+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1b dropbox - Ottawa, Canada

Aro

Jul 14, 2022
Hi guys, I have an approved I140(cancelled by my previous employer after more than 3 yrs of approval). I have been in Canada for past 4 yrs (as a P.R)and my H1 expired 3.5 years ago. Now I am planning to go back to US and use my I140 to get new H1 visa done(talked to a lawyer already about it). Last visa renewal (2 yrs back)was for B1 visa here in Toronto. Am i eligible for interview waiver for H1 stamping? Also even if I am ..can i still book an appointment for interview as I am going to India for a month and can only send document after coming back(and the time frame is uncertain for the dropbox method). Thanks!

devregati

Star Member
May 16, 2022
Hi guys, I have an approved I140(cancelled by my previous employer after more than 3 yrs of approval). I have been in Canada for past 4 yrs (as a P.R)and my H1 expired 3.5 years ago. Now I am planning to go back to US and use my I140 to get new H1 visa done(talked to a lawyer already about it). Last visa renewal (2 yrs back)was for B1 visa here in Toronto. Am i eligible for interview waiver for H1 stamping? Also even if I am ..can i still book an appointment for interview as I am going to India for a month and can only send document after coming back(and the time frame is uncertain for the dropbox method). Thanks!
Once you fill out the questions at https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv/users/sign_in you will get to know if you qualify for dropbox. If you qualify, you can travel to India and drop off your passport once back to Canada. If not eligible, you can schedule an appointment in the same portal.

neha.ss

Star Member
May 27, 2022
Hello and congratulations to all those who had a successful dropbox experience.

Question: were you in USA when Dropbox was being processed? I can't wfh and I'm planning to send documents from USA to Ottowa. Anyone did the same? Please let me know. Planning to stay in USA until I receive my passport back
Are you a PR of Canada?

Tayo01

Aug 21, 2019
@Cedya refused can be a variety of reasons, request for interview/ request for fingerprints / request for a new photograph/ request for additional documents. It looks like in a few cases it automatically goes to administrative processing but it is more likely it is a request for an action from you. I believe you may get an email today or tomorrow with follow up if any action is needed from you. No need to panic, I am seeing many people being called for interview, the DOS is doing the opposite to address the backlog
I am in similar boat but based in South Africa. I was requested to come in fir interview with firm 221G after I had initially sent in documents through drop box. I got an expedited date but my dependents did not, including my 2 years old. My interview is next week and I am so anxious. Wondering why they felt I needed to come in. Can having a Canada PR visa on passport affect in anyway. I am so stressed out.

devregati

Star Member
May 16, 2022
Question for all those who used Dropbox option.

It's been 2 days since I sent my passport but the ds160 visa status page says No Status. Is this normal?
Yes its normal. Did you end up dropping off your passport while in Canada or are you physically still in the US?

Mahi_raj

Jul 16, 2021
Hi need some suggestions I have submitted the documents for drop box to Ottawa consulate but I realized that the name on AIS application is not same as DS 160 and is not matching with what I have in Passport by mistake did not include middle name in AIS application but ds 160 and others documents have correct name as per passport will there be any issue or can do something to rectify for that I have sent email to canada_contactus+ca+info+en@visaops.net no response yet

taht

Jul 12, 2022
6/28 - Dropped off documents with Canada Post in Toronto
6/30 - Delivered to Ottawa Consulate
7/7 - Application Received
7/8 - Administrative Processing
7/12 - Received email that Consulate has released documents to CPC courier

CEAC tracker still reflects the status as Administrative Processing!
Will it just be the passport w/o the stamp? I don't know! smh
Picked up my passport with visa stamped on 7/14.

chandu86

May 9, 2018
Hi everyone, I stay in Milton, Ontario. I paid for my H1B renewal and was asked to courier the passport for stamping. I have a few questions on this.
1. How do I know I should send it to Toronto or Ottawa? I selected Toronto when submitting DS160. But the courier form mentions Ottawa as well and it is confusing
2. How long is it taking to get the passport back from Toronto vs Ottawa consulate
3. I plan to go back to US on Sep 10th. I plan to send the documents on Aug 15th. Is the timeline too tight? My H1B visa stamp is valid till Aug 2023. Should I just skip sending the documents?

Thanks

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi everyone, I stay in Milton, Ontario. I paid for my H1B renewal and was asked to courier the passport for stamping. I have a few questions on this.
1. How do I know I should send it to Toronto or Ottawa? I selected Toronto when submitting DS160. But the courier form mentions Ottawa as well and it is confusing
2. How long is it taking to get the passport back from Toronto vs Ottawa consulate
3. I plan to go back to US on Sep 10th. I plan to send the documents on Aug 15th. Is the timeline too tight? My H1B visa stamp is valid till Aug 2023. Should I just skip sending the documents?

Thanks
You can skip sending the documents. The timeframe to get it stamped is varying for each individual. Its anywhere between 4-8weeks. So my suggestion would be do not take chance.

Also check with an attorney or someone in the group if you are eligible to travel outside the country once you are asked to send docs for stamping. This is a new scenario/question.

CanadianInWaiting

Feb 23, 2022
You can skip sending the documents. The timeframe to get it stamped is varying for each individual. Its anywhere between 4-8weeks. So my suggestion would be do not take chance.

Also check with an attorney or someone in the group if you are eligible to travel outside the country once you are asked to send docs for stamping. This is a new scenario/question.
I faced this situation a couple of days ago. I was told that since I have submitted the application for stamping, I can only enter the US as long as my previous visa is valid. I do have an unexpired visa which is good for another few weeks so thankfully I was permitted to go the US. This requirement is also in line with what I found out later:
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/visa-expiration-date/auto-revalidate.html