 5 years. You will never lose PR status until its adjudicated via immigration office/officer. You can come in just few days before your 5th year anniversary.
Yes, that is true. But if you arrive after 3 years there is a high chance that you will be reported for not meeting residency obligation. Before 3 years there is no risk.

Reactions: paneka penalty

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
Yes, that is true. But if you arrive after 3 years there is a high chance that you will be reported for not meeting residency obligation. Before 3 years there is no risk.
No. Only it could happen when the person has just a few days left but if they come by personal car and explain their situation that should not be an issue.

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
No. Only it could happen when the person has just a few days left but if they come by personal car and explain their situation that should not be an issue.
Your PR status never expires so you can even come after the PR card (which is given for 5 years every time) expires but only via personal car (no commercial vehicle).

Arod

May 15, 2017
It seems to me that Hollywood has idealized living in the US a little too much for some folks around here. Some of the arguments I've read here are beyond absurd.

There is a reason why Canada ranks better than the US in all Quality of Life studies. I've met more people who came to the US and left than my fingers can count.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good country for sure, and for many immigrants coming from Third World countries it might look like Paradise. But out of the developed world, the US is probably the worst in terms of social progress. You can easily see that by looking at their high crime and suicide rates, extreme homelessness in most of their cities, polarizing political discourse and other social problems.

Not everything is Disney World and Silicon Valley.

august_leo

Star Member
Oct 8, 2021
Ottawa
This is wrong information. You can move anytime before 5 years. You will never lose PR status until its adjudicated via immigration office/officer. You can come in just few days before your 5th year anniversary.
You can come in just before that you still have time. The 2 out of 5 years is very misleading information that people interpret. But frankly Canada is not same as US nothing even close to it.
Even though you can arrive in Canada a day before the 5 years date, isn't the onus on you to explain why you did not meet the "residency obligation" and why your PR should be allowed to be renewed? Unless there are strong H&C grounds, I am not sure if PR renewal would be approved and there are very high chances that you cease to be a PR. So, to be safe, it is indeed a good idea to be in Canada for 2 years in the preceding 5 years. For a new PR, that means moving to Canada within 3 years of becoming PR. Please explain if you think rest of us misunderstood this.

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
Again this is wrong.
Even though you can arrive in Canada a day before the 5 years date, isn't the onus on you to explain why you did not meet the "residency obligation" and why your PR should be allowed to be renewed? Unless there are strong H&C grounds, I am not sure if PR renewal would be approved and there are very high chances that you cease to be a PR. So, to be safe, it is indeed a good idea to be in Canada for 2 years in the preceding 5 years. For a new PR, that means moving to Canada within 3 years of becoming PR. Please explain if you think rest of us misunderstood this.
You will not renew your PR card as soon you land assuming a day before your 5th anniversary. You will have to fulfill the 730 days requirement, so you have to stay put for 730+

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Again this is wrong.

You will not renew your PR card as soon you land assuming a day before your 5th anniversary. You will have to fulfill the 730 days requirement, so you have to stay put for 730+
Have you done this? Or was suggested to someone from an attorney or is it in the rule books? If no one has done this its difficult to interpret or assume.

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
Have you done this? Or was suggested to someone from an attorney or is it in the rule books? If no one has done this its difficult to interpret or assume.
I have done it, that's why I am saying not a hearsay.

Its up to you to take your own actions. I am not liable for your actions and also every case could be different.

Reactions: swan0206

august_leo

Star Member
Oct 8, 2021
Ottawa
Again this is wrong.

I see your point. I specifically asked IRCC about this (i.e. when do they consider the start date) two years ago and their response is that the calculation can be also be done when entering Canada. See their exact response below (the bold text was as stated in the response I received. I did not emphasize)

If you have been a permanent resident for less than five years, you must show that you will be able to meet the residency obligation within five years of the date you became a permanent resident.

Calculation

The residency obligation may be verified either when meeting an immigration officer (for example when entering Canada) or when submitting an application for a permanent resident card.

To calculate residency, the officer will use the current date (if you are in person with the officer) or the signature date on your PR card application and go back 5 years. If within that period, you were physically present in Canada for 730 days or more, you meet the residency obligation. For the purpose of this calculation, any part of a day spent in Canada is counted as one full day.

funloving

Jun 19, 2010
Category........
PNP
Passport Req..
08-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2013
LANDED..........
06-03-2014
Having a PR card and having a PR status are two different things. I have shared the facts. If you are still confused hire a competent lawyer. Talk to only good ones as there are 1000s of immigration consultants here in Canada who are not well educated in the immigration law but they still have passed the exams and are practicing. Its very different than the US.

Kan2020

Mar 4, 2020
Hello All, I have been contemplating this decision for over a year now. Not to beat a dead horse, but for people who moved to Canada from the US in the last 3-4 years, could you share your experience of settling in Canada.

Living in the US offers very tangible benefits(financial, job opportunities and so forth) while Canada offers more qualitative benefits that are harder, if not impossible to quantify. After all, it is impossible to put a price tag on one's peace of mind. Therefore some inputs folks who took the plunge would be invaluable :)

paneka penalty

Star Member
Mar 21, 2022
Hello All, I have been contemplating this decision for over a year now. Not to beat a dead horse, but for people who moved to Canada from the US in the last 3-4 years, could you share your experience of settling in Canada.

Living in the US offers very tangible benefits(financial, job opportunities and so forth) while Canada offers more qualitative benefits that are harder, if not impossible to quantify. After all, it is impossible to put a price tag on one's peace of mind. Therefore some inputs folks who took the plunge would be invaluable :)
If your US job allows remote work, then move to Canada asap otherwise search for a job in Canada and then leave US. Coming without a job to Canada might be stressful for some individuals.

Santaclause

Star Member
Jan 29, 2020
Hi All,
I recently became Canadian PR and I am working for a company in Toledo, Ohio. I want to live in Windsor, Canada and commute to Toledo for work daily or few days per week. My question is, how possible is this? And how to handle the border situation? FYI: the drive time from Windsor to my company is 1hr 15 mins.
I am very thankful for your input and insights.

august_leo

Star Member
Oct 8, 2021
Ottawa
Don’t come to Canada. Just wait your GC in the US. Salaries in Canada are very low compared to US, climate is horrible, and Canadian work culture is very different than the US, for the bad.

and I speak from experience.. trust me!
Everyone's experience is different. I moved here last year; of course, after taking a pretty big pay cut but my wife is able to work here. So, that was a consolation. There are many upsides for moving to Canada. I need not worry about visa issues, I need not bother about my kids returning safely from school, I need not bother about my ailing parent living alone back in home country (or leave from this country after 6 months of stay), I need not bother about my life getting uprooted in case of a job loss (or even loss of income in case of layoffs), I feel more welcomed here and the list goes on and on.

I feel sorry that your situation makes you question your stay here. I do not dispute the fact that salaries are lower and weather is bad. But the work culture is pretty much dependent on the company. I didn't find a major difference in the work culture, in my experience. The people are more friendlier here.

Every country is different. In our case, we truly like it here and even with GC getting cleared, we do no have any intention to go back to USA.

Note: Sorry, replied to an old comment and I hope you found what you wanted. A new post on this thread triggered an email and I just saw your post. Cheers! :)

Last edited: