+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Govt quarantine facility

syahska

Star Member
May 13, 2016
Hi, I am unable to find reasonable accommodation within my budget. Can anyone provide details on the govt sponsored free quarantine facility.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I am unable to find reasonable accommodation within my budget. Can anyone provide details on the govt sponsored free quarantine facility.
If you are unable to pay for your quarantine this is probably not a good time to be coming to Canada. There are also Hugh unemployment rates so how will you be able to support yourself if you can’t find a job either. If you are working for a US IT company you should have savings.

syahska

Star Member
May 13, 2016
Nowhere do I mention of my inability to spend for quarantine. The challenges I see while searching is the rentals are over my budget and the number of listings either in Realtor.ca, Zolo,ca, Housesigma.ca are much lesser than earlier. I was intending to move to Ottawa initially upon landing and I see ZERO listings and this includes Airbnb. My question was not wrt unemployment, but wrt the Fed Govt Quarantine Facility. Any information on that ?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Nowhere do I mention of my inability to spend for quarantine. The challenges I see while searching is the rentals are over my budget and the number of listings either in Realtor.ca, Zolo,ca, Housesigma.ca are much lesser than earlier. I was intending to move to Ottawa initially upon landing and I see ZERO listings and this includes Airbnb. My question was not wrt unemployment, but wrt the Fed Govt Quarantine Facility. Any information on that ?
The guidance is clear if you do not have an isolation plan then you should not travel to Canada at this time given worst case you could even be refused entry to the country unless you are a citizen or a PR.

There is no government facility, you would probably be directed to a hotel block booked by the government where you would probably be confined to a room for 14 days and there is no specific statement that you may not have to pay towards this hence the preference if no plan no travel.. A decision whether you would be directed to a government booked facility would probably be based on how much effort someone had put into their isolation plan s, whethere acceptable, so arriving without anything at all and expecting the government to step up might not be a good idea

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Get it and yes, this has been helpful. Much appreciated.
Others have managed to book a hotel or AirBnB and I just looked and there is lots of availability in your timeframe. You are contradicting yourself you say you have the money to cover your quarantine period but then say things are too expensive. Having a quarantine plan is one of the travel requirements.

https://www.airbnb.ca/s/Ottawa--Canada/homes?adults=1&refinement_paths[]=/homes&checkin=2021-01-22&checkout=2021-02-05&tab_id=home_tab&source=structured_search_input_header&search_type=filter_change&place_id=ChIJrxNRX7IFzkwR7RXdMeFRaoo&room_types[]=Entire home/apt

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The point being that this story implies this person was a citizen so if someone is not a citizen or a PR then worst case they could be refused entry to Canada if they have no isolation plan or simply havent bothered to make any effort.

Of course by PR I mean an established landed PR who has a right to enter the country , as does a citizen, not someone arriving to complete an initial landing who until they have completed a landing have no rights to enter Canada. Latter of course applies to any temporary resident as well, visitors,work,students.

If were that easy to get into 'government quarantine facilities' nobody would bother arriving with a plan and have a 2 week hotel stay on the tax payer.

Reactions: YVR123