H1 B Visa stamping in Toronto

dodan

Mar 7, 2010
usa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
in a side line, AVR cannoot be used if you have applied for visa stamping...:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegrams/telegrams_1441.html

"The amended regulation, which was published in the Federal Register on March 7, 2002 and will be effective as of April 1, will prohibit the re-entry using an automatically revalidated visa of any alien who has applied for a new visa while outside the United States."

shekhar_a2k

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
Sep 2009
IELTS Request
Oct 2009
File Transfer...
Jan 2010
Med's Request
Sep 2010
Med's Done....
Oct 2010
Passport Req..
June 2011
VISA ISSUED...
July 2011
LANDED..........
Aug 6, 2011
Dodan,
does it mean that you avoid applying for the visa interview while travelling to these neighbouring countries, but rather use the AVR route to re-enter?

dodan

Mar 7, 2010
usa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Depends.

(1) If I need to stamp new visa, then while exit, I would inform the officer about my intention and surrender my existing I-94. Once new visa stamped I will present the new visa stamp and obtain new I-94.

(2) If I am going to visit (and not in the need of new stamping) then I would request to keep my I-94 in order to use AVR.

(3) In an unfortunate case (God forbids), if someone has applied for new visa stamping and the consulate (or embassy) rejects the new visa application, then one has no other options but to go back one's home country (unless s/he can legally stay in the neighbouring country; say, Canada and has a CAN PR). Well, one should not have preserved the I-94 while exit on that attempt and then try to use it for AVR. S/he has to obtain new visa stamp in order to enter the USA.

Hope that clarifies.

danhass

Sep 21, 2010
US
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
I have a question related to this topic:

If I apply for US visa from Canada, US embassy might reject and ask me to go back to my home country to apply for the visa.

Now if I apply for US visa as a PR in Canada (as opposed to as a visitor in Canada), does it decrease my chances of rejection and condition to go back to my country of nationality?

dodan

Mar 7, 2010
usa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ danhass
Going back to one's home country, in general, is the only option for someone who is a visitor, since s/he does not want to overstay as determined by the CA visitor visa expiary.

On the other hand, a PR holder can stay for ever in CA and thus there is no reason for her/him to fly back to home country. The question is what is the reason for US Visa rejection? If it is lack of documents (or similar other reasons), then s/he can take the time and gather those and re-apply. If the rejection is due to educational credentials, or work experience then s/he may be advised to go to a consulate/the embassy in her/his home country.

What I have observed for several of my friends is - the ones who have a US or Canadian degree get approvals in Canada easily. For few, who have got degrees from Universities in her/his home country, get directed to go back there and re-apply.

If your question is - whether being a PR increases the chance of getting the US Visa stamped in Canada? Well, regretfully, I don't think so. US Consulate will determine the eligibility and how bona fide an applicant is (not judging you!), would certainly not based upon the status of the applicant in Canada.

Hope that clarifies.

shekhar_a2k

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
Sep 2009
IELTS Request
Oct 2009
File Transfer...
Jan 2010
Med's Request
Sep 2010
Med's Done....
Oct 2010
Passport Req..
June 2011
VISA ISSUED...
July 2011
LANDED..........
Aug 6, 2011
Totally agree with Dodans last point on if the user qualifies better for the US visa if he holds a Canadian PR - infact the US visa officer didnt have a 'friendly' look on her face. She also remarked, oh you want the best of both worlds !! Over all my experience was not that pleasant on my return back to the US, although it might be an isolated case :)

Shekhar

danhass

Sep 21, 2010
US
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
thanks guys,

that clarifies and answers my question ...

anu_pallavi

Jun 8, 2011
Harrisburg
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 05 2011 (CIC)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
May 05 2011 (AINP)
AOR Received.
Oct 05 2011
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
CPP-O
Med's Request
Oct 05 2011
Med's Done....
April 01 2012
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
Feb 20 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 13 2013
LANDED..........
Jun 09 2013
shekhar_a2k said:
had no issues at visa stamping- since i am working for the same company for the past 7 yrs, the visa officer did not ask many questions. Just the basic ones as to what my role is and what do i plan to do after my H1 expires, etc.

thx
Shekhar
Hello Shekar,

Can you please let me know how long US Embassy took time to send back your new H1B stamped passport???

Anu

shekhar_a2k

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
Sep 2009
IELTS Request
Oct 2009
File Transfer...
Jan 2010
Med's Request
Sep 2010
Med's Done....
Oct 2010
Passport Req..
June 2011
VISA ISSUED...
July 2011
LANDED..........
Aug 6, 2011

anu_pallavi

Jun 8, 2011
Harrisburg
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 05 2011 (CIC)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
May 05 2011 (AINP)
AOR Received.
Oct 05 2011
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
CPP-O
Med's Request
Oct 05 2011
Med's Done....
April 01 2012
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
Feb 20 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 13 2013
LANDED..........
Jun 09 2013
shekhar_a2k said:
3 biz days
Thanks for the reply Shekar... You had to go and pick it up personally or they sent you the passport??? Pls. confirm....

Anu

shekhar_a2k

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
Sep 2009
IELTS Request
Oct 2009
File Transfer...
Jan 2010
Med's Request
Sep 2010
Med's Done....
Oct 2010
Passport Req..
June 2011
VISA ISSUED...
July 2011
LANDED..........
Aug 6, 2011
Hi Anu,
You will have two options while applying for the appointment.
Option 1: to have the pp posted to your local address in Canada
Option 2: Provide the nearest DHL center where you can go and pick the passport.
I opted for the second one, and once I recieved the notification, had to just go and pick the passport from the DHL center.
Hope that helps

anu_pallavi

Jun 8, 2011
Harrisburg
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 05 2011 (CIC)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
May 05 2011 (AINP)
AOR Received.
Oct 05 2011
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
CPP-O
Med's Request
Oct 05 2011
Med's Done....
April 01 2012
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
Feb 20 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 13 2013
LANDED..........
Jun 09 2013
shekhar_a2k said:
Hi Anu,
You will have two options while applying for the appointment.
Option 1: to have the pp posted to your local address in Canada
Option 2: Provide the nearest DHL center where you can go and pick the passport.
I opted for the second one, and once I recieved the notification, had to just go and pick the passport from the DHL center.
Hope that helps
Hello Shekhar,

Sorry for late reply, I don't know somehow I missed this...... thanks for the reply and information

Anu

Ravi Shankar

Feb 21, 2012
Hi

I’m going to Toronto next month to apply for a nonimmigrant visa. Below is my background:

Education : Bachelor’s in Electrical Engineering form a US university
Job : Electrical Engineer ( 3 years experience)

I already have the Canada Visa and figured out all the documents I need to present at the US Consulate at Toronto. My interview is on Monday at 1:00 pm.

Considering my work is not under TAL(Technology Alert List), I got my degree from US and I work directly for the employer, can somebody tell me how many days I will have to wait to get the visa after the interview?

Thanks
Ravi