+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H&C Request for Overseas Refugee Applicant

abooudimmi

Nov 25, 2014
Hi,
I am a PR of Canada for less than a year now. a Syrian citizen. I came here through express entry.

My father passed away recently and now my Mom and younger siblings (all under 22) are stuck in Saudi Arabia in legal limbo. since my father passed away, they can no longer stay in Saudi Arabia legally nor they can return to Syria because of Civil War. If they return, my brothers will be forcibly conscripted into the Syrian Army and dragged to war. we don't want that to happen. So the only solution is to bring them to Canada with my mom being the primary applicant.

I am ready to sponsor my Mom as a refugee under the private sponsorship program. The only piece that is missing is the UNHCR recognition requirement (aka Refugee Status Determination, aka RSD). We tried so hard but we couldn't get this document. UNHCR office is almost non-functional in Saudi Arabia.

Also, I tried approaching several SAH organization (mostly churches) who can sponsor refugees without this RSD. However, the quotas are a huge limitation. All SAH that I had contacted either are full or are simply saving these precious few spots for members of their own faith.

So after diving into IRCC website. I found that I can submit the refugee application and ask for exemption of this RSD under humanitarian and compassionate grounds. Do you think it can work? anyone been through a situation like this? Anyone can give me any advice?