+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

h1 and pr

cpak

Dec 20, 2006
Hey. I have a question about H1 and PR processing

My spouse is currently living in US on OPT. Her OPT ends in July. After that she will become out of status. She is currently going through PR processing to come to Canada, in which I am sponsoring her. As well, she wants to find a US employer to sponsor her H1.

If she does find an employer to sponsor her H1, and the H1 is then filed before getting her PR, will getting her PR be impacted?

Thanks.

Ozzie

Star Member
Aug 3, 2006
USA
No she won't have any issues... I went thru the same, from OPT to H1-B, while my PR was in process no impact what so ever.

cpak

Dec 20, 2006
THanks for the response.

However, is it possible the Canadian Immigration interviewer could ask my spouse if she has other ties to US, like being sponsored H1? I am just wondering if there could be a conflict in her going through 2 sponsorship processes in parallel.

Thanks.

Ozzie

Star Member
Aug 3, 2006
USA
No it does not work out like that, When I applied for PR I was on F-1 visa, when I went for an Interview I was on H-1. Whether you are on F-1 , H-1, J-1, L-1 or M-1 (canadian immigration officer do not care) what they care of is you have to have a legal status, thats all.
Till she stay in America under a legal status they are fine with it. I don't think theres any conflict, switching from F-1 to H-1 just result in a positive attitude towards the PR application. Since it shows that that person was able to find a job in US after completing school.

Hope this helps

Ozzie

Star Member
Aug 3, 2006
USA
One more thing, god forbid your spouse have a hard time getting an employer to sponsor her H-1, she can always go back to school after her OPT expires this way she wont fall out of status, that's what I did.