+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got two offers and don’t know what to do.

okjaber

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
Hello

long story short. I have got an offer letter from both University of Alberta (Sep 2020 intake) and University of Manitoba (Jan 2021 intake) both are master’s degree with thesis, but the specializations differ. One is construction management and the other one is structural design.

now I have two problems. 1st I asked UoA to defer my admission to (Jan 2021) they told me they will review my case and respond to me, that was one month ago and no reply ever since. Just sent a follow up email yesterday to see what is done.

2nd problem is that I don’t live in my home country. I live in another country, but I was born and lived my whole life here. My civil ID, which is also considered as a residency permit needs to be updated/ changing information (passport no. written on it) cause I renewed my passport. And due to Covid and everything being closed, my application hasn’t been processed yet.

my first choice is to attend to UoA, but! I still don’t know if they will defer my admission but I’m hopeful about it. So what happens when I apply using UoA’s offer THEN they send me a new offer cause of the deferral ?

what would happen if I applied using UoM’s offer ? How can I change the institute later ? And what happens if I applied to UoM but UoA doesn’t defer my admission ? Wouldn’t be better to apply with UoA’s current offer (Sep 2020)so I can be processed faster ? September is close.

and for the ID/ residency permit here. The problem is, I don’t wanna submit incomplete documents or submitting something and changing everything later. I think it might affect my chances into having a study permit.

sorry for the long ass post, but I am really confused, and don’t know what to do. I just wanna submit as soon as possible, time is running out!

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
The only time your residency permit is relevant is for proving you have legal status in the country you're applying from.

If you apply and then get a deferral you could cancel your study permit application and apply again later. To be honest, I doubt you can get a permit in time for September and the borders are closed anyways so you wouldn't be allowed to travel to Canada.

You can change the university on your permit at any time on the website, e.g. from UoM to UoA.

Tresh

Star Member
Jan 13, 2020
Hello

long story short. I have got an offer letter from both University of Alberta (Sep 2020 intake) and University of Manitoba (Jan 2021 intake) both are master’s degree with thesis, but the specializations differ. One is construction management and the other one is structural design.

now I have two problems. 1st I asked UoA to defer my admission to (Jan 2021) they told me they will review my case and respond to me, that was one month ago and no reply ever since. Just sent a follow up email yesterday to see what is done.

2nd problem is that I don’t live in my home country. I live in another country, but I was born and lived my whole life here. My civil ID, which is also considered as a residency permit needs to be updated/ changing information (passport no. written on it) cause I renewed my passport. And due to Covid and everything being closed, my application hasn’t been processed yet.

my first choice is to attend to UoA, but! I still don’t know if they will defer my admission but I’m hopeful about it. So what happens when I apply using UoA’s offer THEN they send me a new offer cause of the deferral ?

what would happen if I applied using UoM’s offer ? How can I change the institute later ? And what happens if I applied to UoM but UoA doesn’t defer my admission ? Wouldn’t be better to apply with UoA’s current offer (Sep 2020)so I can be processed faster ? September is close.

and for the ID/ residency permit here. The problem is, I don’t wanna submit incomplete documents or submitting something and changing everything later. I think it might affect my chances into having a study permit.

sorry for the long ass post, but I am really confused, and don’t know what to do. I just wanna submit as soon as possible, time is running out!
Hello, you mind sharing your profile. I applied for MEng Civil at UoM for may intake. As well, dis you get supervisor before applying as I have written series of mail to potential supervisors still no reply from any.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello

Your application won’t be processed faster because you have Fall admission. At this point you won’t hear back about your permit for fall admission.

Tresh

Star Member
Jan 13, 2020
Your application won’t be processed faster because you have Fall admission. At this point you won’t hear back about your permit for fall admission.
I couldn't have made it for January intake as my study leave can only be activated by March 2021 by my company, so that's why I went for spring (may) intake. So just want to know how long it will take for decision for may 2021 intake.

okjaber

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
So you would advise to just apply using UoM offer, and then later just change it to UoA after receiving my study permit ? Regardless if I got the deferral or not ? And by that I do not have to re apply right ?

okjaber

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
The only time your residency permit is relevant is for proving you have legal status in the country you're applying from.

If you apply and then get a deferral you could cancel your study permit application and apply again later. To be honest, I doubt you can get a permit in time for September and the borders are closed anyways so you wouldn't be allowed to travel to Canada.

You can change the university on your permit at any time on the website, e.g. from UoM to UoA.
So you advise me to just apply for UoM offer (Jan 2021) and that’s it. And change the university later after receiving my permit ?

okjaber

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
Hello, you mind sharing your profile. I applied for MEng Civil at UoM for may intake. As well, dis you get supervisor before applying as I have written series of mail to potential supervisors still no reply from any.
Yes I already have potential supervisors for both universities

okjaber

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
I couldn't have made it for January intake as my study leave can only be activated by March 2021 by my company, so that's why I went for spring (may) intake. So just want to know how long it will take for decision for may 2021 intake.
I honestly don’t know, but May 2021 is way too far to know now in my opinion

okjaber

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
Can I change the university after submitting my application but before receiving the permit ? And would it change anything at all ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sorry was answering OPs question. Yes you can apply for Spring intake. It will likely be months until you hear from the school about whether you have been accepted.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So you advise me to just apply for UoM offer (Jan 2021) and that’s it. And change the university later after receiving my permit ?
Wouldn’t apply for U of M Fall because you won’t get an answer from a CIC by The fall and then you are leaving the university with an open spot. Would ask if U of M will defer your admission to Winter. Would then ask U of A when you can expect an answer. I don’t think it fair for you to accept the offer from U of M and wait months before changing schools. If you can change schools early enough so U of M can find another student then go for it. U of M should already realize that there is a huge student permit approval backlog so many will not hear before September.

okjaber

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
Wouldn’t apply for U of M Fall because you won’t get an answer from a CIC by The fall and then you are leaving the university with an open spot. Would ask if U of M will defer your admission to Winter. Would then ask U of A when you can expect an answer. I don’t think it fair for you to accept the offer from U of M and wait months before changing schools. If you can change schools early enough so U of M can find another student then go for it. U of M should already realize that there is a huge student permit approval backlog so many will not hear before September.
No UoM, I am already accepted for the Winter 2021
It’s UoA that is this Sep and want it to get deferred.

I totally agree with you about telling them early. But the thing is if UoA didn’t defer my admission, I still might go to UoM. I don’t want to study this Sep online without a study permit. First, I would pay a lot for not even being in campus, second, any term that starts before having a permit won’t be counted for when applying to PGWP later.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No UoM, I am already accepted for the Winter 2021
It’s UoA that is this Sep and want it to get deferred.
Would ask U of A what kind of timeline yoù are looking at to know if you can defer to Winter. If they say a few weeks wait and apply. If not apply with U Of M if you plan on attending U of M if you can’t get deferred.

Reactions: okjaber

okjaber

Star Member
Apr 11, 2020
Would ask U of A what kind of timeline yoù are looking at to know if you can defer to Winter. If they say a few weeks wait and apply. If not apply with U Of M if you plan on attending U of M if you can’t get deferred.
I asked them about a month ago (few days fewer than a month). Just the day before yesterday I sent a follow up email to ask them when I should expect to hear back from them. And now I’m waiting if they would respond.
thank you so much