+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Granted Citizenship from birth as a result of Canadian grandfather. What about my children?

flanagaj

Jan 25, 2020
So after two years of waiting, my Canadian Citizenship Certificate was delivered by the post woman. I obtained my citizenship as a result of my grandfather being a Canadian Crown Servant who fought in WWII and based in England when my father was born. I was born outside of Canada.

The Citizenship Certificate effective date is obviously from my date of birth. My daughter is now asking whether she is granted citizenship. The accompanying letter regarding children born outside Canada would indicate she does not automatically obtain citizenship. I am slightly confused as to whether this still applies given I have always been a Canadian Citizen?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So after two years of waiting, my Canadian Citizenship Certificate was delivered by the post woman. I obtained my citizenship as a result of my grandfather being a Canadian Crown Servant who fought in WWII and based in England when my father was born. I was born outside of Canada.

The Citizenship Certificate effective date is obviously from my date of birth. My daughter is now asking whether she is granted citizenship. The accompanying letter regarding children born outside Canada would indicate she does not automatically obtain citizenship. I am slightly confused as to whether this still applies given I have always been a Canadian Citizen?

Thanks
You are correct. She is not a Canadian citizen. You are a Canadian citizen from birth due to descent. However this does not extend to your children.

Reactions: snoopyta and mpsqra

flanagaj

Jan 25, 2020
You are correct. She is not a Canadian citizen. You are a Canadian citizen from birth due to descent. However this does not extend to your children.
Ok, thanks for clarifying the position. Although they are not granted it by descent, is the process for them getting it relatively straight forward, or would their application be taken solely on their merits? eg, does me being a Canadian Citizen at the time of their birth makes absolutely no difference to whether they will be granted it?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok, thanks for clarifying the position. Although they are not granted it by descent, is the process for them getting it relatively straight forward, or would their application be taken solely on their merits? eg, does me being a Canadian Citizen at the time of their birth makes absolutely no difference to whether they will be granted it?
How old are they? Older or younger than 22?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just turned 21
There's no direct path to citizenship.

Right now your child has a somewhat easier indirect path available. This would first involve you moving to Canada to live here. You would then have to submit an application to sponsor your child for permanent residency. This application would have to be recieved by IRCC before your child turns 22 (once your child turns 22, it will be too late). Once the PR application is approved and your child becomes a PR, they would need to live in Canada for 3 years to meet the requirements of citizenship and then apply for citizenship. For all of this to be feasible, you would need to be prepared to move to Canada and live here for a while (let's say 1 to 1.5 years).

Otherwise your child will need to qualify and apply for permanent residency as an adult just like anyone else (e.g. through an economic immigration program based on their own qualifications). Citizenship will be possible after becoming a PR and living in Canada for several years.