+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H&C Humanitarian Ground with/or Without Failed refugee claim

Canadienne_91

Star Member
May 15, 2020
As for the OHIP:

You can apply for it with an Approval in Principle letter. AIP letter generally stipulates that your application has been approved on the basis of the documentation you submitted. But you still need to meet the statutory requirements stated in the Act. That is something every migrant needs to meet regardless of their immigration category or class.

If you read the OHIP eligibility requirements, you will find that applicants who received an initial approval from immigration with respect to their PR application can apply for the coverage.

My mom had a private health insurance coverage, and the wait time between AIP and her full PR was only a month so we did not bother, but if you want, you can certainly apply.

irochka832

Oct 26, 2018
Ontario
Category........
FSW
As for the OHIP:

You can apply for it with an Approval in Principle letter. AIP letter generally stipulates that your application has been approved on the basis of the documentation you submitted. But you still need to meet the statutory requirements stated in the Act. That is something every migrant needs to meet regardless of their immigration category or class.

If you read the OHIP eligibility requirements, you will find that applicants who received an initial approval from immigration with respect to their PR application can apply for the coverage.

My mom had a private health insurance coverage, and the wait time between AIP and her full PR was only a month so we did not bother, but if you want, you can certainly apply.
Thanks a lot. I had the same impression from reading the official website but was not sure because our immigration counsel said that the AIP letter is not sufficient to apply for OHIP, the landing paper is required.

cantaloupe

Star Member
Jul 25, 2014
Ontario
Thanks a lot. I had the same impression from reading the official website but was not sure because our immigration counsel said that the AIP letter is not sufficient to apply for OHIP, the landing paper is required.
I would strongly urge you to apply for OHIP coverage immediately if you have received AIP regardless of how long you think stage 2 will take or whether you have private insurance. Currently, there is a waiver of the 3-month period that you would normally need to wait out before coverage starts, due to COVID-19. This means that your coverage will be retroactive to the date of the issuance of your AIP letter once your OHIP is approved. If you wait, thinking that your COPR will arrive soon, this waiver may no longer be in place at that time. Note that because of the pandemic, Ontario is also issuing photo/signature-exempt health cards. This means that you can simply e-mail your AIP and your passport/ID and other documents that you need to provide (according to OHIP application checklist) to the ministry and get a confirmation from them. The photo-exempt card will arrive in the mail. Do mention in your email that you are applying to the OHIP Eligibility Board because the Service Ontario centre that is closest to you are not familiar with this type of immigration stage (which is true, many of the smaller Service Ontario locations have staff that do not know how to deal with less common categories of residents). You can email them at: OERC [at] ontario [dot] ca
For you as a person in the so called "APR" category, the coverage will be good for 1 year, with the possibility of renewal for another year if you don't become a permanent resident by then. Good luck!

Canadienne_91

Star Member
May 15, 2020
I would strongly urge you to apply for OHIP coverage immediately if you have received AIP regardless of how long you think stage 2 will take or whether you have private insurance. Currently, there is a waiver of the 3-month period that you would normally need to wait out before coverage starts, due to COVID-19. This means that your coverage will be retroactive to the date of the issuance of your AIP letter once your OHIP is approved. If you wait, thinking that your COPR will arrive soon, this waiver may no longer be in place at that time. Note that because of the pandemic, Ontario is also issuing photo/signature-exempt health cards. This means that you can simply e-mail your AIP and your passport/ID and other documents that you need to provide (according to OHIP application checklist) to the ministry and get a confirmation from them. The photo-exempt card will arrive in the mail. Do mention in your email that you are applying to the OHIP Eligibility Board because the Service Ontario centre that is closest to you are not familiar with this type of immigration stage (which is true, many of the smaller Service Ontario locations have staff that do not know how to deal with less common categories of residents). You can email them at: OERC [at] ontario [dot] ca
For you as a person in the so called "APR" category, the coverage will be good for 1 year, with the possibility of renewal for another year if you don't become a permanent resident by then. Good luck!
Well! there you go. Seems like @cantaloupe just described the entire process for you which I would be right to say is far more in depth than anything I could offer.

Reactions: naomi20

irochka832

Oct 26, 2018
Ontario
Category........
FSW
I was hesitant that applying before the landing paper was issued might interfere the stage 2 process in any way.

imadeddin

Jul 5, 2016
Writing on behalf of my friend!

Hi guys

He has applied for HC for a year now and he got a letter today saying a representitive has approved his excepmtion to the process stages and they will review the application requirements including security and medical and others.

What does that mean? Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks

Reactions: bushra1122

Growing pains

Apr 3, 2020
Writing on behalf of my friend!

Hi guys

He has applied for HC for a year now and he got a letter today saying a representitive has approved his excepmtion to the process stages and they will review the application requirements including security and medical and others.

What does that mean? Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks
It means his first stage has been approved which is the hardest part of this application.The application will move quickly from here.He will then be asked to conduct both Biometrics and medicals for stage two to be approved.he can now apply for OHIP.congrats to him