+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Graduate assistant experience for immigration under FSW

hyunjinc

Oct 21, 2009
Hello,
I am a graduate assistant at one of the Canadian universities, and I have been working as a graduate assistant for 5 years, which is equivalent to 1 year of full time work.
I have no problem immigrating to Canada, but there is one thing that I am concerned about:

I have few months of gap between each academic year that I worked for my department, because the university didn't allow me to work as a graduate assistant sometime during the summer breaks.
Will I still be able to immigrate? I am concerned because I know that my work experience has to be 1 year of "continuous" work experience.

I already called the call center but they wouldn't help me with it.

Can somebody here help me?

thank you

googleman

Star Member
Mar 24, 2010
hyunjinc said:
Hello,
I am a graduate assistant at one of the Canadian universities, and I have been working as a graduate assistant for 5 years, which is equivalent to 1 year of full time work.
I have no problem immigrating to Canada, but there is one thing that I am concerned about:

I have few months of gap between each academic year that I worked for my department, because the university didn't allow me to work as a graduate assistant sometime during the summer breaks.
Will I still be able to immigrate? I am concerned because I know that my work experience has to be 1 year of "continuous" work experience.

I already called the call center but they wouldn't help me with it.

Can somebody here help me? The question is answered somewhere in OP.

thank you
It's OK. Go ahead and apply.

googleman

Star Member
Mar 24, 2010
hyunjinc said:
thank you very much for your reply; but are you sure though?
Yeah, you can find the answer somewhere in OP. I saw it months ago. It should be around 1500 hours in total.

hyunjinc

Oct 21, 2009
lol I read that document too! but how long of a break do they consider as a "short break"? what if it's a month of break?

googleman

Star Member
Mar 24, 2010
hyunjinc said:
lol I read that document too! but how long of a break do they consider as a "short break"? what if it's a month of break?
I think it can be even four months. Many Canadian universities run on a three term system.

hyunjinc

Oct 21, 2009
so are you saying that even a 4 months of break between each academic term is still okay for the immigration under FSW?

googleman

Star Member
Mar 24, 2010
hyunjinc said:
so are you saying that even a 4 months of break between each academic term is still okay for the immigration under FSW?
2 terms per year for 5 years is OK, and you take off a 4 mo spring term each year.

hyunjinc

Oct 21, 2009
...I looked through and all it tells me is that short break between employment is acceptable. 4 months is a short break..?