+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GST/HST deadline question.

Mr_Chang

Star Member
Dec 14, 2018
So here's the thing,

I landed as a PR(with spouse) in September 2019 and due to some personal issues I've been tied up and haven't had a chance to look at my tax obligations or benefits eligibility till now.

Now I just started work on filing my 2019 tax returns and reached this link after doing some research on GST/HST credit.

This is a direct quote from the following link: As soon as you get your social insurance number, apply for benefits.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/newcomers-canada-immigrants.html#tbc

I'm just trying to understand, am I in some kind of trouble already because I did not fill up this form right away and I'm just getting to filling it almost 7 months after landing?

If this is a stupid (or repeated) question, please forgive me. These are difficult times for everyone and I hope you can find the compassion to simply point me to the correct thread and not berate me for it.

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So here's the thing,

I landed as a PR(with spouse) in September 2019 and due to some personal issues I've been tied up and haven't had a chance to look at my tax obligations or benefits eligibility till now.

Now I just started work on filing my 2019 tax returns and reached this link after doing some research on GST/HST credit.

This is a direct quote from the following link: As soon as you get your social insurance number, apply for benefits.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/newcomers-canada-immigrants.html#tbc

I'm just trying to understand, am I in some kind of trouble already because I did not fill up this form right away and I'm just getting to filling it almost 7 months after landing?

If this is a stupid (or repeated) question, please forgive me. These are difficult times for everyone and I hope you can find the compassion to simply point me to the correct thread and not berate me for it.

Thanks
You aren't in trouble for not claiming credits. Just fill it out now.