+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1 B Visa stamping in Toronto

sparkle

Feb 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think there is no criteria that he has to reside in US while he is on H1B. He can live in Canada and commute to US daily for work ? I know some people who have done that. But is that a hassle ? Ofcourse before he starts the daily commute, I guess we should get his H1 stamp first and then he should do that.

omm

Champion Member
Aug 27, 2009
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
there will be no much more problem even without stamping if you have PR card, but you need your car registration from Canada and insurance coverage for both country (Canada & USA).
but people ignore to work daily travel and cross borders when they are on PR card and on H1B. its not big issue but daily you have to cross border and spend some time @ border to answer of POE officer query.

as per Prashant query how your husband maintain H1B status , means how he get pay stubs? which address? if he dont get pay stubs in USA address than its tough to maintain H1B status, even canadian PR status too.

As far as I know your husband will need to file two tax declarations in the two countries (Canada & USA).

OMM

sparkle

Feb 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes I know it can be a hassle. But we are planning to stay very close to the border. And he doesn't work too far from border.

He needs to wait for his PR card though...right? before he re-enters Canada?

omm

Champion Member
Aug 27, 2009
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can use the NEXUS program:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html

OMM

ehdgar

Star Member
May 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-03-2011
AOR Received.
PER on April 20, 2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
May 10,2011, In Process June 3, 2011
Med's Request
June 3, 2011, PCC, RPRF
Med's Done....
july 14, 2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
August 23, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made: Sept 11, 2011, Visa received Sept. 16,2011
LANDED..........
October 15, 2011
Hi Guys!

I've been reading your posts and they are very informative! I would like to ask for your opinions on my case. We have done our medicals and now waiting for PPR. We also have an approved H1B petition for US. We are planning to do the interview schedule at the US Embassy after we receive our passports with Canada visa stamps. We are doing this because we think that anytime now, Canadian Embassy might issue PPR and if we make interview schedule for US, we wont have our passports with us.

Can you please tell me, if we are doing the right thing? And also, if we are granted the Canadian PR visa and also the H1B for US, is it possible to land to Canada first then go to the US? Are we not going to have any problems?

Your inputs are highly appreciated. Thank you and God bless to everyone!

omm

Champion Member
Aug 27, 2009
USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yes you can land to canada and go for work on h1b to USA. you must need all supporting documents for Canada when you land at canada. when you go on H1B for work to USA than have to keep all supporting documents of H1B with you, like I797 original , fill I94 , employement letter etc.
Even don't forget that PR have own rules to maintain PR status.

OMM

shekhar_a2k

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
Sep 2009
IELTS Request
Oct 2009
File Transfer...
Jan 2010
Med's Request
Sep 2010
Med's Done....
Oct 2010
Passport Req..
June 2011
VISA ISSUED...
July 2011
LANDED..........
Aug 6, 2011
I am not completely aware of the AVR rule and hence took my appointment for visa stamping at the US consulate in Toronto.
But now OMM's point has put me at concern and not sure which path to follow. My stamping date is scheduled for the 8th of Aug - hope I am doing the right thing

shekhar_a2k

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
Sep 2009
IELTS Request
Oct 2009
File Transfer...
Jan 2010
Med's Request
Sep 2010
Med's Done....
Oct 2010
Passport Req..
June 2011
VISA ISSUED...
July 2011
LANDED..........
Aug 6, 2011
taking appointment was not a big deal - lots of open dates were available, ofcourse I planned this 3 weeks in advance. I am going for stamping since like you, I too was doubtful as to if everyone would be aware of the AVR rule and if they didnt and at the same time had I did not taken the appointment for stamping for H1 ( for which you know how much of document work needs to be done) - then one would be caught in difficult situation.
sparkle said:
Hello guys,

I just came across this post. I also recently posted a new one separately regarding the same issue.

My husband is on H1B status in US. We have applied for his immigration in Canada, and we are still waiting for our PPR, which should be coming along soon.
His H1B stamp has expired but he does have a valid I-797 and valid H1B status in US. Does anyone know about the AVR rule and how familiar the border officers are with it ?
Does he need to get the stamping date for Toronto and land then, so that he is able to enter back US safely, or he can use the AVR rule and cross the border ??

shekhar, My husband is also from India. Did you use the AVR rule? Or you got a date for stamping? If you did, how long is the waiting time to get the date?

calvin123

Aug 15, 2011
shekhar_a2k said:
I am not completely aware of the AVR rule and hence took my appointment for visa stamping at the US consulate in Toronto.
But now OMM's point has put me at concern and not sure which path to follow. My stamping date is scheduled for the 8th of Aug - hope I am doing the right thing
Hello Shekhar,

Can you please share your experience with visa interview and also port of entry at Canada? I am in the same boat. I will be in Canada sometime in last week of Sept (for PR) and I have booked an appointment at US consulate for H1B visa renewal stamp. Thanks in advance.

shekhar_a2k

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
Sep 2009
IELTS Request
Oct 2009
File Transfer...
Jan 2010
Med's Request
Sep 2010
Med's Done....
Oct 2010
Passport Req..
June 2011
VISA ISSUED...
July 2011
LANDED..........
Aug 6, 2011
had no issues at visa stamping- since i am working for the same company for the past 7 yrs, the visa officer did not ask many questions. Just the basic ones as to what my role is and what do i plan to do after my H1 expires, etc.

thx
Shekhar

calvin123

Aug 15, 2011
Thanks Shekhar. What questions did they ask you when you landed in Canada for the first time (POE)? I have a question regarding the proof of funds that I have to show at POE in Canada. Is it ok if I carry my credit/debit cards and a bank statement from a US bank showing sufficient balance? Or do I have to carry travelers checks/bank draft? Please let me know how you handled this.

shekhar_a2k

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
Sep 2009
IELTS Request
Oct 2009
File Transfer...
Jan 2010
Med's Request
Sep 2010
Med's Done....
Oct 2010
Passport Req..
June 2011
VISA ISSUED...
July 2011
LANDED..........
Aug 6, 2011
calvin123 said:
Thanks Shekhar. What questions did they ask you when you landed in Canada for the first time (POE)? I have a question regarding the proof of funds that I have to show at POE in Canada. Is it ok if I carry my credit/debit cards and a bank statement from a US bank showing sufficient balance? Or do I have to carry travelers checks/bank draft? Please let me know how you handled this.
Hi Calvin,
first of all, we landed around 7:30 am in the morning at Toronto Pearson airport and there were hardly any people around in the immigration office - only one or two at the most who had come for immigration. Even most of the counters were empty.
the officer took our pp and copr document and then asked for proof of funds. for which I showed the printed bank statement which was enough. he also asked how much cash I was carrying my self. I was carrying 2k USD. thats all. Next he asked to go to another counter where we had to declare teh items that we were carrying and the goods to follow. gave the list there and we were done. Hope that helps.
Hope

canada_dream100

Jul 30, 2010
shekhar_a2k said:
had no issues at visa stamping- since i am working for the same company for the past 7 yrs, the visa officer did not ask many questions. Just the basic ones as to what my role is and what do i plan to do after my H1 expires, etc.

thx
Shekhar
shekhar,

are you direct employee of the company or working via consulting company?

thanks.

calvin123

Aug 15, 2011
shekhar_a2k said:
Hi Calvin,
first of all, we landed around 7:30 am in the morning at Toronto Pearson airport and there were hardly any people around in the immigration office - only one or two at the most who had come for immigration. Even most of the counters were empty.
the officer took our pp and copr document and then asked for proof of funds. for which I showed the printed bank statement which was enough. he also asked how much cash I was carrying my self. I was carrying 2k USD. thats all. Next he asked to go to another counter where we had to declare teh items that we were carrying and the goods to follow. gave the list there and we were done. Hope that helps.
Hope
Thanks a lot Shekhar. I appreciate it.

shekhar_a2k

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
Sep 2009
IELTS Request
Oct 2009
File Transfer...
Jan 2010
Med's Request
Sep 2010
Med's Done....
Oct 2010
Passport Req..
June 2011
VISA ISSUED...
July 2011
LANDED..........
Aug 6, 2011
canada_dream100 said:
shekhar,

are you direct employee of the company or working via consulting company?

thanks.
Yes I am a direct employee