+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Guaranteed Investment Certificate from Morocco for SDS

tryinalearn

Oct 3, 2019
Hi,
I applied for a college diploma program in Canada early August and got the acceptation mail in end of this September, which is clearly not enough time to get a study permit (Normal processing times are 12 weeks without biometric info or bureaucratic exchange) since the study program starts in January. So i wanted to opt for the student direct stream since it opened for Morocco last month, but the issue i'm running into regarding the Guaranteed investment certificate is all the Canadian Banks don't even offer GICs for Morocco and Moroccan Banks have no idea what it is, i even called the canadian embassy which redirected me to the visa center and they still didn't even know what it is. The only bank that offers GICs for Moroccans is ICICI Bank but i'm really skeptical about it, and also i don't even think people can wire transfer 10.000cad$ to another country just like that here.
Is there anything i'm missing here ? Is anyone in the same situation as me ? how can it say on the Canada.ca website that SDS is available for Morocco when most Canadian Banks don't even offer GIC programs for us ?

Will Fishier

Oct 3, 2019
Last time I checked, the SDS program guaranteed a 20 working day processing time (not includes biometics). So you should be ok at this point. If you think you are not going to make it, you can contact your institution and request a deferral. The purpose of CAD$10,000 GIC is to make sure you will have money to cover your living costs for the first year. You will be able to start to withdraw the money once you come to Canada. As long as IRCC approves, I don't think there should be concerns about the bank.

Reactions: tryinalearn

ismailel

Star Member
Dec 29, 2018
Agadir, Morocco
Hi,

I recently got my GIC done with ICICI bank, from Morocco, here is my timeline:

- Sept 16: visited my local bank branch, and made a wire transfer request with the branch manager.
- Sept 20: the transfer was initiated and the funds got debited from my balance.
- Oct 2: I got the notification email of the funds having arrived to my account, and printed the investment balance confirmation.

Make sure to take your LOA and your passport when you go to your bank, they will need proof that you're transferring money to your student account. I've had all the documents on my MBP so I just emailed the manager whatever document he requested and he printed them out.

It is important that you also take the wire transfer instructions letter from ICICI, if possible make a french translation. And emphasize that the manager must include this document in your wire transfer file (the request goes from your local branch to the central banking facility in Casablanca, where the money gets wired to ICICI Canada). That document contains SWIFT field values that are important to be filled exactly as per the instructions.

ICICI are quick overall in the process. They return emails in 2 working days and they also respond on Twitter. If you choose to phone them, you can use 2ndline on Android for free phone calls.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have. Honestly I thought I wouldn't be able to get my GIC done with Attijari, they're very slow people lol.

Last edited:

tryinalearn

Oct 3, 2019
Hi,

I recently got my GIC done with ICICI bank, from Morocco, here is my timeline:

- Sept 16: visited my local bank branch, and made a wire transfer request with the branch manager.
- Sept 20: the transfer was initiated and the funds got debited from my balance.
- Oct 2: I got the notification email of the funds having arrived to my account, and printed the investment balance confirmation.

Make sure to take your LOA and your passport when you go to your bank, they will need proof that you're transferring money to your student account. I've had all the documents on my MBP so I just emailed the manager whatever document he requested and he printed them out.

It is important that you also take the wire transfer instructions letter from ICICI, if possible make a french translation. And emphasize that the manager must include this document in your wire transfer file (the request goes from your local branch to the central banking facility in Casablanca, where the money gets wired to ICICI Canada). That document contains SWIFT field values that are important to be filled exactly as per the instructions.

ICICI are quick overall in the process. They return emails in 2 working days and they also respond on Twitter. If you choose to phone them, you can use 2ndline on Android for free phone calls.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have. Honestly I thought I wouldn't be able to get my GIC done with Attijari, they're very slow people lol.
Thanks a lot for your response it's very helpful, i thought i was the only one in this situation.

Regarding the wire transfer, did you transfer the amount in Moroccan dirhams or in Canadian dollars ? i'm asking this because in my Bank (Chaabi) they said it's impossible to wire transfer in foreign Currency because of regulations but when i mailed ICICI Bank they said the wire transfer must be in Canadian dollars so i'm confused.

Also, since it's my mother's account i'm going to send from, will it be an issue ? should i open a new account for myself, transfer the money to the newest account, then do the wire transfer to ICICI ?

Last edited:

ismailel

Star Member
Dec 29, 2018
Agadir, Morocco
No problem. Happy to help.

You're going to need to send at least $10,175 CAD. You need to talk to the bank manager, skip the clerks and staff. Banks do offer foreign currency exchange services.

The money has to come from an account with your name, so they'll likely reject any funds sent from your parents account.

Quoting some relevant information from their instructions letter:

Important information to ensure a successful wire transfer:
- These funds must be wire transferred from a bank where you hold an account solely in your name or jointly with your parent(s).
- Funds will only be accepted if the name of the remitter and receiver matches.

hamza1995

Dec 28, 2019
Hi
i am planning to apply Via SDS for canada too, and I would like to ask if i got my GIC from ICICI bank ad also i paid for my first year tuition from Morocco for a study program of 2 years, is it important to pove that i have the money for the second year? if Yes in which part i have to mention my bank statments? is it with the explanation letter or GIC confirmation!!
Thank you

ismailel

Star Member
Dec 29, 2018
Agadir, Morocco
Hi
I would like to ask if i got my GIC from ICICI bank ad also i paid for my first year tuition from Morocco for a study program of 2 years, is it important to pove that i have the money for the second year? if Yes in which part i have to mention my bank statments? is it with the explanation letter ot GIC confirmation!!
Thank you
Hello,
No, you only have to prove you're able to finance your studies and living expenses for the first one year. You can however attach your bank statements although not necessary but it helps your application, in the client information form.
Make sure you pass the other SDS requirements to qualify for faster processing. Good luck!

Reactions: hamza1995

hamza1995

Dec 28, 2019
Hello,
No, you only have to prove you're able to finance your studies and living expenses for the first one year. You can however attach your bank statements although not necessary but it helps your application, in the client information form.
Make sure you pass the other SDS requirements to qualify for faster processing. Good luck!
Thank you

I already paid for the tuition concering my first year and i just paid for the GIC as well, and i was wonderning if i need to prove the other year. thank you once again brother i hope that will go well with this SDS

ismailel

Star Member
Dec 29, 2018
Agadir, Morocco
Thank you

I already paid for the tuition concering my first year and i just paid for the GIC as well, and i was wonderning if i need to prove the other year. thank you once again brother i hope that will go well with this SDS
No that's not needed. You can add the bank statements to your client information bundle file, and mention in the SOP that you'll be able to cover the last year financially.
For SDS, the process is actually smoother and it involves some delays. Make sure you attach all your transcripts/diplomas and mark-sheets and also the police certificate + criminal records extract from the court.
If you need anything let us know.

hamza1995

Dec 28, 2019
No that's not needed. You can add the bank statements to your client information bundle file, and mention in the SOP that you'll be able to cover the last year financially.
For SDS, the process is actually smoother and it involves some delays. Make sure you attach all your transcripts/diplomas and mark-sheets and also the police certificate + criminal records extract from the court.
If you need anything let us know.
Thank you so much ismail

In fact i have a question: iw ill study in Newfoundland and labrador province, so the main language is english, but i was wondering is it possible to applly in french language because of some documets (bank statments..) that re in french , so is it possible to apply in french langauage but in the statment of purpose i wrote my letter in english ? is that okay or i have to translate

and for the criminal record or the police certificate is it important n because i think there is no bundle file for it! unless you mentioned in first that you have done something wrong!

Regards

ismailel

Star Member
Dec 29, 2018
Agadir, Morocco
Thank you so much ismail

In fact i have a question: iw ill study in Newfoundland and labrador province, so the main language is english, but i was wondering is it possible to applly in french language because of some documets (bank statments..) that re in french , so is it possible to apply in french langauage but in the statment of purpose i wrote my letter in english ? is that okay or i have to translate

and for the criminal record or the police certificate is it important n because i think there is no bundle file for it! unless you mentioned in first that you have done something wrong!

Regards
You're welcome!

Any document that is issued in french or english doesn't require translation. You can write your SOP in english like we all did and choose english as your primary application language.

In the client information form, you will upload all the documents that are required by your visa office and which don't have a field in the application forms table. You will merge all the documents into a single PDF file.

Even if your answers to the background information were all negative, both the criminal records extract and the police certificate remain required as per Rabat VAC's instructions:
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5846E.pdf

The extract can be applied for online, the certificate requires you visit your local police department.

hamza1995

Dec 28, 2019
You're welcome!

Any document that is issued in french or english doesn't require translation. You can write your SOP in english like we all did and choose english as your primary application language.

In the client information form, you will upload all the documents that are required by your visa office and which don't have a field in the application forms table. You will merge all the documents into a single PDF file.

Even if your answers to the background information were all negative, both the criminal records extract and the police certificate remain required as per Rabat VAC's instructions:
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5846E.pdf

The extract can be applied for online, the certificate requires you visit your local police department.
Awesome! my father did pay for my tuition and also for my GIC as a donation , and the second year i will prove that i can finance myself because i have my own money ( with proofs). for my father is it enough that he provides me with the act of donation as well as the work ceritifcate knowing that he did already paid for my first year or i will need anything else?

Thank you so much for your time, i really appreciate it

ismailel

Star Member
Dec 29, 2018
Agadir, Morocco
It doesn't matter who paid your tuition or GIC, all they want is the tuition payment receipt and the GIC IBC document. Did you get your GIC approved yet? if so, you'll have received a download link to download your IBC (investment balance certificate).

Do not write too much on the finances part, you can separate your SOP parts with headlines (eduction, future plans, financing etc) and write a short snippet about using your own money in the future. I did attach payment documents from my bank to prove my work experience (I work as a freelancer), in your case although there is nothing to prove, it wouldn't hurt to attach your bank statement.

I advise you to focus on the other strong parts instead since you have this one secured. Example proving strong ties with the country, and your future plans (i.e proving you'll leave Canada at the end of your studies).

N.P. best of luck!

hamza1995

Dec 28, 2019
It doesn't matter who paid your tuition or GIC, all they want is the tuition payment receipt and the GIC IBC document. Did you get your GIC approved yet? if so, you'll have received a download link to download your IBC (investment balance certificate).

Do not write too much on the finances part, you can separate your SOP parts with headlines (eduction, future plans, financing etc) and write a short snippet about using your own money in the future. I did attach payment documents from my bank to prove my work experience (I work as a freelancer), in your case although there is nothing to prove, it wouldn't hurt to attach your bank statement.

I advise you to focus on the other strong parts instead since you have this one secured. Example proving strong ties with the country, and your future plans (i.e proving you'll leave Canada at the end of your studies).

N.P. best of luck!
Yes i get it brother. if you would like to provide me with your email or Whatsap to see my SOP , you may have some remaks i will be more more than gratful.

Alah yarham lik lwalidin

ismailel

Star Member
Dec 29, 2018
Agadir, Morocco
Oh yeah sure. Please write your email here I will send you my SOP and you can reply with yours, I'll review it later. You can edit your post and remove your email later, in case you've had privacy concerns or hate spam.