+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H&C Application as alternative to Sponsorship of Parents

Aug 6, 2015
This is far from a guarantee even if a parent is widowed. Not getting selected for PGP is why things like a supervisa exists. Canada has provided options for parents wanting to spend an extended time with their children while understanding that Canada can not absorb all the parents who would like to move to Canada as a PR. Canada has been pretty flexible about granting extensions during covid. That is not a reason for granting H&C. If he is refused H&C that could create problems getting a supervisa or TRV so you should decide if you are willing to take the risk.

https://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/decisions/en/item/421303/index.do
https://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/fc-cf/decisions/en/item/421303/index.do
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I have few doubts about the Super Visa application after getting H & C rejected. Officer might be reluctant to approve since he knows the intention to live permanently in Canada. I have gone through this decision and feel my case is bit stronger than this one.

- My Two boys are of 3 and 8 age group and very much attached to their grandpa. In fact the little one is just like his shadow.
- India's condition is very well know to everyone these days. Its running short of COVID-19 treatment.
-My father being 81 can catch this virus and there is nobody to look after him in India.
-He is hard of hearing and emotionally attached to me and my family.
-He is also a pensioner like the gentleman in this court decision ( Negative point )
-I am not able to get him super visa since I don't qualify income wise and I believe his you have Super Visa already, it's very difficult to get H & C approved.
-He lived in Canada since May 2017 and living continuously for 2 years.
-I have one real sister in Australia but in Indian culture, parents live with boy and he has always been living with me.
-He has established his ties to Canada as he runs a Yoga camp, give spiritual healing to senior people, teach astrology to kids of my friends. He volunteers in the Hindu Temple as well.
-He has history of surgeries where I have to travel all the way from Canada to India as there was nobody to look after him.

After looking at this facts, please advice if his case is H & C worthy or not.

-Amit

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I have few doubts about the Super Visa application after getting H & C rejected. Officer might be reluctant to approve since he knows the intention to live permanently in Canada. I have gone through this decision and feel my case is bit stronger than this one.

- My Two boys are of 3 and 8 age group and very much attached to their grandpa. In fact the little one is just like his shadow.
- India's condition is very well know to everyone these days. Its running short of COVID-19 treatment.
-My father being 81 can catch this virus and there is nobody to look after him in India.
-He is also a pensioner like the gentleman in this court decision ( Negative point )
-I am not able to get him super visa since I don't qualify income wise and I believe his you have Super Visa already, it's very difficult to get H & C approved.
-I have one real sister in Australia but in Indian culture, parents live with boy and he has always been living with me.
-He has established his ties to Canada as he runs a Yoga camp, give spiritual healing to senior people, teach astrology to kids of my friends. He volunteers in the Hindu Temple as well.
-He has history of surgeries where I have to travel all the way from Canada to India as there was nobody to look after him.

-Amit
No one here can advise you if a last-ditch, inappropriate use of H&C to get a supervisa while acknowledging an intent to live in Canada is a good move. Hire a lawyer.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I will be careful about this. Wouldn't running a Yoga camp be a job or a business or running a non-profit? I hope no one pay anything and he is taking up all the cost of the camp.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018

-Amit
Hi there,

H&Cs are unpredictable things and what you need is a reputable lawyer with a track record for this specific type of application. The reality is that Canada offers this application type in order to provide relief for people who may otherwise be inadmissible so there's no shame in applying for something that is offered.

You can look at the considerations that the decision-makers entertain here: https://overseastudent.ca/migratetocanada/IMMGuide/CICManual/ip/ip05-eng.pdf

Not every country publishes their internal manuals so this is a very good resource even though it's daunting for anyone not exposed to the finer points of immigration policy, and their more salient points of concern.

In a nutshell, the requirement to make your case is the responsibility of the applicant, so a well articulated submission of information and documents addressing these principle points is the soul of a successful application. The decision is discretionary and not statutory so the officer needs to be convinced by your submissions. Experienced counsel should help you to decide whether or not you should even proceed down this road.

Will a negative decision have an impact on future TRV applications? Maybe. Will your father be permitted to remain in Canada while the process works its long journey to get before a decision maker? Maybe not, but they'll still make a decision even if he's no longer in Canada.

I don't have any recent experience in the ever changing, swirling world of immigration policies and legislation but the principles of H&C usually expand rather than contract. You get what you pay for when it comes to representation so if you are moving forward then shell out for a really experienced law firm that specializes in immigration law and can cite their H&C successes.

Having an undecided H&C application for a loved one is a stress inducing experience so prep yourself by expecting a negative decision and preparing for an alternative to him being in Canada should that happen - save resources, talk to your sibling abroad, or whomever may have to pick up the ball should it fail. If it then succeeds, buy yourself something nice for being a loving child.

Good luck with whatever may come

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

-Amit
The situation in India is not a permanent situation so arguing that covid is the reason your father needs to remain in Canada is likely not a great argument but I am not your writing your H&C application. In terms of grandchildren being fond of their grandparents I think that is the case in most families. The Indian cultural norms of having to live with the elder son is not really a great argument since we live in Canada not India. He has also been visiting Canada for 2 years as is perfectly allowed and many parents are able to visit for extended periods. One of the H&C factors will be his ability to financially support himself or for you to financially support him without government support. If you have not been able to qualify for LICO that will likely be one of the issues that will come up in any H&C application. You obviously intend to go ahead with the H&C application and that is your prerogative but I would suggest you use the help of a good lawyer and you also make plans of what will happen if he is denied. In general you should be considering how your application is different than all the other parents visiting their children and how your father's case has humanitarian an compassionate reasons that makes him eligible to get PR via H&C versus everyone else working hard to meet LICO and applying numerous times to the PGP program.

Would add that it appears as if your father is working illegally. He can't operate a yoga camp, teach astrology or give spiritual healing. He can volunteer at the temple as long as he isn't doing something that a paid employee could do.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I will be careful about this. Wouldn't running a Yoga camp be a job or a business or running a non-profit? I hope no one pay anything and he is taking up all the cost of the camp.
Even if n one is paying it would still be considered illegal work because others are offering this as a paid service.

Reactions: YVR123
Dec 7, 2021
Hello guys,
for those who face problems in meeting the requirements of the Sponsorship of Parents program or just simply are tired of waiting out the years of possessing times, you may consider the application for permanent residence from within Canada on humanitarian and compassionate grounds (H&C) for your parents instead. (Your parent should be in Canada on the time of application)
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5291ETOC.asp

I can definitely say – it works. We filed the application to sponsor our Mother back in May 2010 and after 4 years of waiting our application was refused due to the error in calculation of our income with no right to appeal....

But we did not give up and next month we filed another application for our Mother based on humanitarian and compassionate grounds (H&C) and we've won!

It looks like our timeline is one of the fastest for the H&R applications posted as it took the CIC just 11 months to finalize it. :)

Here it is:
Application sent on March 24 2014
AIP (1st stage approval) July 31 2014
Medicals and Police certificate request December 9 2014
Decision Made February 18 2015
Landing interview February 24 2015

It has taken exactly 11 months! Our Mom is a Permanent Resident now and we can finally relax. :) :)
Thank you for the hint Suin,

Please specify after indicating with a check mark in the sponsorship application for H&C should I fill and attach IMM5283 form