+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1b extension, US GC Filing and Canadian PR - all together?

Ashu23202

Jan 3, 2018
Hi All - I am new here so plz bear with me for below:

I am in US on H1b (first 3 years of total 6 years H1b expiring this Sep 1 2018) and so is my wife (following exactly same dates as i noted above, just that she has 4 months extra on first term of h1b since she was in India for a while). We both have masters in the US. I have an MBA and my wife has a masters in design.

Seeing that my friends working at top firms are getting RFEs and H1b visa extensions denied for even the first 3 year term, we are exploring options ahead of time. We want to stay in US, and if not US then in Canada. Both are companies shall file for our GC, but not before the 5th year of our 6 year H1b. I need your help for the following questions:

1) My plan was/is to file for Canadian PR and simultaneously prepare to file my US H1B extension through my firm in April or May of 2018. Does this pose a problem in any way - trying to pursue both at the same time? does it pose a risk to my H1b visa extension in any way?
2) If my Canadian PR gets approved and my H1b extension also gets approved and i decide not to move to canada, does that impact my future canadian PR re-filing in any way?
3) What If my firm agrees to my immediate US GC filing in March 2018 - and assuming the perm process/I-140 process runs for a year till March 2019 - how does that impact my US H1b extension in Sep 2018. Can the two run in parallel without any conflicts. If during this process, i also start my Canadian PR process, does this pose a current or future risk to my US GC filing in any way? (I can also ask my wife to start the canadian PR process as a primary applicant)

Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Reactions: ash13

Vpalanimuthu

Star Member
May 12, 2017
Your us green card and Canadian pr has no relationship and can happen in parallel. Only thing is if and once you receive your pr you have to maintain residency obligation 2 years out of 5 years.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
1. No. I am on L1B in USA. My company filed my H1B and it got approved while PR application was in progress.
2. No. You might need to withdraw unused Canadian PR before re-filing if you do not meet Residency Obligation ( stay of 2 out of 5 years in Canada)
3. US H1b extension/I-140 filing etc. is no way related to Canadian PR process.

nanda.uday92

Oct 14, 2018
Hi All - I am new here so plz bear with me for below:

I am in US on H1b (first 3 years of total 6 years H1b expiring this Sep 1 2018) and so is my wife (following exactly same dates as i noted above, just that she has 4 months extra on first term of h1b since she was in India for a while). We both have masters in the US. I have an MBA and my wife has a masters in design.

Seeing that my friends working at top firms are getting RFEs and H1b visa extensions denied for even the first 3 year term, we are exploring options ahead of time. We want to stay in US, and if not US then in Canada. Both are companies shall file for our GC, but not before the 5th year of our 6 year H1b. I need your help for the following questions:

1) My plan was/is to file for Canadian PR and simultaneously prepare to file my US H1B extension through my firm in April or May of 2018. Does this pose a problem in any way - trying to pursue both at the same time? does it pose a risk to my H1b visa extension in any way?
2) If my Canadian PR gets approved and my H1b extension also gets approved and i decide not to move to canada, does that impact my future canadian PR re-filing in any way?
3) What If my firm agrees to my immediate US GC filing in March 2018 - and assuming the perm process/I-140 process runs for a year till March 2019 - how does that impact my US H1b extension in Sep 2018. Can the two run in parallel without any conflicts. If during this process, i also start my Canadian PR process, does this pose a current or future risk to my US GC filing in any way? (I can also ask my wife to start the canadian PR process as a primary applicant)

Thank you so much for your help in advance.
Hi Hope things are going well, I have some questions regarding this and will be very helpful if you can answer them. Can you please let me know if you were able to get both PR and H1 approved. Were there any issue with H1-B stamping after PR approval? If H1 gets picked in lottery, will having PR approved affect H1-B processing and approval after October. Do they ask anything specific while going for visa stamping.

I am concerned how having H1 and PR will affect processing at both countries.

Thanks

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi Hope things are going well, I have some questions regarding this and will be very helpful if you can answer them.
1. Can you please let me know if you were able to get both PR and H1 approved.
2. Were there any issue with H1-B stamping after PR approval?
3. If H1 gets picked in lottery, will having PR approved affect H1-B processing and approval after October.
4. Do they ask anything specific while going for visa stamping.
5. I am concerned how having H1 and PR will affect processing at both countries.
Thanks
1. As others mentioned, there is no issue in applying for both at the same time or one after the other.
2. No. Had 2 stampings after PR.
3. No issue.
4. Not at all except you will be asked for PR card to confirm that you are a PR.
5. What kind of concern?

nanda.uday92

Oct 14, 2018
1. As others mentioned, there is no issue in applying for both at the same time or one after the other.
2. No. Had 2 stampings after PR.
3. No issue.
4. Not at all except you will be asked for PR card to confirm that you are a PR.
5. What kind of concern?
Thanks