+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Government or Employment in Personal History of PR Application? ALSO Unemployment in personal history, how to anwser?

janellerush

May 15, 2023
Good day,

I have received ITA last September 19, 2023 and am filling out the PR Application.

It has exported some of my data from EE profile.
I am a public health dentist working for my city.

I am wondering whether I should keep the category for this work experience as "Employment" as it has been automatically exported OR
change it to "Government" as it is technically in the public sector?

I have read mixed reviews online.
Some claim to retain Employment category as the nature of the job is not like those of an elected member and because there is no political party involvement OR
some claim to change it to Government?

I have also read that some people attached a Letter of Explanation (LOE) as to why they categorized it in Employment rather than Government.

Thoughts? Thank you very much.

SECOND QUESTION:
I also still don't know how to answer the Personal History part regarding Unemployment.

Should I explain in the LOE every gap in employment (searching for a job, applying for license etc.)?
What are usual examples of how to fill in the "describe what you are doing" part if it is Unemployment?
As well as for the "name of the company" for unemployment?

THIRD QUESTION:

I have a permanent address outside of the city. However all of the unemployment gaps in personal history I have indicated in the city proper (because that is where I looked for jobs and all of the activities took place).
I have an apartment I am renting within the city that I stay in sometimes. Should I declare this? I have not declared this in the PNP application though. Would this be a problem?

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
If your employer is the government - your paycheck has the government info on it, then you should select government. Including an explanation is not needed because they will also ask for the position's title/role. If you say something like teacher or police office or office admin, IRCC will clearly know you are not an 'elected official'.

If you were unemployed during the review period just say you were unemployed. Not working in the past does not affect your PR application. If you say you were unemployed then there is no need to explain why unless it was for a significant period of time. Like not working for a 1yr or more while not in school or medically incapable. Stuff like that.

The application clearly asks you to declare all your addresses both current and previous. Simply list the things!