+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Green card and application of Canadian PR status.

zjn

Mar 18, 2020
Hi,

I am a US green card holder, and am due to apply for my naturalization in the US. My wife is a dual citizen (US and Canada).

With the current COVID situation, and the borders closing, we don't want to take chances and my wife wants to apply for my Canadian PR.

My question is, will I still be allowed to hold on to my US green card and apply for naturalization while my application is in process in Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I am a US green card holder, and am due to apply for my naturalization in the US. My wife is a dual citizen (US and Canada).

With the current COVID situation, and the borders closing, we don't want to take chances and my wife wants to apply for my Canadian PR.

My question is, will I still be allowed to hold on to my US green card and apply for naturalization while my application is in process in Canada?
No issues for Canada. As for whether the US will care, that's really a US immigration question.

Note that to be approved for Canadian PR, you will need to provide hard evidence that you plan to relocate to Canada to live here as soon as your PR visa is approved.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Not quite sure how Covid is pushing you to apply for PR. It could take around 12 months to get PR and hopefully covid will not be an issue or less of an issue at that point. Are you actually planning on moving to Canada after getting PR? You have to provide quite a lot of proof that you will be relocating after approval.

zjn

Mar 18, 2020
Not quite sure how Covid is pushing you to apply for PR. It could take around 12 months to get PR and hopefully covid will not be an issue or less of an issue at that point. Are you actually planning on moving to Canada after getting PR? You have to provide quite a lot of proof that you will be relocating after approval.

I'm currently residing with my wife in Canada, and her whole family is here. My mother and sister are Canadians as well.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm currently residing with my wife in Canada, and her whole family is here. My mother and sister are Canadians as well.
Not sure why covid pushed you to apply for PR. The US tends to be more strict about making you choose PR or green card so you may have to make a choice.