+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

grandaparents visa

Deanlumavi

Dec 10, 2018
Given that the sponsorship doesn't work in my family situation, I had the following questions:
- my parents were previously granted the grandparents visa for about 5 years, which was for the entire duration of their passport validity. They visited Canada for a year and went back home. If we wanted to apply for the same, is it a whole new process as starting from the beginning or is it a more simplified procedure?
- Also, I know one entry has to be 2 years at a time. Can you please tell me how long do they have to stay outside Canada between the 2 stays? Do they need to go back to their home country after those 2 years?

thank you so much for responding

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Given that the sponsorship doesn't work in my family situation, I had the following questions:
- my parents were previously granted the grandparents visa for about 5 years, which was for the entire duration of their passport validity. They visited Canada for a year and went back home. If we wanted to apply for the same, is it a whole new process as starting from the beginning or is it a more simplified procedure?
- Also, I know one entry has to be 2 years at a time. Can you please tell me how long do they have to stay outside Canada between the 2 stays? Do they need to go back to their home country after those 2 years?

thank you so much for responding
If you look at this old thread it seems like they will have to apply from scratch.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/how-to-renew-super-visa.526944/

Note that the first entry does not HAVE to be 2 years. My in laws went home after about 8 months. They would have to go back after the 2 years unless they applied for an extension. No guarantees if its approved or not...theoretically if you applied for continuous extensions at some point the visa officer would think they are trying to live here and deny it. Your parents cannot live here on a super visa just stay here for extended times as a visitor. (Edit: not sure if you meant do they have to go back to home country or can they go somewhere else, if that is what you meant then yes they can go wherever they are allowed to outside Canada, it doesn't HAVE to be home country)

Again there is no rule on how long they have to stay in home country between stays, you just don't want to make it look like they are living here. For regular visitor visas people say stay out as many months as you visited as a guideline but I don't think that's needed for super visa.

Deanlumavi

Dec 10, 2018
thanks. Does that mean that we could go to the US for couple days or weeks after the 2 years and come back to Canada? We can do that if there is no written rule, right?

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
thanks. Does that mean that we could go to the US for couple days or weeks after the 2 years and come back to Canada? We can do that if there is no written rule, right?
Technically yes. But a super visa (or any temporary visa) does not guarantee entry to Canada. That decision will be made by the border officer. So its possible if the officer thinks the parents are living here they can refuse them entry to Canada. That's why its a good idea to have a little longer stays outside the country or back in the home country. If it was my parents I would send them back home for a few months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is no guarantees that they will be readmitted. They must not be living in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Essentially you have to remember that a supervisa is a visitor visa. They will eventually be asked to return home. If they have a medical issue the supervisa will only pay until they are stabilized and then they are expected to return home or you will have to pay for any future medical care out of pocket.