+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Green Card Holder worked and studied in Canada

Discussion in 'Canadian Finance and Taxation' started by bermuda87, Oct 9, 2018.

  1. Hi,

    I received my green card in March 2017. But, I have not relocated there completely yet as I was student (till 2 months ago) and I was working in Canada part-time as well.
    I just noticed that although I never worked in the states, I have to file a tax return. Good news is that there is a tax-treaty between Canada and US. Now I have few questions:

    - Can I file my 2017 tax return myself (using turbotax)?
    - What should I put on the forms? a foreign resident? If so, does it jeopardize my green card status?
    - I have both TFSA and RRSP accounts, should I report these as well? There are non-taxable accounts in Canada
    - I received some scholarships in Canada too (non-taxable), how to report those?

    And do you think I can handle filling it myself or I have to find a professional to do that for me?


Share This Page