+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Guarantor's signature for passport applicatoin

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
My citizenship in now in process and hopefully, I will be able to get that by end of this summer (hopefully). Can I ask my guarantor to sign and date the part of application form and photograph now and use them to apply later once I am granted with Canadian citizenship.

Note, I am aware that my photographs must not taken 6 months before the application. In my case, I am assuming that I will apply passport within 6 months from the date photograph is taken.

Last edited:

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
My citizenship in now in process and hopefully, I will be able to get that by end of this summer (hopefully). Can I ask my guarantor to sign and date the part of application form and photograph now and use them to apply later once I am granted with Canadian citizenship.

Note, I am aware that my photographs must not taken 6 months before the application. In my case, I am assuming that I will apply passport within 6 months from the date photograph is taken.
Its great to be optimistic. But is there any reason why you do not want to wait until you get an oath date?

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
Its great to be optimistic. But is there any reason why you do not want to wait until you get an oath date?
In the current city, I do not have anyone who I know for 2 or more years. We moved to this city last year, after living for more than 8 years in the other city, which is ~10 hrs drive. A friend of mine visited us on the long weekend and I asked him to sign our application and photos. You can call me optimistic, but its a great way to avoid driving.

P.S: My manager, colleagues at work, all are willing to sign my application but we do not know each other for more than 2 year. Same with my wife as well, she has several people willing to sign at her work, but ...

Last edited:

GrantM

Jul 4, 2014
South Africa
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2014
Nomination.....
28-10-2014
AOR Received.
19-11-2014
Med's Request
14-01-2015
Med's Done....
09-02-2015
Passport Req..
04-03-2015
VISA ISSUED...
13-03-2015
In the current city, I do not have anyone who I know for 2 or more years. We moved to this city last year, after living for more than 8 years in the other city, which is ~10 hrs drive. A friend of mine visited us on the long weekend and I asked him to sign our application and photos. You can call me optimistic, but its a great way to avoid driving.

P.S: My manager, colleagues at work, all are willing to sign my application but we do not know each other for more than 2 year. Same with my wife as well, she has several people willing to sign at her work, but ...
You could always mail/courier the items instead of driving all the way there.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
The answer is no. That person signs a declaration saying that you are a Canadian citizen, which is obviously not the case prior to the oath.

Can you still do something that you shouldn't do? Well, that one is up to you and your guarantor.

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
The answer is no. That person signs a declaration saying that you are a Canadian citizen, which is obviously not the case prior to the oath.

Can you still do something that you shouldn't do? Well, that one is up to you and your guarantor.
You brought a very good point.

My understanding is that, a guarantor is the one who can confirm the identity of the applicant (based on the bio of the applicant such as name, mother's name , date of birth, address and other contact detail) as well as his/her appearance (true likeness). To be honest, I asked my friend to sign based on my understanding (actually he drove to our city to sign my son's passport application, and at the same time I asked him to sign ours to avoid driving). However, immigration status is also kind of identify, in a loose sense, which a guarantor cannot confirm at this moment. Anyway, I will take the application that my friend signed and will disclose this fact when applying passport (if time permits). If they do not accept, I will find some other options.

Last edited:

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
You brought a very good point.

My understanding is that, a guarantor is the one who can confirm the identity of the applicant (based on the bio of the applicant such as name, mother's name , date of birth, address and other contact detail) as well as his/her appearance (true likeness). To be honest, I asked my friend to sign based on my understanding (actually he drove to our city to sign my son's passport application, and at the same time I asked him to sign ours to avoid driving). However, immigration status is also kind of identify, in a loose sense, which a guarantor cannot confirm at this moment. Anyway, I will take the application that my friend signed and will disclose this fact when applying passport (if time permits). If they do not accept, I will find some other options.
I would wait for the Oath date before signing any forms. You can mail in the form and photos and get it signed.
By the way I do not think even my closest friend would know my mother's maiden name. :)
I think it is a general guideline they won't be asked to confirm any of your details.

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
I would wait for the Oath date before signing any forms. You can mail in the form and photos and get it signed.
By the way I do not think even my closest friend would know my mother's maiden name. :)
I think it is a general guideline they won't be asked to confirm any of your details.
Agree with you.

As mentioned, my friend signed it just in case if there is anything soon. In anycase, he was signing my son's application. I'll take chance, if I get any, with the signed application that I have, if I am granted citizenship in ~6 months from now. If that does not work, I will ask him to visit us to sign the application.

By the way, my friend knows a lot about us, not only my mother's madian name but also my grand-mother's madian name as well as my wife's grand-mother. My friend, his wife, I and my wife grew up in the same town, went to same school, university as well as same university in Canada :) and known each other for last 30+ years :)

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
Agree with you.

As mentioned, my friend signed it just in case if there is anything soon. In anycase, he was signing my son's application. I'll take chance, if I get any, with the signed application that I have, if I am granted citizenship in ~6 months from now. If that does not work, I will ask him to visit us to sign the application.

By the way, my friend knows a lot about us, not only my mother's madian name but also my grand-mother's madian name as well as my wife's grand-mother. My friend, his wife, I and my wife grew up in the same town, went to same school, university as well as same university in Canada :) and known each other for last 30+ years :)
You got great friends. Keep them close. :)

Reactions: PhdStream