VISA ISSUED...
Visa Rejected on 01-08-2013
Hi Guys,

Your guidance is required .

My profile is
Matriculation in 2003 with 60.2%
Higher Secondary in 2006 with 55.2%
B.tech (ECE) in 2010 with 60.86%
2.5 yrs of work experience in Telecom line (July'2010 up to Dec'2012)
IELTS score Overall 6.5 (L-7.5, R-6.5, S-5.5, W-5.5)

I am from India & I want to study in Canada (Toronto area) for atleast 1 or 2 years. I know to be qualified for PG level course, i need to obtain overall 6.5 bands in IELTS with no less than 6 in any module. I had given IELTS twice in a row but, i didn't got 6 in each. Now College accepting this score and providing pg level courses are very few, those who are accepting are very far from Toronto for ex. Flehming College.

Kindly tell me, Is there any chance, that i could secure an admission in any of the colleges in Toronto area??. Many of my friends are saying that i should go for a UG level or diploma program. But somewhere in my mind, i have a fear of VISA refusal. On the other hand there are some friends of mine who have the same profile. They got visa. So kindly guide me.

Is it ok to apply for UG or diploma program , Is there any chances of visa refusal ??
Secondly if i get admission in fleming college, can i change my college after reaching canada?? Do other colleges accept me with this ielts score?? please help me am really confused. :( :( :( :(

Regards,
Amandeep Singh

sandhuboy

Aug 26, 2012
Chandigarh
Category........
Visa Office......
CHANDIGARH
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2013
Doc's Request.
16-04-2013
Med's Request
Waived
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
08/05/2013
LANDED..........
wahaguru manu v DATE pan da moka da..
go for masters. Bhra

tigersingh

Star Member
Jan 20, 2013
INDIA
File Transfer...
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
@sandhuboy,

Veer tell me what will be the requirements for Master's. Mainu lagda ni meri study di percentage match hovegi . kyunki masters lyi above 70 chaidii a .. apa tan theek thaak je e padhai kiti aa.. ;D

karthik1987

Jan 6, 2013
tigersingh said:
Hi Guys,

My profile is

I am from India & I want to study in Canada (Toronto area) for atleast 1 or 2 years. I know to be qualified for PG level course, i need to obtain overall 6.5 bands in IELTS with no less than 6 in any module. I had given IELTS twice in a row but, i didn't got 6 in each. Now College accepting this score and providing pg level courses are very few, those who are accepting are very far from Toronto for ex. Flehming College.

Kindly tell me, Is there any chance, that i could secure an admission in any of the colleges in Toronto area??. Many of my friends are saying that i should go for a UG level or diploma program. But somewhere in my mind, i have a fear of VISA refusal. On the other hand there are some friends of mine who have the same profile. They got visa. So kindly guide me.

Is it ok to apply for UG or diploma program , Is there any chances of visa refusal ??
Secondly if i get admission in fleming college, can i change my college after reaching canada?? Do other colleges accept me with this ielts score?? please help me am really confused. :( :( :( :(

Regards,
Amandeep Singh
Hi Amandeep
The only college in toronto that accept your ielts score is fleming college. Yes u can change ur college after reaching canada but you have to apply for UG program. As you have done your bachelors there might be rejection for visa if u apply for UG and Diploma program.

chaitnay7777

Star Member
Nov 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i dont know why everybody is saying do masters....studies in canada are completly different frm here in india....doing master is one hell of a task there which i dont think all students frm india can do...one of my frnd is in windsor univ...he has gone in jan 13 intake...he has also done btech in e.c.e...with 73%...he had told me masters here are extremly tough...an average or above average student cannot do it or it will be extremly hard ...which will lead to bad grades...so before going for masters do thought of yourself that can u do this much of hard studies in a forign land away frm home...so pg diplomas is far more safer option...go fr 1 or 2 yr pg diploma..settle there understand the system...and then if u feel u want to study more go fr masters...do use ur own brain before doing anything....and dont go fr simply masters..bcuz in this forum many people simply say masters without even understanding the case.....

cheers...

tigersingh

Star Member
Jan 20, 2013
INDIA
File Transfer...
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
@karthik,
Thanks bro, for the reply. While making a transition from PG to US in canada, Do i need to tell CIC for that. Because i somewhere readed that it is required if you are changin your course from Higher level to lower level.

tigersingh

Star Member
Jan 20, 2013
INDIA
File Transfer...
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
@chaitanya

Thanks buddy, i also thought in the same way. that's why i am planning to go for PG or UG . Because i knw my strengths and limits :))

karthik1987

Jan 6, 2013
chaitnay7777 said:
i dont know why everybody is saying do masters....studies in canada are completly different frm here in india....doing master is one hell of a task there which i dont think all students frm india can do...one of my frnd is in windsor univ...he has gone in jan 13 intake...he has also done btech in e.c.e...with 73%...he had told me masters here are extremly tough...an average or above average student cannot do it or it will be extremly hard ...which will lead to bad grades...so before going for masters do thought of yourself that can u do this much of hard studies in a forign land away frm home...so pg diplomas is far more safer option...go fr 1 or 2 yr pg diploma..settle there understand the system...and then if u feel u want to study more go fr masters...do use ur own brain before doing anything....and dont go fr simply masters..bcuz in this forum many people simply say masters without even understanding the case.....

cheers...
Hi,
You r absouletely true bro.....

karthik1987

Jan 6, 2013
tigersingh said:
@ karthik,
Thanks bro, for the reply. While making a transition from PG to US in canada, Do i need to tell CIC for that. Because i somewhere readed that it is required if you are changin your course from Higher level to lower level.
Ho,
You don't need to inform CIC about it.....

tiger007

Champion Member
tigersingh said:
Hi Guys,

My profile is

Regards,
Amandeep Singh

Hi,

Most Canadian universities need atleast B grade or minimum 60%-65% (depending on the university) in final 2 years of a 4 years Bachelor's degree for students from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nigeria etc. and an IELTS score of 6.5 overall (with no bands less than 6)(some top grade universities may require IELTS score of overall 7)/ equivalent score of TOEFL also accepted in most universities for being eligible to apply to Master degree programs.
You can pursue a course based master degree (M.Eng) OR a thesis based/ applied research degree MaSc. degree in Mechanical engineering or closely related fields. The research based degrees are usually much more competitive, where one generally needs to show some knack for research (like published papers) and selected students usually get partial or full funding.

Most universities DO NOT require GRE. Academic marks in Bachelor's is the single biggest criteria for admission to Canadian Engineering Master degrees. Higher the Bachelor degree scores, better it is. And with 60% marks, there is no guarantee of getting selected into a Master's program...

Here's the list of ALL recognized Canadian educational institutes eligible for OCWP+PGWP, listed according to province:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/participants.asp

To get into top grade universities, you are expected to have an excellent academic record. With 60% you may consider applying to mid level universities.

You can see general rankings of Canadian universities.. not accurate but gives you an overall idea.. as to which universities are reputed: www.4icu.org/ca/

You need to go through the university department websites, contact the university departments to know more such as course content, graduate degree options, deadlines, tuition fees, admission procedure etc. You will have to do the hard work to find the right type of programs of your desire and shortlist a list of say atleast 5-6 more universities, you may consider applying to.

The application submission date for Fall 2013 (Sept) start in most universities is already long over, and you should consider applying for 2014 Fall intake, for which usually the last date can be anywhere between Nov 1 2013 (for research based programs) to Feb 1 2014 (for course based programs).

If, you are not getting selected to a Master's program or are not interested to pursue Master's and/or wait till 2014... then you can consider doing practical hands on technical diplomas or some PG certificate course in ECE/CS/Related fields... in Canadian colleges. Although, for visa purposes, applying for a PG certificate will give you higher chances of getting visa... but pursuing diplomas will give you much wider options to choose from... You may even choose to go there and change over to diploma program, as many students having done bachelor's or even Master's from India, and then ...pursue diploma in Canada.

As per current official CIC rules:

As a post-secondary student
You may change your school, program and/or field of study without applying for a new study permit. You do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either. You may continue to use your study permit as long as it is valid.
If you are changing your level of study (e.g., bachelor's to master's), you do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either.
(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=487&t=15)
So, provided you get entry to the new course... yes... you can change over to any course in any province (outside Quebec, where you need CAQ). No problem whatsoever.

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other sources too.

tigersingh

Star Member
Jan 20, 2013
INDIA
File Transfer...
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
tiger007 said:
You may change your school, program and/or field of study without applying for a new study permit. You do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either. You may continue to use your study permit as long as it is valid.
If you are changing your level of study (e.g., bachelor's to master's), you do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either.

So, provided you get entry to the new course... yes... you can change over to any course in any province (outside Quebec, where you need CAQ). No problem whatsoever.
Hi Tiger
First of all thank you very much for this beautiful reply, you have cleared almost each and every fact. I just have one query

If i take admission in a PG level course at Flehming college (Peterborough, Ontario). After reaching there can i change my course to Diploma i.e UG level at any college in toronto without confirming CIC?

As you had written we need to confirm only if we are changing level of study i.e Bachelors to Masters . Is this applied in case Graduates to Undergraduate level.

Regards,
Amandeep Singh

tiger007

Champion Member
tigersingh said:
If i take admission in a PG level course at Flehming college (Peterborough, Ontario). After reaching there can i change my course to Diploma i.e UG level at any college in toronto without confirming CIC?

As you had written we need to confirm only if we are changing level of study i.e Bachelors to Masters . Is this applied in case Graduates to Undergraduate level.

Hi,

1. Yes you can.

As per current official CIC rules:

As a post-secondary student
(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=487&t=15)

2. Where have I written one needs to confirm if changing level i.e Bachelor's to Masters? No need to inform whatsoever. Please read the above CIC rule. In North American education system - UG/Undergraduate means - certificates, diplomas, bachelors... and Graduate means - Pg certificate/diplomas, Master's etc.

Hope it's clear!

***All opinions expressed are purely personal, and pieces of information mentioned are to the best of my knowledge... You should consult other
sources too.