+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GREAT NEWS : Police Clearance Certificate requirement has changed

click.trick

May 22, 2014
Chilliwack, BC
If you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four year period, you are not required to provide a police certificate. Please indicate this in the explanation box.
In the past 4 years, you took 10 trips to the United States of America (USA). Each trip lasted 3 weeks, for a total of 210 days. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide a police certificate from the USA because you did not spend 183 days or more in a row in the USA.

THIS IS COOL

cursor18

May 31, 2015
If you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four year period, you are not required to provide a police certificate. Please indicate this in the explanation box.
In the past 4 years, you took 10 trips to the United States of America (USA). Each trip lasted 3 weeks, for a total of 210 days. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide a police certificate from the USA because you did not spend 183 days or more in a row in the USA.

THIS IS COOL
But checkout their example 1 from the CIC website:

You lived in France for one year (365 days) before you became a permanent resident 3 years ago. You did not travel to France after you became a permanent resident. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France if you did not provide one with your immigration application. If you provided a police certificate from France with your immigration application, tell us this in the box provided at Question 10b.

ChocoGlad

Jan 20, 2015
"If you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four year period, you are NOT required to provide a police certificate. Please indicate this in the explanation box."

What does "Country of Origin" mean? I worked and applied for PR from Singapore but I was born in a different country. Is Singapore considered my country of origin for the purpose of the police certificate requirement? Thanks

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
"If you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four year period, you are NOT required to provide a police certificate. Please indicate this in the explanation box."

What does "Country of Origin" mean? I worked and applied for PR from Singapore but I was born in a different country. Is Singapore considered my country of origin for the purpose of the police certificate requirement? Thanks
This scenario more likely is better explained in Example 1 in the application help (see example in help about living in France for a year prior to coming to Canada). If you provided a police clearance from Singapore as part of the PR application process, such that it was submitted just before you came to Canada, AND you have not returned to Singapore since coming to Canada, Example 1 suggests (assuming you were in Singapore for either 183 days or more in a row, or you were living in Singapore for more than six months, within the FOUR years prior to making the citizenship application):
(1) you check "yes" in response to item 10.b, then
(2) list Singapore in the chart, and then
(3) in the box for explanations state that you are not providing a certificate because one was provided when getting PR​

This is probably the same approach to be taken if the country was one's country of "origin."

The explanation could be clearer. At least it is now a lot more clear than it was before the new application form and instructions . . . even if not entirely clear.

ahmed5

Sep 7, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24 - 12 - 2014
Nomination.....
PER 21 - 03 - 2015
AOR Received.
11 - 05 - 2015
IELTS Request
8 ( send with application )
Med's Request
06 - 08 - 2015
Med's Done....
11 - 08 -2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13 - 10 - 2015
VISA ISSUED...
18- 10 - 2015
LANDED..........
09 / 02 / 2016

Yes . It should be , because prior you lived there

Reactions: ChocoGlad

ChocoGlad

Jan 20, 2015
Thanks a lot, dpenabill and ahmed for the quick replies. I was thinking that since I stayed in Singapore for 7 months after providing the Singapore PCC, I may fall into the "more than 6 months" criteria but this clause/example 1 of guideline doesn't talk about 6 months at all so I should be able to skip getting a new PCC. Have a great day!

rohan.aries

Jul 10, 2014
Hi Friends, have a quick question. I was in Singapore from Nov 2011 till Feb 2016. In March 2016 i moved to Canada. Now i have to apply for citizenship, do i need Police clearance from Singapore?

sukhjitsehra

Apr 30, 2014
Hi friends,

I got PR in the year 2015 and provided Police Clearance Certificate with the application. In November 2015, I landed for the first time and went back to India (my country of origin/ by birth). Then I came back to Canada in May 2018, and stayed in Canada till now!! If I am planning to apply on Jan 01, 2022 for my citizen application. Do I need PCC again as per the below definition:

Kindly advise