+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Guidance needed - Experience Letter Queries

sachin80

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
Hi All,

I have received the ITA and have some questions around the experience letter that we need to submit post ITA. Can anyone please check and share thoughts/experiences on this one?

1) I am working on a contract position and currently working to get the experience letter. The only documentation I have from employer is the contract letter and the pay stubs. The employer does not give the letter in the required format. I don't know anyone else from whom I can get the letter. I wanted to know what could be my options in case I don't get any letter from employer/colleague. While submitting the profile, I did not include this experience. My earlier experience should be enough from points perspective. So is it ok if I don't include this contract experience? Or in case I don't get letter, should I include the contract letter, patsy's and may be share details in the LOE?

2) My spouse has a letter that she took from her colleague few years back. Is it ok if we include that letter which is dated around 2013?

3) For getting a letter from a friend working in the organization, is there a fixed format for that or any particular things which we need to keep in mind?

Thank you for your guidance on this one !

Regards,
Sachin

santhkum90

Oct 17, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-09-2017
AOR Received.
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
16-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
Hi All,

I have received the ITA and have some questions around the experience letter that we need to submit post ITA. Can anyone please check and share thoughts/experiences on this one?

1) I am working on a contract position and currently working to get the experience letter. The only documentation I have from employer is the contract letter and the pay stubs. The employer does not give the letter in the required format. I don't know anyone else from whom I can get the letter. I wanted to know what could be my options in case I don't get any letter from employer/colleague. While submitting the profile, I did not include this experience. My earlier experience should be enough from points perspective. So is it ok if I don't include this contract experience? Or in case I don't get letter, should I include the contract letter, patsy's and may be share details in the LOE?

2) My spouse has a letter that she took from her colleague few years back. Is it ok if we include that letter which is dated around 2013?

3) For getting a letter from a friend working in the organization, is there a fixed format for that or any particular things which we need to keep in mind?

Thank you for your guidance on this one !

Regards,
Sachin
1. If you have 3 years of experience in the past 10 years, excluding this, then remove it from the work history and put it in personal history. Before doing this, just check whether you still get more than 67 points in the selection factors.

2. If your spouse's experience is not in Canada, then you are not claiming any points for this. So, you can put his/her experience in his/her personal history as well. But, if you are mentioning it, then then letter from the colleague should be in the company's letter head.

3. Proof of work experience
Purpose
To prove each work experience claim and to validate that the applicant meets program requirements

Document requirements
  • The personalized document checklist in applicants’ online account prompts the applicant with an upload field for each work experience declared.
  • At the completeness check, the processing office determines only whether the required documents are included. The validity or fraudulence of the information is assessed only if and when the application is placed into processing.
The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:

• a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits; and
  • if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).
If the work experience is in Canada, proof may include copies of T4 tax information slips and notices of assessment issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (the time period for these documents should reflect the work experience timeframe [e.g., work experience from 2006 to 2008 requires only documents from those calendar years]).

Individuals who must submit this documentation
  • The principal applicant
  • Their spouse or common-law partner (if work experience in Canada is claimed)

sachin80

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
1. If you have 3 years of experience in the past 10 years, excluding this, then remove it from the work history and put it in personal history. Before doing this, just check whether you still get more than 67 points in the selection factors.

2. If your spouse's experience is not in Canada, then you are not claiming any points for this. So, you can put his/her experience in his/her personal history as well. But, if you are mentioning it, then then letter from the colleague should be in the company's letter head.

3. Proof of work experience
Purpose
To prove each work experience claim and to validate that the applicant meets program requirements

Document requirements
  • The personalized document checklist in applicants’ online account prompts the applicant with an upload field for each work experience declared.
  • At the completeness check, the processing office determines only whether the required documents are included. The validity or fraudulence of the information is assessed only if and when the application is placed into processing.
The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:

• a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits; and
  • if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).
If the work experience is in Canada, proof may include copies of T4 tax information slips and notices of assessment issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (the time period for these documents should reflect the work experience timeframe [e.g., work experience from 2006 to 2008 requires only documents from those calendar years]).

Individuals who must submit this documentation
  • The principal applicant
  • Their spouse or common-law partner (if work experience in Canada is claimed)

Thanks a ton for this detailed explanation !!
I think if we can't get letter from company we can also get from a colleague with whom we worked and who is currently with the organization. Is there a standard template which we can follow to get this letter?
I will try and see if I can get it from any friend.

Also I have received a letter from my old employer Infosys but it includes generic details like designation, start/end date, roles and responsibilities and mentions that I was a full time employee. It does not cover salary, working hours. Would that be fine?

Last edited:

santhkum90

Oct 17, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-09-2017
AOR Received.
15-09-2017
Passport Req..
16-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
25-10-2017
LANDED..........
28-03-2018
Thanks a ton for this detailed explanation !!
I think if we can't get letter from company we can also get from a colleague with whom we worked and who is currently with the organization. Is there a standard template which we can follow to get this letter?
I will try and see if I can get it from any friend.

Also I have received a letter from my old employer Infosys but it includes generic details like designation, start/end date, roles and responsibilities and mentions that I was a full time employee. It does not cover salary, working hours. Would that be fine?
If you can get it in the company's letter head, then from your colleague is fine. There is no standard format, it just have to mention all the required details.
Regarding your Infosys letter, it is fine if it mentions "full-time" instead of working hours. For salary, you can provide Pay slips along with this letter. That should be okay.

maryfah

May 23, 2018
"If you can get it in the company's letter head, then from your colleague is fine". Will we be mentioning the name of the immediate supervisor in this case? As i plan to get it from my colleague for my current company.